Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Recording Actions - Problem Help needed

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 11:43AM
Hi All ,

I am having a problem with CS5 which i cannot work out , before editing a set of photos i record an action on one of the files sending it to a folder for the edits for the forthcoming files , thereafter using that action saves each file i edit into the file of edits as their own file names.

Yesterday while editing we had a power cut and lost everything so had to restart the edits I was on , now when i use the same procedure have been using for years it does not work , it simply keeps saving the file as the same file name over the top of the last one i saved hence the action is of no use , I havent changed anything and cannot for the life of me understand whats happened , any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
18 Sep 2012 12:55PM
That kinda thing does my head in too...

Are you using image processor or batch?

Try using the "other one" to what you normally use

On my old PC, Image Processor stopped working with action - no idea why - it just failed every time. I switched to Batch Processor and that worked.

Sh1t workaround, but it got the job done.

I've now got 32 and 64 bit CS5 installed, the 32 bit one's getting to be unreliable...so using 64 bit for just about everything for that reason.
18 Sep 2012 2:02PM
not sure how you mean , I am using the action once the file is converted from raw and in photoshop once finished tweaking normally just have a one key press action to save to the specified folder and close the image.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
18 Sep 2012 3:44PM
whoah.... slow down Wink

re-read what you typed and see if it makes sense.... I'm struggling to follow it.

Maybe describe what you're doing in steps

1 - I am using the action once the file is converted from raw
2 - in photoshop once finished tweaking normally
3 - just have a one key press action to save to the specified folder and close the image.

.... something like that

I got the impression you were running this action on every images in a folder via "batch" - be that batch processor OR image processor.
18 Sep 2012 10:21PM
Lol Ade sorry !

No the action is purely to save a file once i have done editing it in photoshop nothing to do with batch processing. I have managed to find a workaround but its meaning making a duplicate of the file which is forcing photoshop to save it with the amended -copy added to the file name which seems to work rather than it writing over the last file with the same file number , still have to try and work out whats going on so i can get back to the original way of doing it tho.

I guess the only way to explain it would be to screen grab it which i may do if i cant figure it out thanks for the help though Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
19 Sep 2012 9:55AM
tried re-recording it?

I've seen this kinda thing happen with Photoshop and even a reinstall didn't seem to do the trick - reinstalling windows did though

I used to get Java errors when running batches - make me more angry than you would ever imagine, you shouldn't have to be debugging Java when resizing photos!
19 Sep 2012 10:03AM
Yeah i have a feeling its a windows things as no other actions are affected and I have tried re-recording umpteen times , will give it another go once got the photos done as on time limit at mo !
Bridgelayer 7 568 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 2:40PM
I've just found this thread, sorry, been v. busy.
When you created the action and selected "Save As", it sounds like this is being repeated for every file and saving each as the original "Save As" file. That's possibly the reason.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.