Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Real people V Photographers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 2:05 PM

So you know what this fabled "Photoshop" is then Jools Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jul 2012 - 2:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 2:09 PM

You should already know the answer to this Ade.

keith selmes
13 Jul 2012 - 2:10 PM

Quote: Seemed to get by far the most "likes" and comments of all the shots I put on FB so chose it, out of probably 20 candidates, so put on here. So far it got 10 clicks.

So really this is a difference between voters on Facebook and Ephotozine, which is not necessarily a difference between photographers and "real" people. People have said before, they use multiple sites for photography, and get quite different reactions to the same work.

There might be a difference between photographers in general and non photographers in general, but I doubt Ephotozine votes are a good way of assessing that. When I have looked, I often have seen superb work here with very few votes, and I tend not to take much notice of on line voting systems.

If you're trying to market a product, or promote your business activities, the like score on FB or Twitter might be very relevant, otherwise I'm not so sure.

An afterthought, if I hit the Like button on FB, it probably will be for personal or family reasons, and if it's a photo, it's probably not got much to do with it's intrinsic value and more to do with what it's about. Photographers are real people too you know. I suppose, when I'm using Facebook (ugh), my mode dial is on R more often than P.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 2:32 PM

Quote: You should already know the answer to this Ade.

I do indeed

Just thought it would be an interesting discussion

ade_mcfade
13 Jul 2012 - 2:33 PM

quite apt that your avatar is a dinosaur Keith Wink

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 3:12 PM

Quote: People have said before, they use multiple sites for photography, and get quite different reactions to the same work.

You only need to look at the comments on the thread about the Deutsche Bourse competition to see that!

ade_mcfade
13 Jul 2012 - 3:36 PM

Facebook isn't really a "photography" site - it's "social", aimed at inane wibble and rants, often which include photos... usually of drunk people or funny things.

Stuff arrives on your wall and you can look or scoot past - that's your choice.

Most "interaction" comes from visual things, or amusing questions. Many of the recent threads I'[ve started on here were on Facebook first - the ones about removing one letter and changing one word to "meat".

I wasn't really expecting the "great shots get overlooked on EPZ" debate to open up - that's as old as the site itself - rather the observation that different interest groups have different "likes" - and that our potential customers, those "non photographers" tend to like things different to what our "photographer" friends like... and if you're trying to "impress photographers" you're probably not going to get many sales from "non-photographers" as they're into different things... and that doesn't matter if you're not selling.... but if you are then it's maybe something to consider next time you rev Colour EFEX upto 11 and add 6 layers of filters, a texture layer and some false lightening....?

Probably a blog in that actually.... #heads off to ponder new blog post#

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 4:22 PM

Quote: So you know what this fabled "Photoshop" is then Jools

Of course. It's the little place where I go to buy my glass plates.... Wink

ade_mcfade
13 Jul 2012 - 8:49 PM

you're a strange one.... Wink

scottishphototours

Oh and another thing - in general, people appreciate a photograph as it appeals to them on an emotional level. By this point we've had the emotional stuffing knocked out of us, so we're too busy looking past the emotional content and looking for all the problems (as someone else said earlier) or the things we don't actually LIKE about an image.

Took great delight in snapping a wee guy with Downs Syndrome today at a wedding. First time in a kilt, Mum and Dad so proud of him. Got him to run toward the camera (a la Braveheart) and the resulting few frames reduced Mum to tears there and then....just brilliant, and she'll have an image to treasure for the rest of her life. Better feedback on a few frames from that Mum than I've got from any other photographer on here or anywhere else. I honestly think that as photographers many on here have lost the joy that our skills can bring to others and would be better served sharing away from photographers, the most negative of all viewers...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 11:11 PM

Quote: Why do "real people" and "photographers" see photos differently?

Real people see things as they are

photographers see things as there not.

SmileSmile

ade_mcfade
14 Jul 2012 - 10:58 AM

Photographers change reality Wink

..........must resist cloning everything out!!!!

DOH - failed again, we live in a world without planes, power cables or litter!!

Wink

Jestertheclown
14 Jul 2012 - 11:14 AM

Quote: ..........must resist cloning everything out!!!!

Tricky one that Ade.

I remember you saying once that you'd pretty much given up on removing litter bins and so on from your shots because, in reality, they are actually there and it set me thinking along the same lines to a large extent.

There could be a separate thread in this. " To clone or not to clone . . . ?"

User_Removed
14 Jul 2012 - 11:59 AM

Facebook friends will Like your photo because they are your friends. It's often the occasion they like - eg Birthday Party - rather than the composition alone.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jul 2012 - 12:16 PM

Some EPZ members will Like a gallery comment because you have commented mildly favourably on their photo.

Sort of Liking a Like! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.