Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recently Gone Digital

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dynexclick
    15 Jul 2007 - 1:21 PM

Hi guys and girls,

I've recently half half gone digital with a canon eos 400D. Just wondered what other peoples experiences where whilst undergoing the transition?

I'm a lover of black and white film, and really hate to leave it behind but I don't really have the space for a darkroom, plus smelling the house out with chemicals. Also, the price of processing colour film has gone up astronomically. All these reasons have made me decide to go digital but I have a massive guilt complex at the moment.

Thanks for your interest in this topc

Stuart.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jul 2007 - 1:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PSILVERMAN
    15 Jul 2007 - 1:41 PM

There is no reason to feel guilty,I made the transition to digital over 2 years ago and never regretted it for a moment.
    My work has improved beyond all recognition and I would never go back to film.
    Film is in it's death throes and it's time has come and gone.
    Onwards and upwards.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2007 - 2:03 PM

I was with the same train of thought a couple of years back regarding B&W.
    The downside is the dynamic range of digital takes time to get to grips with.
    A new learning curve presents itself on the technical side while seeing and taking shots remains exactly the same, with lots more freedom. Wink
    Ken

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2007 - 2:18 PM

Quote: My work has improved beyond all recognition

I take it that you mean your ability to see shots. If that be the case then I would put that down to the ease and less restraint on the conscious cost involved.
    I take your point. It has opened lots more doors.
    Ken

blackbird
    blackbird  7159 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2007 - 2:36 PM

Quote: All these reasons have made me decide to go digital but I have a massive guilt complex at the moment.

Don't feel guilty, just enjoy the opportunities that digital capture offers....
    take as many pictures as time will allow, no financial constraints regarding developing,
    then play on the computer Smile
    It's all good fun Smile

keith selmes
    15 Jul 2007 - 3:12 PM

Quote: Film is in it's death throes and it's time has come and gone.

I thought we'd got past this sort of twaddle.

Quote: I have a massive guilt complex

Don't really follow that either.
    Digital photography is simply another methodology, and if you can afford the initial investment, it has a lot to offer. Theres no obligation to follow any kind of photography. There do sometimes seem to be people on a moral crusade of one kind or another, best ignore them, do what suits.
    Wish I had space for a dark room though.
    Wouldn't stop me doing mostly digital, but I could do the film more easily.

dynexclick
    15 Jul 2007 - 3:27 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I do love doing black and white hand prints, they are far more superior and satifying to look at than a digital output. However, most colour film is scanned before it is printed to photographic paper.

I'm seeing digital photography as a way of openning up a larger audience to my work. Traditional darkroom is time consuming and what do I do with the print once its done? Well the walls full enough so most of them end up in folders never to see the light of day.

At least with digital and the world wide web I have that expanded audience.

KenTaylor
    15 Jul 2007 - 4:16 PM

Quote: black and white hand prints, they are far more superior and satifying to look at than a digital output.

Some would question that, while I don't Smile

Quote: At least with digital and the world wide web I have that expanded audience.

Agreed. Just one of the many doors it has opened.
    Ken

ckristoff
    ckristoff  10938 forum posts Wales
    15 Jul 2007 - 7:48 PM

Dynexclick,

let us know how you get on, as I'm still in the film age.

Astronomical, why? I sent off 3 slide films to Metro Colour Lab, for only 14.40. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Frank.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.