Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Recovering from an eye operation.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ckristoff
    ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
    14 Mar 2011 - 5:15 PM

Hello Friends,

Forgive me for any typing errors, I'm writing this while wearing shades!

Last Thursday morning, I was in Carmarthen hospital, undergoing a procedure to remove some calcium deposits from my cornea. I elected to have my left eye to be operated on first, as both eyes need treatment.

After a couple of days discomfort, I'm now pain free. Just a bit disturbed with blurred vision in my left eye, which should clear by end of this week.

At work, I'm about 80% through programning all the barcodes of inventory of groceries at my brothers shop, which I do voluntarily. By putting shades over my reading glasses, I can just about manage a couple hours on my pc!

Which of course means, photography is taking a back seat, as I probably can't do anything, as the daylight is too bright at present. I continue to visit EPZ of course.

Has any other member had any treatment for their eyes? How long did it take before you picked up a camera?

Frank.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Mar 2011 - 5:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2011 - 6:46 PM

Not been through it myself but can I wish you a speedy recovery.

regards john

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2011 - 7:16 PM

Take it easy Chris and don`t over do it.

Diagnosed myself with Thyroid Eye Disease last summer, following about nine months of debilitating and disfiguring eye problems. The left eyes been displaced so there`s some double vision and both eyes need constant medication, fun times Smile

I`v barely used a camera since last summer Sad

Get well soon Chris and rest those eyes.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3772 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2011 - 8:43 PM

I have a developing cataract in my left eye which is now beginning to distort print and see everything much darker as though I am looking through weak sunglasses with the affected eye:

I can't see anyone abut it until April..............my left eye was my focussing eye too:

I do realise that cataract surgery is quire straightforward and usually very successful......I'm still not looking forward to it though:

hobbo

ckristoff
    14 Mar 2011 - 11:30 PM

Friends,

I thank you all so much for your kind replies - I really do appreciate it.

Paul, I've never heard of Thyroid Eye Disease before. Isn't there any treatment for it? I'm sure it's messed up your photographic life; how are you with everything else? Can you read or watch TV? I am resting my eyes. My idiot brother tried to get me into work this morning!

Hobbo, I wish you well, my friend. Cataract surgery is more invasive than what I had. I'm assuming your recovery time will be longer. I recovered from the pain, after 3 days.

Frank.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2011 - 11:53 PM

Quote: Isn't there any treatment for it?

Eye drops, that`s about it Sad

Read, watch tv, computer all in moderation, some days are better than others, the double vision is the biggest problem.

Grampy
    Grampy  4507 forum posts England71 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2011 - 9:58 AM

My other hobby is restoring old cars and one day when drilling out a broken stud (without safty glasses, yes I know!) the drill bit shattered and a large piece 3mm went into the pupil of my left eye. I was rushed straight to the hospital and was operated to save the eye as it was leaking badly, the surgeon told me the sight was almost certainly lost, after 4 hours in surgery i had 12 tiny stiches across the centre of my eye, they were in for 8 weeks as the eye repairs slowly but at the end of it all my sight was back and in my view is better than before, due to a fantastic surgeon.
    I was back working in my studio after 10 weeks, as you can imagine a great relief to me , although I'll never forget the feeling of those stiches , it was like having sand in your eyes for 8 weeks solid, the other thing I won't forget is to wear safty glasses for everything the slightest bit dangerous. All that was 15 years ago and at my last eye test the scar is not visible.
    Phill

loweskid
    loweskid  122042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2011 - 10:40 AM

Quote: I do realise that cataract surgery is quire straightforward and usually very successful......I'm still not looking forward to it though:

Don't worry, my sister-in-law has had both eyes done in the last few months and she says it's a piece of cake. She was naturally a bit nervous the first time but after that she couldn't wait to have the second done (they will only do one at a time). Transformed her life, she says.

Quote: Cataract surgery is more invasive than what I had. I'm assuming your recovery time will be longer.

Not really any recovery time to speak of and no pain - she was using the eye straight away. She had to put drops in for a few weeks afterwards but that was all.

ckristoff
    15 Mar 2011 - 4:24 PM

Grampy,

you're a lucky guy. Look after yourself friend. Sometimes health & safety is common sense.

Paul, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm assuming you're unable to use a camera to your high standards.

Frank.

Paul Morgan
    15 Mar 2011 - 6:43 PM

Quote: Paul, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm assuming you're unable to use a camera to your high standards

Both eyes have been effected, but the left eye has been left displaced, A symmetry been messed up so double vision Sad

I`ve always used my right eye for focusing so that is not a huge problem, its getting motivated that is Smile

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2011 - 7:08 PM

In Nov. my wife was infected with MRSA, a superbug, and was fortunate to survive as it settled in her heart chamber. However, the bacteria detached the retina on her left eye, and damaged it. She's had 2 surgeries to replace the retina; the first one failed, and we should know more in a week after a visit to the doctor. The surgery was done 6 weeks ago, and we put drops in her eye 4 times a day. One of the meds freezes the focusing, so she can't see with that eye yet. She's thankful to be alive. Surprisingly, she's had no pain.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 15 Mar 2011 - 7:09 PM
    Paul Morgan
    15 Mar 2011 - 7:12 PM

Sorry to here about your wife, on sites like this we take the eyes for granted, not really realising the effect on life in general when things go wrong Sad

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2011 - 7:17 PM

It's certainly a life changing experience Paul, for us both. She was out for a walk for the first time since last November 2 days ago; it made a world of difference to her outlook. Boredom is the biggest problem for her; she's never been sick in her life.

Hope you all get well soon.

ckristoff
    17 Mar 2011 - 3:44 PM

Straycat,

your post is very sobering. I'm so glad that your wife is getting better.

As Paul said, we do take our eyes for granted, yes we do. How blind people manage I just cannot imagine.

Our ears are also important. I wouldn't like to go deaf, as I like my music so much.

Frank.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.