Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recommendations for alternative to Canon Tripod Mount Ring for EF 70-200mm f/4L?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    24 Sep 2011 - 9:44 PM

Hi Folks,

I've generally quite successfully been using my EF 70-200mm f/4L on a tripod mounted 40D. However recently when I tried using this combination in fairly windy conditions I noticed that the lens tends to vibrate causing camera shake in my images. I'm therefore looking at using a Tripod Mount Ring but the Canon version is around 100 whereas there are quite a few alternatives available for around 20. However many of the reviews about these cheap alternatives complain about the lens' paint being scratched by the Tripod Mount Ring and so I was wondering if anybody has experience of them and can make any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Simon

Last Modified By psiman at 24 Sep 2011 - 9:46 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Sep 2011 - 9:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110291 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2011 - 10:03 PM

I've not tried a cheap version for the 70-200 but did get one from DHGate in China for my 70-300LIS and would not recommend it. It was poorly constructed (very difficult to line up the clamp screw with the threaded hole), felt very unstable unless clamped up very tight (not good as I like to use my tripod ring just nipped up but with the ability to quickly and smoothly rotate from landscape to portrait) and because of these weaknesses it doesn't get used. I'm saving for the proper canon ring

mikehit
    mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2011 - 10:02 PM

I bought this for my 70-200 f4L IS and ahve been very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tripod-Mount-Canon-EF70-200mm-EF200/dp/B002V80BC6/ref=s...

It is metal construction with a felt liner and I have not noticed any scratches on the lens barrel.

Last Modified By mikehit at 26 Sep 2011 - 10:12 PM
    LensYews
    LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2011 - 11:30 PM

The Canon ring mounts aren't completely sturdy if you are regularly going to be using the lens in windy conditions, so you might want to consider a telephoto lens support, something like the Manfrotto 293.

psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    4 Oct 2011 - 10:40 PM

Thanks Guys for all your comments. The Manfrotto looks sturdy but its a bit of a beast and not that cheap. I think I'll try Mike's Amazon offering first, it was the one I was considering before I started this thread.

Thanks again.

Simon

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.