Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Recommendations for tripod

Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2009 2:44PM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help getting a new tripod, don't really know much about them.

I'm looking for a tripod for landscape and HDR work, so it has to be very steady, I'm not bothered about the weight, not looking for carbon fibre or anything like that - wouldn't be able to get that on my budget anyway.

As you can tell, this is a starter tripod, but I don't want to just buy any old cheap crap that I end up replacing in a year. So I'm hoping that some people will be able to recommend something that will suit my needs.

My ideal budget is under 100.

Thanks,

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2009 3:37PM
Take a look at the Velbon Sherpa Range. I use the 600R, and am very pleased with it. Got it from Amazon for about 60.00 last year. Legs are adjustable so you can spread them wide (oo-err!!), and the centre column can be taken out and inverted too.

Its solid, and while not the lightest tripod around, it will keep your camera steady for those HDR shots.
Graywolf 7 999 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2009 8:29PM
Manfrotto 190 is 86.99 but this is legs oly. You would need a head to go on it
Manfrotto 484 mini 36.16

Slightly over your budget but good quality kit.
Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2009 7:30PM
Thanks for the suggestions, been looking at the Velbon Sherpa range, they seem pretty nice for the price they are.

Does anyone know if there's any real difference in sturdyness between the 550R and the 600R?

I can't see much difference with the spec on them and there's a bit of a price difference:
550R - 60
600R - 80

If no-one knows, I'll probably just go with the 550R and hope it delivers as well as 'Nigeyboys' 600R
stevic 6 132 England
27 Aug 2009 8:08PM
I'll give you a recommendation from an engineering point of view as my photographic knowledge is limited, shall we say. The Konig heavy duty tripod from Amazon is sturdy but heavy and it's only 46.

The ball head isn't much good though, however I managed to get a new Manfrotto 804RC2 head for about 45, this makes a very robust and easy to use set-up for under your 100 budget.
2 Sep 2009 3:28PM
I also have the Koning aluminium tripod & I must say it's a brilliant bit of kit as Stevic say it's a bit on the heavy side but if you want sturdy then it's worth a look...Read the reviews on Amazon..

Chris.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.