Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

red bubble users..?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hornchurch
    17 Dec 2011 - 10:55 AM

Hi just a quick question I joined red bubble a short time ago and I just have a question about the commision I uploaded one photo the default is 20% so I left it at this but just increased postcards to 30% my 2 questions are if I increase my percentage does it put the cost of prints for users up... and in geeneral what percentage are people on here asking... any help would be apreciated thanks David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Dec 2011 - 10:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2011 - 1:49 PM

First answer - yes it does, and I think the average according to redbubble is 30%.

gingerdelight
    17 Dec 2011 - 6:52 PM

I ask for 30% for a greetings card/postcard, 40% on everything else except for framed prints and then I ask for 50%. Well, one can but try!!! Wink
    So far I have sold a postcard and a greetings card! Back to the drawing-board!!! The moral of this is, don't expect to get rich!!
    Carol

User_Removed
    17 Dec 2011 - 7:21 PM

Simply reflects what one of the photomags reported earlier this year.... that over 90% of the photographers that submit images to those libraries never sell even a single picture.

hornchurch
    17 Dec 2011 - 10:27 PM

Hi thanks for all the replies David

Last Modified By hornchurch at 17 Dec 2011 - 10:28 PM
    bigalguitarpicker
    19 Dec 2011 - 12:21 AM

I'd like to sell a T-shirt. Just one. Honest! Etsy is another graveyard of false hopes Sad

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2011 - 9:33 AM

I'm waiting for 2 tee shirts to arrive - one for me, one for my brother's xmas present

they've got my funny cow photos on...

and you can go buy them at my ademcfade account right now for about 20 Wink

I put a 200% markup on prints... sold one of an aston martin on there, that's it... made about 7

hardly a get rich quick scheme Wink

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2011 - 9:39 AM

sold nothing as yet... still is early days with RB.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2011 - 9:52 AM

Photobox is easier to upload stuff to - FTP 500 shots at once and all that.

though red bubble is very nice Smile

DLLP
    DLLP  527 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Dec 2011 - 10:26 AM

The problem with Photobox is that any updates are glacially slow, and bugs take ages to fix. e.g There have been problems with the slideshows for ages.
    I've actually done quite well on Redbubble. Calendars have done quite well this year, despite their ridiculous postage charges.
    It's easy to get disheartened if you don't sell something immediately, you've just got to stick at it. It's worth having your stuff on several sites too.

Last Modified By DLLP at 19 Dec 2011 - 10:27 AM
    ade_mcfade
    19 Dec 2011 - 10:28 AM

The FTP and folder creation on Photobox is appallingly bad

If you create a gallery folder on the website, then open the FTP site, it doesn't appear for ages - sometimes its days...

I get round this be creating lots of empty folders on the website, then filling them at a later date via FTP

It wins over red-bubble when you've shot an event/wedding and want to put 500 shots up for people to buy

DLLP
    DLLP  527 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Dec 2011 - 11:01 AM

All of these sites have their pros and cons. I was dealing with one of Redbubble's cons just yesterday. You can't set your markups globally, so you have to go through every image individually and set the markup for each product (prints, framed prints, greetings cards etc)
    I'd been putting off doing any changes for ages, and despite the fact I only have about 110 images on there it must have taken a good hour. Very tedious.

One of Photobox's cons for me (apart from the various technical and usability issues), is that you can't sell the full range of Photobox products through your store. (The most notable being greetings cards).

Billlee
    Billlee  85531 forum posts England
    20 Dec 2011 - 7:45 PM

Been on RB for some time, sold a few postcards, but the total sales do not reach their minimum.... so no cheque as yet..... maybe in another two years??? Not giving up the day job!
    BTW is there a psychological value in increasing the % ? Giving the potential buyer the thought that your work must be better than average?
    I know delivery times can be quite long, but they are based in Australia!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.