Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Red Nose Day

scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
16 Mar 2013 12:02AM
Your thoughts and feelings please....so I can see if I'm alone in my thoughts and feelings...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
16 Mar 2013 6:01AM
Sick to death of it. Unfunny, infantile and an excuse to dust off Lenny Henry, the world's least funny comedian .. Need I say more.

I also wonder why we need people to give up all self respect and jump through hoops like trained monkeys to earn our charity, unless your agent says your profile will benefit from it (see the career profile and bank balance of Sir Bob).

If I want to give to charity I don't need John Barrowman to sing Nessun Dorma whilst naked in a bathtub of beans to 'earn' my charitable giving or let a host of celebrities cynically enhance their dwindling careers with screen time in the so-called name of charity. Surely the thought of those suffering should be more of an encouragement than a desperately unfunny stunt.

I don't participate and avoid any of it completely ... Call me Mr Miserable - that's ok by me.

I don't understand why we find this type of programming unfunny 364 days of the year then feel many hours rolled into one becomes compulsive viewing one day a year and will encourage us to empty our wallets as a result.

Other than that I have no opinion on it ;0)
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 6:50AM
I'd like to be able to say it had had it's day but with the amount of money they raised last night I guess it hasn't.

However, I always avoid watching it. In the early days I think it was okay but maybe the format is tired now. I work in a college and normally on the RND you can't move without having a student sticking a bucket under your noise. Yesterday there was a noticeable absence of RND activity. Maybe the next generation are not interested in the format either.
llareggub 4 756 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 7:17AM
I think it is perfectly named, it is a definite relief from anything remotely resembling comedy!
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
16 Mar 2013 7:55AM

Quote:Sick to death of it. Unfunny, infantile and an excuse to dust off Lenny Henry, the world's least funny comedian .. Need I say more......
I don't participate and avoid any of it completely ... Call me Mr Miserable - that's ok by me.

My thoughts entirely.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 8:07AM
Just give some money!!!! A fiver will change lives and save a child. I cannot believe what you lot are saying! The humour is there for entertainment but only to raise awareness of the plight of people so far off the radar of just about anyone on here. You don't have to make decisions like the parents have to make on last nights programme so stop moaning and think yourselves very, very fortunate. If you think it was just about comedy then you completely missed the point of the real issue. If you didn't bother to watch it then again you cannot even begin to make these statements. What did you last do to help save a child's life?
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 8:09AM
So some of the comedy might not be cutting edge, but the fact they raised 75 million pounds is fantastic. I guess the comments above are from people that are comfortable at home, and perhaps like to bury their heads in the sand when people decide to do something to help those MUCH less fortunate from themselves.

The gulf between those that 'have' and those that 'have not' is incredible. We donated 20 on the night, and if that goes to help some poor kid in Africa from dying from something as easily preventable as Tetanus than I am happy with that - you keep your money in your pockets, and save it for a rainy day . . . . . . and I hope that you never have to rely on the charity of strangers at any time in your life.
16 Mar 2013 8:14AM
The problem is too many people want something in return for their donation.

If you want a great night of comedy, buy a ticket to a comedy club. If you want to donate, do so, and watch something else if you wish
16 Mar 2013 8:18AM

Quote:Just give some money!!!! A fiver will change lives and save a child. I cannot believe what you lot are saying! The humour is there for entertainment but only to raise awareness of the plight of people so far off the radar of just about anyone on here. You don't have to make decisions like the parents have to make on last nights programme so stop moaning and think yourselves very, very fortunate. If you think it was just about comedy then you completely missed the point of the real issue. If you didn't bother to watch it then again you cannot even begin to make these statements. What did you last do to help save a child's life?

Very judgmental! If you believe you are making a difference by donating a fiver to comic relief then good for you, however the majority of people who make a donation, see it as a pseudo day of jollity in the work place donate a few quid and then return to their life of bemoaning Governments, Banks and even Starbucks for the woes in their lives, when in reality wouldn't know true hardship if it strolled up to them and shook their hand.
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 8:54AM

Quote:see it as a pseudo day of jollity in the work place donate a few quid

And whats wrong with that? If it means they put their hands in their pockets then great stuff - seemed to work yesterday!
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
16 Mar 2013 8:57AM
The last few posts (excepting the last two or three) got very judgemental - in which part of my post in particular did I say charity was or wasn't important, worthy, etc or that I myself don't contribute to charity.
I actually do volunteer work to two registered charities ... I am also fully aware of the charitable issues without having watched them last night as I have been served up a stream of video and still images of needy third world( and closer) suffering people for as long as I can remember with the same suitable musical background in order to emotionally engage me.
What i don't need is a bunch of third rate desperate, publicity starved celebs or ordinary members of the public forcing hackneyed old, whacky, infantile, community centre entertainment for many hours (with a many week run up) till I feel they have done enough to deserve an 'annual' donation to assuage my guilt at not having to suffer as much and allow me to carry on for the other 364 days of the year wasting my money on frivolous things whilst others die.
I may be cynical and dislike RND but it is not through lack of charity but through a dislike of seeing people I wouldn't normally watch under ANY circumstance (Lenny Henry), doing things I wouldn't normally watch (third rate so-called homour), for a ridiculous length of time (approx 8 hrs), in such a forced and manufactured way.

So unless asked by someone for my opinion (like here), I keep quiet, turn the TV off or over and pretend it isn't happening ... :0)
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
16 Mar 2013 9:11AM
I completely ignore it - put the box last night on for one hour to watch The Mentalist and then switched off.

However I donate to the Red Cross via direct debit every month, am a great fan of charity shops for both buying and donating and put odd bits of loose change in the various collecting boxes at till points in the shops.

It's great that people want to watch RND and donate but I'd rather be trying to take a decent water drop photo Smile
16 Mar 2013 9:12AM

Quote:see it as a pseudo day of jollity in the work place donate a few quid

And whats wrong with that? If it means they put their hands in their pockets then great stuff - seemed to work yesterday!

The fact that the same issues will exist this time next week, next year and next decade means that it does not work in anyway shape or form, other than of course to make some people feel warm and fuzzy about themselves!
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 9:39AM
Its to generate money for people in need and if you want to watch it, do. But, if you find its not your cup of tea, don't watch it, but do donate for all the hard work these people do for free for the benifit of others.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 9:42AM
Its all big business these days where collection takes all forms with all too familiar bags pushed through the letter box asking for clothing on a regular basis.
I would be more concerned where all those millions eventually end up keeping in mind one presenter who was reported as claiming 2000 for hotel expenses some time ago.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.