Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recommendations for tripod

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4244 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2009 - 2:44 PM

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help getting a new tripod, don't really know much about them.

I'm looking for a tripod for landscape and HDR work, so it has to be very steady, I'm not bothered about the weight, not looking for carbon fibre or anything like that - wouldn't be able to get that on my budget anyway.

As you can tell, this is a starter tripod, but I don't want to just buy any old cheap crap that I end up replacing in a year. So I'm hoping that some people will be able to recommend something that will suit my needs.

My ideal budget is under 100.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2009 - 2:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Aug 2009 - 3:37 PM

Take a look at the Velbon Sherpa Range. I use the 600R, and am very pleased with it. Got it from Amazon for about 60.00 last year. Legs are adjustable so you can spread them wide (oo-err!!), and the centre column can be taken out and inverted too.

Its solid, and while not the lightest tripod around, it will keep your camera steady for those HDR shots.

Graywolf
    Graywolf  6964 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Aug 2009 - 8:29 PM

Manfrotto 190 is 86.99 but this is legs oly. You would need a head to go on it
    Manfrotto 484 mini 36.16

Slightly over your budget but good quality kit.

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4244 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2009 - 7:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, been looking at the Velbon Sherpa range, they seem pretty nice for the price they are.

Does anyone know if there's any real difference in sturdyness between the 550R and the 600R?

I can't see much difference with the spec on them and there's a bit of a price difference:
    550R - 60
    600R - 80

If no-one knows, I'll probably just go with the 550R and hope it delivers as well as 'Nigeyboys' 600R

stevic
    stevic  5132 forum posts England
    27 Aug 2009 - 8:08 PM

I'll give you a recommendation from an engineering point of view as my photographic knowledge is limited, shall we say. The Konig heavy duty tripod from Amazon is sturdy but heavy and it's only 46.

The ball head isn't much good though, however I managed to get a new Manfrotto 804RC2 head for about 45, this makes a very robust and easy to use set-up for under your 100 budget.

ChrisStyles
    2 Sep 2009 - 3:28 PM

I also have the Koning aluminium tripod & I must say it's a brilliant bit of kit as Stevic say it's a bit on the heavy side but if you want sturdy then it's worth a look...Read the reviews on Amazon..

Chris.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.