Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recovering files from a formatted card

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jennialexander
    jennialexander e2 Member 945 forum postsjennialexander vcard United Kingdom
    23 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

Is it at all possible? I have lost a lot of photos taken in RAW and cannot explain what has happened. I saved them to disc and external hard drive but now I have reset my computer and they have gone!!!! Obviously my fault. Is there anyway the formatted card can be recovered at all?
    Jenni

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Yes, it is still possible.
    Do you have recovery software?
    If you use Sandisk Extreme (or maybe Ultra and others), you should have the rescue pro software.
    Try it.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

OK the simple answer is YES....!

However this is dependant on several factors.....

First.....Since you took your RAW files....Apart from a format.....Has the card been used to take further images....?

Whilst image data recovery software can recover images from a formatted card......It Can't recover images that where written over with other images.........( Hope I explained that clearly )...!

Lets say for example you have a 1Gb card, And 50% of that card contains the RAW files you want to recover.

If the card has been formatted ONLY, Then you stand a 99% chance of recovering the individual images....Smile

However if the same card has had further images written to it, AFTER the ones you with to recover ( irrespective of formatting ), Then these will be the Only files that can be recovered.

What puzzles me is why you can't access your saved images, From the external drive......Just re-setting ( I'm not sure what you mean by this ) your computer, Should have had No effect on the contents of the External drive.......It just can't happen....! Without explicite input from you...

Having said that, Image DATA recovery software is capable of recovering files from Hard drives as well as Memory cards....Smile

So this may also be of help to you.....!

Bare in mind that Data recovery takes a very long time, The bigger the memory card OR Hard drive....The longer it takes, But it is an option, And works very well......Smile

Click here for Image data recovery software.....

Good Luck...Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 23 May 2008 - 11:50 AM
    jennialexander
    23 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Guys. Very helpful but am not sure I can do it.
    Firstly I reset my computer to factory condition as it was going so slow. I made sure (or thought I did) that all my files were transferred to the hard drive and had also saved them onto a DVD. In fact I have been printing images from the external hard drive that I am now trying to recover!!! Doesn't make sense.
    The files I had transferred to the DVD using Nero were I thought when I checked all on the disc as I have written on it what was allegedly on there.
    Secondly I have probably used the formatted cards. So all is lost there. Serves me right. You just have to make double sure. Be paranoid about loosing your images. I thought I was.
    Thanks again. Next step I guess would get the forensics people to check it for me. they can surely recover everything!!!!
    Jenni

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

Quote: Secondly I have probably used the formatted cards. So all is lost there. Serves me right. You just have to make double sure. Be paranoid about loosing your images. I thought I was.

Might not be the case.
    Try to recover it and see.
    I have recovered photos that I took long time ago and the card been used before.
    So, try it, nothing to lose.

jennialexander
    23 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

I am thankyou.

Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'you have lost them' Unless you have formatted a drive or overwritten the files they should be there. Of course if you have changed something on your computer you may have done something as simple as not have the same drive letter allocated to the external hard drive.

If you are using windows open windows explorer and navigate to my computer then to each disk in turn e.g.

C: your internal drive

then D: possibly your dvd drive (put the dvd in first)

then E: possibly your external drive

then whilst selecting the drive right click and select search, in "all or part of the filename" box enter *.CR2 ((i.e asterisk - dot- RAW file suffix)) the suffix should be whatever your RAW files are it would be different for Nikon).

Explorer will then search that drive for all those files with that suffix on that disk. This will at least establish if they are on the disk and you just can't find them because of some change you made.

Last Modified By Henchard at 23 May 2008 - 12:54 PM
    dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108365 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

Easeus file recovery is a good program to try and it's free.

jennialexander
    24 May 2008 - 9:14 PM

Thankyou to all of you who posted such helpful comments.
    After trying a lot of data recovery software, Freeware and others yesterday afternoon I purchased 'Don't Panic-Photo Edition from pic stop. It arrived by post today and this evening I have recovered 300 odd images that I had lost. this card had been formatted 3 times!!!!
    Not sure if I should be recommending this product on this site (sorry if it is the wrong thing to do )but feel it deserves a mention for all of those poor unfortunates like me who think the world has come to an end.
    The important thing for me is that they are recovered in RAW (Nikon file)
    Thanks once again for taking the time to post.
    Jenni Alexander

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.