Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recommend a good insect repellant please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
lee beel
lee beel  10237 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 - 9:29 AM

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone could recommend a good insect repellant. I've been photographing round ponds recently and there are lots of ginormous gnats around!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jun 2008 - 9:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 9:41 AM

Avon "Skin So Soft" moisturiser in spray form, the green version (can't remember the name of the fragrance off the top of my head)! Don't laugh - it really does work!!

imander
imander  7388 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 10:06 AM

a natural remedy apparently is taking garlic tablets, it flavours the blood which biting insects dont like...also helpful for fighting off vampires...lol
ian

riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 10:09 AM

any citrus based sprays

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 10:09 AM

Jungle Formula is very good, you can get it in different strengths and places like Blacks sell it.

One word of warning though, when using any strong repellant make sure you wash your hands before you touch your camera. The stuff can dissolve the paint on your camera's buttons.

Ian

GaryR
GaryR  71348 forum posts England
11 Jun 2008 - 10:33 AM

I have also heard that Avon skin so soft is excellent. I was told that the army use it as it is one of the most effective insect repellants around.

Gary.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
11 Jun 2008 - 10:39 AM

Anything that is 90-something % deet.

Beware, it can melt plastic....

Wink

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 10:41 AM

Watch out for anything containing DEET. It is good, but it's also carcinogenic (and it eats plastics for breakfast). I would second the odourless garlic tablets. Pure citronella oil is great too, and a little goes a long way.

markharrop
markharrop  10191 forum posts England
11 Jun 2008 - 10:43 AM

Apparently eating Marmite works - Can't stand the stuff myself. I use a natural roll on repellent from Superdrug. Doesn't use the nasty stuff and seems to work.

Also, get one of those Clicker things from Boots/Superdrugs, if you get bitten, click on the bite and give instant relief.

Bite relief

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 10:52 AM

Quote: Beware, it can melt plastic....

Yepp.

11thearlofmar
11 Jun 2008 - 10:58 AM

I can tell you how to attract them. Park at Tarn Hows and walk up the hill to the high viewpoint to wait for a sunset. Make sure you are a tad sweaty when you get there. The little buggers had a feast on me. Despite a long sleaved shirt my arms look like a dot to dot puzzle. (I might join them up, see if theres a hidden message) I ended up with my tee shirt pulled over my head and a tissue trapped in the neck with holes for my eyes - i looked like the elephant man (in more ways than one some would say - must diet)
Sunset wasn't brilliant either ! moan ! moan ! moan !

Alan

Last Modified By 11thearlofmar at 11 Jun 2008 - 10:58 AM
discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 11:02 AM

Quote: Apparently eating Marmite works

...on people too Wink

AnthonyM
AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 11:52 AM

Not sure about the tablets, but I can attest that garlic really works even on the big mosquitoes in the back woods of the US and Candian Rockies! Did that a few years ago when backpacking. I was able to leave the weight of repellent behind.

Only thing is you have to start eating them regularly (every few hours) a day or two in advance to really build up that good garlic taste/smell in your blood. Smile

Recently I tried some sort of Bio-safe, non-DEET repellent and to my surprise it worked great.
Active ingredient was "2-Phenethyl Propionate ... 2.5%".

bangalicious
11 Jun 2008 - 11:59 AM

Petrol? Smile

NevP
NevP  9853 forum posts Canada13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2008 - 12:15 PM

Old Spice?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.