Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Recommended file size for uploading

12 Dec 2012 11:27PM
Just a very quick one, as a lot of sites but data limits on their sites. What file size would you recommend as a minimum so as to make the images worthy of displaying

Thanks in advance

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.5k United Kingdom
13 Dec 2012 12:51AM
think they resized when uploaded
13 Dec 2012 6:07AM
Sorry I didn't make this overly clear. I blame the time Smile I have recently set up my own web site. So as such the only limiting factors are those applied by the host surrounding data allowance, rather than the limits applied by epz
GlennH 10 1.9k 1 France
13 Dec 2012 6:52AM
File sizes of JPEGs will vary wildly depending on the content of the picture. A photo with lots of fine detail, such as a landscape, will not compress to as small a size as a portrait, or any photo with large areas of single tone. You might expect a 600-800 pixel file to be something in the region of 100 - 200 KB, whereas if you wanted to produce real screen-fillers of over 1000 pixels the expected size would increase accordingly. Some folk keep file sizes and image dimensions deliberately modest to deter image theft.

Back in the day when we all had slow internet connections it was wise to keep JPEGs as compressed as possible, and I guess that still applies to some extent—you don't want anyone to have to wait for your photos to load (internet patience is pretty short-lived in most people).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.