Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Recommendation for R220 replacement?

Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
14 Aug 2013 8:51AM
My Epson R220 seems to have finally bitten the dust. It wouldn't print (making a horrible banging noise), now it will, but almost all the colours are blocked on a test print, and it refuses to clean because one colour is "low". I don't really want to spend another 20 quid just to hope it will clean OK.

So, time for a replacement. I really liked the R220, particularly when I won the President's Cup for the first time at my camera club, and an older member who had been "in the business" refused to believe I had printed the photos myself on a 60 quid printer.

I have a cheapo HP printer that I bought, well, because it was so cheap (got it through the staff store), but quality is dreadful.

I'm after a replacement that will offer me similar or better quality, without spending hundreds. Only needed A4 up to now, but might consider A3 if the size of the printer itself isn't too big.
Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

14 Aug 2013 9:53AM
I had an R800 which stopped loading paper after 10 years of light use. I currently have a Canon MG5450. Quality is good but it's an all-in-one printer so you may not need the scanner part. You can get a Canon equivalent without the extras. I paid 80 for mine but got 30 cashback.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
14 Aug 2013 1:05PM
I moved from Epson printers to Canon printers and don't regret it for one moment. The quality is every bit as good and the biggest advantage is that I don't feel I have to print something every couple of days just for the sake of making sure the printer doesn't keep suffering from clogged heads. Not all Epson printers are as bad as each other of course, with the 3880 model being very good in this respect.
However, with the Canon models I now have, I sometimes go up to a month without switching them on and touch wood no problems whatsoever.

I use a Canon Pixma iP4950 (A4) printer and a Canon Pixma iX6550 (A3) printer. Both relatively inexpensive at approximately 70 for the iP4950 and about 120 for the iP6550 (with a promotional cashback offer at the time). Although I don't know what the current prices are or if they've changed much.

The output quality is excellent and every bit as good as printers costing many times more. The only possible downside is the black & white output probably wouldn't be as good as a more expensive model, which would have more ink cartridges, specifically designed for monochrome printing. The printer price goes up quite dramatically as you would imagine. The Canon Pro 1, for instance, would be better suited for monochrome and colour work.
The other main advantage of going for a more expensive model would be larger capacity ink cartridges and cheaper running costs, which is one disadvantage of the more consumer based printers. This may or may not be an issue depending on how much printing you do.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
27 Nov 2013 7:51PM
Anyone else got any thoughts? I chucked my Epson in the loft and got the HP one down and confirmed that it is ***** and going in the bin tomorrow.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
27 Nov 2013 8:00PM
Justin must be really lucky with his canons. Mine's going in the bin when this current set of inks runs out, which will be next time I turn the thing on. Absolutely a waste of ink and money with the continual unnecessary cleaning. I too would really love a new printer but it won't be a Canon.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2013 6:53PM
Well, I ended up with a Canon Pixma MG7150, as they were going cheap on one of Amazon's Black Friday Lightning Deals. Just installed it and the print quality looks fab.
I guess I'll have to wait and see what my verdict is on the ink usage and unnecessary cleaning.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
7 Dec 2013 7:24PM

Quote:Well, I ended up with a Canon Pixma MG7150, as they were going cheap on one of Amazon's Black Friday Lightning Deals. Just installed it and the print quality looks fab. I guess I'll have to wait and see what my verdict is on the ink usage and unnecessary cleaning.

Let me know how you do find the ink usage. Perhaps they've improved things since the MG6150. I never had any quibble with print quality, just the ink drainage.
Smile
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
7 Dec 2013 8:31PM
To give an idea of ink usage on the Canon iP6550 A3+ printer. Printing colour images on an A3 sheet with an even 2cm margin all round. I got 17 prints before the yellow ink ran out, one further print before the magenta ran out and then one more A3 print before the cyan cartridge was empty. The two black cartridges remained 3/4 full. A print head alignment page was also printed and several nozzle check pages (an old habit from once owning Epson printer's, but thankfully not needed on the Canon printer, even after several weeks of non-use). The prints were also made in many separate sessions. I assume you would squeeze a few more prints from the cartridges with fewer print sessions.
So, not too bad considering the minuscule cartridges. The printer certainly does seem to be constantly whirring away at every opportunity, but whether it's wasting ink by constantly cleaning the nozzles I don't know. Reading some of the experiences with people trying to unblock the large format Epson printers really does bring a tear to your eye when you hear how much ink they sometimes have to waste from the considerably bigger and hugely more expensive cartridges.
On the other hand, I believe that the larger Canon printers take care of the head cleaning automatically and remap from clogged nozzles to free ones without user intervention. The only problem with that is that the print heads will need changing eventually and at quite significant cost.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
7 Dec 2013 10:55PM
Well my MG6150 used to clean itself every time I turned it on, so I left it turned on in an attempt to stop it. But it didn't work. And there's no way you can stop the automatic cleaning either. There are some convoluted suggestions I found on line but the bottom line is that this constant wastage of ink is unacceptable. I won't be buying another Canon, or any other home photo printer, until it's sorted out.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2013 9:37AM
If you don't mind spending a bit more and giving a little more space to the printer I can recommend the Epson R3000. I have no problems with nozzle blockage or repeated cleaning cycles and my ink use works out at around 0.09p / sq inch - including any wastage (so less than 1.50 for a 15"x10" print)

That figure is averaged over several thousands of prints (the paper I use costs more than the ink! Wink )
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
8 Dec 2013 9:48AM
I'll have a look at that Brian. Thanks. Smile
brian1208 e2
8 Dec 2013 10:22AM
should have said, its a pigment printer which means you get the best results (stunning!) on Satin and fine art papers, not so good if you want gloss (where I think the R2000 is tops, but I have no experience with that)
FredDee e2
1 56 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2013 10:39AM
Brian, do you use Epson ink cartridges or a 3rd party make ?
brian1208 e2
8 Dec 2013 10:58AM
Epson originals, as I print to sell in the majority of cases I want to be sure of the archival properties (I select my papers taking account of their archival properties as well)

I know several people who use the various continuous ink feed systems and swear by them (apparently saving a lot of money too)

I had a chat with on company at Focus earlier this year and asked the obvious question, "What happens if my system fails because of using their product?"

Their response immediately put me off ever using them "Keep the original cartridges and put them back in and don't tell Epson you were using our system" (But that may just be me being old fashioned Wink )

Also, doing this and having my system properly calibrated means that I never have to print an image more than once as I know it will come out the same way each time I print it. Whereas they seem to be often moaning about having to re-calibrate when they change inks etc, so I reckon it probably evens out the costs over time, particularly if you factor in the expense of wasted fine art papers
FredDee e2
1 56 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2013 11:05AM
Thanks Brian Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.