Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recommendations For a New Phone

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

paulcookphotography

I know its probably a contentious issue, but can anyone give me some advice on a potential new phone

I currently have an iPhone 4S and have used iPhones for years. I've always been perfectly happy with them and the only reason i am looking at other brands is that i live in the countryside so the 4G on the iPhone 5 is not available to me and i dont see the point n paying more for features i cant use on a daily basis

I have had a Samsung S3 as a back up phone, but went through three of them due to a fault in the battery shorting the phone and screen damage through heat (possibly battery again)

The phone needs to have a decent storage capacity for music and pics, and also a fairly decent camera. Yes, i have several cameras from the Nikon D4 down to the Nikon 1, but i never leave the house without a phone so it makes sens to have a good camera in it too. It would preferably have access to apps like snapseed and instagram (what i currently use when editing/posting pics on my iPhone) and a decent sized screen (another year before i hit 40, but thy eyes aint as good as they were!)

So, what would you choose? The HTC One sounds interesting in features, but their history isnt great. Samsung S4 sounds nice, but also sounds lik its more shiny bits than an actual new phone from the S3. Or do i just get the iPhone 5 since i already have a tonne of apps and it will lnk with my ipad and ipod touch (and the car!)?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Mar 2013 - 10:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6534 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 11:13 PM

My wife and I both have the Samsung S3 and love them but you have had a bad experience so that will put you off them, I do not like change, I have always stayed with Canon ever since I started photography for instance and for that reason if I was you I would stay with what you know and go for the Iphone 5, I am sure you will regret it if you don't.

paulcookphotography

hi Gary

I dont mind change so much, but i do know what you mean.

I am just trying to work out if another brand will/can offer me more than what i have. To be honest, if i could replace my (falling apart after much abuse) 4S like for like at a sensible price i would. I will be moving house soon (as in this year) and although i may not move to a 4G area, i will be closer), and i know when the next iPhone comes out (6, rather than 5s)i would probably revert back. Then there is the rumoured baby/budget iPhone that would act as a time filler...

Why cant my cars and cameras just have phones built in, haha! Makes life easier! Except my daughter would then want my old car...

Nooooo

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6534 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 12:11 AM

My boy as the 5s and thinks its great, he says that the 4g is amazing.

Ray12
Ray12 e2 Member 175 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 5:37 AM

Have you thought about the Sony Xperia Z..... for 1 thing it is water proof Grin

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 7:43 AM

I have a Samsung E1190. It makes really good phone calls, 15 quid at Amazon Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014142 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 8:19 AM

Quote: It makes really good phone calls

Do people still use mobile phones for phone calls? seems like a bit of a gimmicky extra to me.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 8:38 AM

Have you thought about keeping your 4s?

I am still on a 4 and see no reason to upgrade at the moment. Also because I am out of the initial contract I am only paying 15 a month. If you can't get 4G and have invested in apps for your iPhone it doesn't make much sense to change as far as I can see, unless your 4s is faulty.

Ian

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 8:50 AM

Where possible I follow the philosophy if it does the job and it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

Erik

Last Modified By ErictheViking at 21 Mar 2013 - 8:50 AM
paulcookphotography

Quote: Have you thought about keeping your 4s?

I am still on a 4 and see no reason to upgrade at the moment. Also because I am out of the initial contract I am only paying 15 a month. If you can't get 4G and have invested in apps for your iPhone it doesn't make much sense to change as far as I can see, unless your 4s is faulty.

Ian

My 4s is a bit beaten up and isnt working quite as it should, although it has been a great phone up until i broke it. I'm not too bothered about the apps i have as i can still access them on my other iOS devices, but yeah, i am considering just replacing it with another 4s unless there is something that is significantly 'better'

Quote: Have you thought about the Sony Xperia Z..... for 1 thing it is water proof Grin

Hadnt thought about that one. Will have a nosey. Thanks

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2013 - 1:54 PM

significantly 'better' is not something apple has done in years.

If i was changing my S2 i would look at the sony or new s4.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 21 Mar 2013 - 1:56 PM
mshulver1
mshulver1  3 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 - 6:53 PM

i have a windows phone (samsung omnia w) great phone and operating system, much simplier and easier than android i find, mines windows 7.5, new windows 8 phones look amazing. no software problems, phone has never crashed and is fast.

onetrickpony
24 Mar 2013 - 11:17 PM

I now have a Samsung but I used to have a HTC. All I'll say is that HTC has its own version of Android (HTC Sense) which is much better than the standard android used by Samsung. Android phones take mini SD cards and 32 gb cards are cheap, and you can buy several if you really need them, so for starage andoir beats iphone hands down. Android also has a lot more free apps, most of the **** you pay for on iphones is free for android.

However, the iphone camera is better than all other phone cameras. Some reviews say a little differently, but my partner has an iphone 5 and it seems to take good photos in almost all conditions, whereas others take good photos sometimes, bad photos the rest. Apple spent a shitload of money on the r&d of their camera, which they can do because they only make one phone. If camera is your main thing, get an iphone 5.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014142 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 6:19 AM

Quote: which is much better than the standard android used by Samsung.

I thought only the Nexus phones use standard Android ? - most Samsung phones use "TouchWiz" AFAIK.

paulcookphotography

Thanks for your comments and advice folks

I decided to replace my 4S with another 4S

Its always been reliable, i already have a load of apps on my other iOS devices and have my Manfrotto Klyp case and lens attachments wouldnt be compatible with other phones. Upgrading to the iPhone 5 would currently be a waste of money for me as i am not in a 4G area. It would mean paying more every month for a feature i cant use

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.