Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Recommend a good insect repellant please

lee beel 10 237 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 9:29AM
Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone could recommend a good insect repellant. I've been photographing round ponds recently and there are lots of ginormous gnats around!

Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyI e2
10 344 3 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 9:41AM
Avon "Skin So Soft" moisturiser in spray form, the green version (can't remember the name of the fragrance off the top of my head)! Don't laugh - it really does work!!
imander 7 388 7 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 10:06AM
a natural remedy apparently is taking garlic tablets, it flavours the blood which biting insects dont like...also helpful for fighting off vampires...lol
ian
riprap007 10 1.6k 37 England
11 Jun 2008 10:09AM
any citrus based sprays
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 10:09AM
Jungle Formula is very good, you can get it in different strengths and places like Blacks sell it.

One word of warning though, when using any strong repellant make sure you wash your hands before you touch your camera. The stuff can dissolve the paint on your camera's buttons.

Ian
GaryR 8 1.3k England
11 Jun 2008 10:33AM
I have also heard that Avon skin so soft is excellent. I was told that the army use it as it is one of the most effective insect repellants around.

Gary.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 10:39AM
Anything that is 90-something % deet.

Beware, it can melt plastic....

Wink
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 10:41AM
Watch out for anything containing DEET. It is good, but it's also carcinogenic (and it eats plastics for breakfast). I would second the odourless garlic tablets. Pure citronella oil is great too, and a little goes a long way.
markharrop 10 191 England
11 Jun 2008 10:43AM
Apparently eating Marmite works - Can't stand the stuff myself. I use a natural roll on repellent from Superdrug. Doesn't use the nasty stuff and seems to work.

Also, get one of those Clicker things from Boots/Superdrugs, if you get bitten, click on the bite and give instant relief.

[link=null]Bite relief [/link]
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 10:52AM

Quote:Beware, it can melt plastic....

Yepp.
11 Jun 2008 10:58AM
I can tell you how to attract them. Park at Tarn Hows and walk up the hill to the high viewpoint to wait for a sunset. Make sure you are a tad sweaty when you get there. The little buggers had a feast on me. Despite a long sleaved shirt my arms look like a dot to dot puzzle. (I might join them up, see if theres a hidden message) I ended up with my tee shirt pulled over my head and a tissue trapped in the neck with holes for my eyes - i looked like the elephant man (in more ways than one some would say - must diet)
Sunset wasn't brilliant either ! moan ! moan ! moan !

Alan
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2008 11:02AM

Quote:Apparently eating Marmite works

...on people too Wink
AnthonyM 9 388 2 United States
11 Jun 2008 11:52AM
Not sure about the tablets, but I can attest that garlic really works even on the big mosquitoes in the back woods of the US and Candian Rockies! Did that a few years ago when backpacking. I was able to leave the weight of repellent behind.

Only thing is you have to start eating them regularly (every few hours) a day or two in advance to really build up that good garlic taste/smell in your blood. Smile

Recently I tried some sort of Bio-safe, non-DEET repellent and to my surprise it worked great.
Active ingredient was "2-Phenethyl Propionate ... 2.5%".
bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
11 Jun 2008 11:59AM
Petrol? Smile
NevP 9 853 13 Canada
11 Jun 2008 12:15PM
Old Spice?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.