Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recommended Film Processing Labs!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AdyB
AdyB  5
7 Sep 2009 - 5:13 PM

Great to see we still have some choices out there - and what's left seem to be the cream.

Digitilab did a fine job, negatives returned sleeved in strips of six in just two days - soundly packaged.

The APX 25 roll was bordering towards thin but I have to accept some responsibility for this given I had sat on this already out-of-date roll for three years after partly exposing it. And at ISO 25 it was never going to be forgiving of vague exposures in low and contrasy light.

The Fuji Neopan 400CN naturally faired much better - and scanned beautifully as always. My preffered choice for weddings.

Have noted the other suggestions - particularly Palm - which I may try out with a roll or two in coming weeks.

Ady

Last Modified By AdyB at 7 Sep 2009 - 5:15 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Sep 2009 - 5:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Smurfmuffin
8 Sep 2009 - 4:55 PM

If anyone in Gillingham, Dorset area the photography shop by the famous supermarket does a really good service. Friendly and helpful too. Someone else has recommended the shop in Shaftesbury too

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
8 Sep 2009 - 5:30 PM

Quote: Many of the labs we've tested over the years are still going, so our Processing Test here should be helpful.

Thanks, this is helpful I bought a film camera last week and was wondering about processing.

matt5791
matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2009 - 9:29 PM

Quote: I looked at Palm, but couldn't find any kind of price list...

Phone them is the best thing. They use "dip and dunk" processors which require nitrogen for agitation. Plus side of this is the film is suspended in the chemistry, and it is a very clean process, whereas virtually all other labs use roller transport processors. Down side is dip and dunk are more expensive to run due to the nitrogen for one thing - Palm have a tank that is refilled at least once a month. But for the best results, this is the best processor.

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
13 Sep 2009 - 10:40 AM

This might be a silly question but if I have film and want it proceed onto CD, will there be a difference in quality if I have it processed at eg Boots vs a store which specializes in photography?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2009 - 7:44 PM

Boots idea of a high quality scan is pretty small, 1840 x 1232 and a file size between 5/600kb or there about.

I have no idea how that would compare to a dedicated film lab.

Edit, just checked ilford and they scan up to 4500 x 3000.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 Sep 2009 - 7:50 PM
AdyB
AdyB  5
14 Sep 2009 - 3:45 PM

Boots scans are awful - both in terms of resolution and processing.

Every image is 'cleaned', sharpened then compressed to within an inch of its life. You have to pay pounds per frame if you want good scans, such as from the recommended services in these forums.

Ady

Last Modified By AdyB at 14 Sep 2009 - 3:47 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2009 - 8:04 PM

Quote: Every image is 'cleaned', sharpened then compressed to within an inch of its life

That`s total crap Smile

Even if a cd is not required the negs are scanned anyway, prints are not even made directly from the negative, there printed from a digital file.

AdyB
AdyB  5
15 Sep 2009 - 12:51 AM

It's not total crap! I tried them out a few years ago, comparing reprint results from their supplied JPGs and reprints from the original negative.

The prints were 9x6" and the difference was quite noticeable (to me anyway). I asked why this should be and was told the files I get on the disc are not the same as the digital files they used to print my negatives. The disc files are compressed - presumably to be sure they all go on one the CD!

I also found they employ a form of ICE software and sharpening as a matter of course as did another (independant) local lab that used a different processor. This is just standard mini-lab pratice. But this is done prior to printing to a specific size - at the end of the process when sharpening should be applied.

I know the difference between a scan with and without out 'icing' and that too much sharpening can make working an image later impossible without a artifacts. The Boots files I sampled did have too much sharpening as well as appearing interpolated.

I accept that a lab like this cannot configure scans to suit individual customers but it would nice to get at least the same quality 9x6" from a disc file as from a machine file.

Last Modified By AdyB at 15 Sep 2009 - 12:54 AM
matt5791
matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2009 - 9:23 PM

Quote: You have to pay pounds per frame if you want good scans, such as from the recommended services in these forums.

Ady

Palm Lab will offer two sorts of scans: Noritsu, which is the standard scan, but nevertheless is excellent quality. And then for the ultimate, Imacon scans.

The Noritsu comes in at about 3.50 a roll at time of processing (for low res - print to about 5x7) The Imacon scans are the ones that you will pay 's per neg.

Matt

scovell002
11 Jan 2010 - 8:27 PM

Imacon Scans available here from 3.50

http://www.ianscovell.com/isleofwight/filmscanningservice.html

Amanita05
Amanita05  4 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2010 - 7:58 PM

Peak-Imaging also. Very fast turnaround!
Used to go with Transpacolour but sometimes had to wait well over a week for E6 process & Mount. Also, some of the slides were improperly mounted as well.
Alan.

Snapper
Snapper  93690 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2010 - 8:36 PM

I haven't used them recently, but always had great service from The Darkroom.

landandlight
13 Jan 2010 - 8:54 AM

Another vote for Ian Scovell or blueskyimages are really good too

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
13 Jan 2010 - 1:15 PM

I have my own film scanner now, and the sample images I've run through it have been great - certainly better than 'high street' quality, and at least as good as the 'standard' quality from Peak Imaging.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.