Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recommend a good quality photobook?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kate78
    kate78  4
    12 Oct 2009 - 5:20 PM

I hope some of you might be able to help me. We got married earlier in the year and had a professional take our photographs. For various reasons we now need to get these into some form of album / presentable form ourselves.

For reasons of cost and style we're swaying towards a photobook but after spending hours searching forums such as this I'm still undecided as to which company I should go with.

We're looking at the higher end offering, as we'd like A3 (or similar) landscape, with a leather cover (padded slightly?), well bound with good quality paper and obviously good print quality.

Loxley comes up a lot but as we're not professional photographers, I think we're going to have to go with a more consumer option. The probook from yophoto is probably the best we've found so far online (in my opinion) but if anyone else has any other ideas I'd be really grateful.
    Thanks.

Last Modified By kate78 at 12 Oct 2009 - 5:21 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Oct 2009 - 5:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

guidoa
    guidoa  121319 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Oct 2009 - 6:52 PM

I was very satisfied with Blurb, a USA company but the product comes from Holland reasonably quickly.

toneb75
    toneb75  4187 forum posts England
    12 Oct 2009 - 7:03 PM

Digital Photo magazine recently did a test on 6 photobook companies and Blurb came out top (Best value and Web Interface) with Albelli second (marginally better Print Quality and Build/Finsh than Blurb). I have not used any myself but have heard good things about Blurb and Albelli.

Albelli also offer leather covers from what I read in the review.

Others on test were :

CEWE
    FOTOBOOK
    MYPHOTOBOOK
    PHOTOBOX

MYPHOTOBOOK did not come out too bad on test for print quality and build/finish and was on par with BLURB

Tony

KathyW
    KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2009 - 7:19 PM

I've heard good things about Blurb, and I did get round to downloading the software, but haven't as yet tried one of their books.
    One I would definitely not recommend is Photobox... I had one from them a few years back and it wasn't bad for the money. Then I ordered one a few months ago and it was utterly ghastly!
    The print quality was comparable to a bad newsprint, the cover of the book was marked and badly finished, and the cut out in the centre of the cover looked like it had been done by a five year old armed with a blunt stanley knife.
    Needless to say I was unimpressed, but to be fair to Photobox, I have always been happy with their prints, and they did refund my money without quibble.

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2009 - 7:34 PM

I took the plunge last week and ordered one from Albelli; I'm now awaiting delivery and will let you know what I think when it arrives. I sent it off last Wednesday evening (7 Oct) and got an email saying delivery in 10 days. On Friday (9 Oct) I had an email saying it had been dispatched. I await its arrival with baited breath having read another post on here saying they can take weeks to actually arrive! I chose them on the basis of the DP review (and the discount offered)

scottishphototours

You can register for Loxley ROES on-line at their site and download it and start designing your own album. Quality is superb and turnaround in 10 days max.

If there are any problems, call them up and explain your position - they are very accommodating people and great to deal with.

Either that or get one of their customers (ahem....) to do it for you and get it shipped to you.

Andy.

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Oct 2009 - 11:45 PM

Blurb is excellent quality and very good value for money. It does depend on your budget though. If you have a bit more to spend then Loxley is one of the best.

kate78
    kate78  4
    13 Oct 2009 - 9:21 AM

Thanks so much for all your help! I have read good things about Blurb but it looks like I had to have a printed cover from their website (albeit with a dust jacket) and we'd prefer a leather or fabric cover if possible.

I'd be really interested to hear what the Albelli one's like though, if you could let me know Scutter I'd be really grateful.

Otherwise I might download the software for a few and have a play and that might also help in my decision. I may be back for Loxley advice (Andy!)

trivets12
    trivets12  101149 forum posts
    13 Oct 2009 - 9:37 AM

Kate,
    I use the Kodak Photobooks for some of my clients, who cannot afford the top end albums, and the large one which is 14" x 12" has leather covers. I design the layouts in photoshop then upload and just fill the book online.
    I haven't had any problems with them and some of my samples are more than a couple of years old and still look great. Haven't fallen apart or gone off colour.
    Hope this helps,
    Trudy

boxer57
    boxer57  785 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Oct 2009 - 2:12 PM

I use MyPublisher and the quality and service is excellent, they are based in USA but turnaround is very quick, my order took just 5 days from uploading pictures to receiving the album.
    They offer different styles for the covers including leather.

Steve.

Tricia
    Tricia e2 Member 8325 forum postsTricia vcard Ireland
    13 Oct 2009 - 5:12 PM

Look here at our new section and support EPZ at the same time

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Oct 2009 - 6:16 PM

And we did a round up of Photobooks here: Photobook Buyers' Guide

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.