Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rear-fit polariser on telephoto

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2009 - 1:48 PM

Has anyone tried the rear-fit polariser in any of the manufacturers long lenses?

The reason I am interested is that I have some shots to do in the next few weeks which will require a slow shutter speed, but I do not want to stop down the aperture, because it will ruin the effect.

So the alternative option once I have lowered ISO, etc. is to fit a polariser.

At the moment I just have the standard rear fit filter in each of my lenses, but as the polariser fits all 3 it is not so expensive relatively as if it were specific to each lens.

So:
    1) How easy are they to adjust?
    2) As effective as a normal polariser?

Any other advice?

Thanks
    Cheryl

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Mar 2009 - 1:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tonyd3
    Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2009 - 4:27 PM

Hi Cheryl

as you know i have the 200 f2, when i was in New York last October i bought the 3CPL for the 200, i understand the 300,400,500 and 600 all use the same CPL but not the 200.

Fits the same as the Skylight that comes with the lens but has an additional small wheel for ajusting the effect works very well, but i need to put a small mark with white paint so i can quickly adjust to the best effect quickly otherwise no problems and as i cant use a normal polariser on the front i cant say if its better or not. but it does work and i tend to leave it in the lens most of the time as it works well on car windows for sport shots so i would guess it will work for you.

Tony

Last Modified By Tonyd3 at 24 Mar 2009 - 4:30 PM
    csurry
    24 Mar 2009 - 4:40 PM

Thanks Tony, apparently the CPL1L fits all three lenses, phoned Grays to check as Warehouse did not know.

Couldn't find anything conclusive on the internet, so have gone with Grays opinion on the one needed.

Since I have a number of shoots planned in the next few months where there is the possibility of too much light for the effect that I want I have decided to bite the bullet so to speak and get one to be shared between the 3 lenses.

It'll pay for itself if they come off Wink

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2009 - 5:37 PM

Quote: which will require a slow shutter speed....

Just curious.
    If that is the effect you want why would a ND filter not be appropriate ?

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2009 - 7:01 PM

was wondering about the same thing as Jeff.

csurry
    24 Mar 2009 - 8:20 PM

Cos they don't make a rear fit one to my knowledge. It could be that any 52mm filter would fit the holder, but I could not find any details on this.

Worth pursuing, but unless anyone can confirm that it would not adversely affect the AF ability then I'd rather go with the Nikon option than trying something unknown as I only have two attempts at the first subject. Wouldn't want to waste one session on something that affected the AF, but will look into this as a future option.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2009 - 8:30 PM

why must it be rear fit? is it because the filter thread/size will be too big?

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 24 Mar 2009 - 8:31 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.