Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recommend a photography book?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JohnHawthorne
    29 Mar 2012 - 4:48 PM

Can you recommend a good photography book? As always I'm wanting to learn and have recently read The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman - a truly brilliant book that I found easy to read and one of the very few photography books I've read from cover to cover. I'm interested in general photography books, or those about lighting/studio lighting or about street photography. I don't need to be told the basics although sometimes it helps to be reminded!

What are your 'must reads' of photography then?

Feel free to link to other threads that offer suggestions as well.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Mar 2012 - 4:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2012 - 4:50 PM

If you are at all interested in Photoshop, this is well worth considering.

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2012 - 4:59 PM

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is my recommendation for essential photography reading. Its well written and extremely informative. It also achieves a good balance between not being overly technical yet not being condescending either. I learned such a lot from it.

JohnHawthorne
    29 Mar 2012 - 5:02 PM

Thanks CB. I would need to buy Photoshop first though so not really relevant to me. I've never ruled that option completely out but have always baulked at the price and just can't see it happening any time soon.

lemmy
    lemmy  61675 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Mar 2012 - 5:03 PM

If you are interested in news and feature editorial photography, the best book ever is by Harold Evans, who used to be editor of The Sunday Times. One of the few editors who truly understood photography and photographers.

The book is quite old but just as relevant as ever. It is called Pictures On A Page.

Anyone with any interest in the field should own this book.

JohnHawthorne
    29 Mar 2012 - 5:07 PM

Good recommendation Ewan! That book is one of the very few others that I've read cover to cover and I also agree with your comments about it. Great book.

Haven't heard of that one lemmy, so I'll have to get it ..thanks.

Techno
    Techno  5932 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2012 - 5:24 PM

Quote: If you are at all interested in Photoshop, this is well worth considering.

Thanks CB just what I wanted....

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2012 - 5:32 PM

Have a look at our photography book review section John
    You can filter down to category and then search by rating (5 stars appear first). Some real gems in there Smile

JohnHawthorne
    29 Mar 2012 - 5:36 PM

Brilliant! To my shame I didn't even know that section existed, is there anything this site can't do? Thanks Pete!

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2012 - 5:38 PM

Quote: To my shame I didn't even know that section existed

It's just another bit of the huge resource that people either forget or never discover Smile

HouseMartin
    29 Mar 2012 - 6:09 PM

Got to agree with lemmy re. Pictures on a Page. It is one of the few photography books that has stayed on my bookshelf these past ...mumble mumble.... years and is regularly re-visited for inspiration.

Just looked over at it and will probably be having a flick-through this evening now Smile

Paul

PS. And I must go and check out the photography book reviews now ...oops,

lemmy
    lemmy  61675 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Mar 2012 - 6:22 PM

Quote: It is one of the few photography books that has stayed on my bookshelf these past ...mumble mumble.... years and is regularly re-visited for inspiration.

Yes, me too. I like that Evans knows little or nothing about technicalities but is fascinated by and admires both photography and photographers.

Unlike one picture editor I knew who used to get so frustrated with some of his photographers that he would go in the photographers room and kick their lockers in while they were out on a job. Grin

jimthistle73
    29 Mar 2012 - 7:52 PM

Not aimed specifically at photographers, but John Berger's Ways of Seeing is an amazing read - really, truly eye-opening. It forces you to look at images in a whole new light, your own photos as well as others'. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.