Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Refurbished 7Ds

10 May 2012 7:03PM
Hi all

I'm looking to buy a used 7D and have seen some refurbished models for around 850,,,has anyone any experience of buying one (or any other model) this way?

They apparently come with a months suppliers warranty and a Canon 12 months warranty but i'm worried about the shutter count in particular. When i contacted a supplier they told me they didn't know what the number of actuations were as the cameras were held in a different building.....

Any advice appreciated

Cheers, Martin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
10 May 2012 8:03PM
Any refurbished cameras I've had any experience with have been factory demos which in many cases haven't even been out of the box. Usually come with a full warranty.
10 May 2012 11:27PM
i have a refurb.....no probs what so ever. been totally reliable. what is the hang up about actuations....... i don't think even the most ardent pro can bugger one of these up. if you are an amateur - don't worry
11 May 2012 9:24AM
Thanks for the comments, I'll go for a refurbished model them Smile

BobbieBoy, I'm not an amateur so wouldn't like to discover i would need a new shutter within a year, besides, would you buy a car without wanting to know the mileage?? Fair point from yourself though, some of us do worry LOL

Now i'll do another post to determine a decent lens for it, don't fancy using my Nikon lenses on it hahahahaha!!

Cheers again

Martin
AndyLeslie 5 141 8 Wales
31 May 2012 10:10AM
There's no reasonable excuse for them to not give the numbers of shutter actuations.

I also doubt that the 1 month suppliers warranty conforms to UK law. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods. The act says goods must last a reasonable time and that the retailer is responsible for this, not the manufacturer. Which? and MoneySavingsExpert are good information resources for this.

Personally I'd look to see what the price differential between a refurb and new on is. If the difference is 10% or less, I'd buy new. But that's just me.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
31 May 2012 10:16AM
Go armed with a laptop with this software installed EOSinfo any good supplier should let you do it, using this software will tell just how many actuations the camera has.....

Ade
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
31 May 2012 11:00AM

Quote:There's no reasonable excuse for them to not give the numbers of shutter actuations.

It is not easy to find this out on anything below the 5D/1 series cameras.

Quote:I also doubt that the 1 month suppliers warranty conforms to UK law. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods.

As far as I'm aware this applies only to new gear. How can the shop offer you a warranty on a product with unknown history? In fact I am not even sure warranties are (strictly) transferrable between when selling something second hand so anything they give you is a bonus. If you are concerned they should supply you with the terms of their warranty. The fact you have a 12-month manufacturer's warranty would lead me to ask if this is a refurbished item.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
31 May 2012 11:30AM
How many people have actually experienced a shutter problem?
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
31 May 2012 12:08PM
I have.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
31 May 2012 12:31PM
As an amateur, i might shoot 500 shots in a weekend, occasionally 1000, but sometimes none.
Perhaps 2/3000 on a weeks holiday.
So if my 60D is good for 100K operations that's about 4 years of use if i use it almost every weekend.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
31 May 2012 12:41PM

Quote:How many people have actually experienced a shutter problem?

It does happen Keith, I had a 10D go down on me years ago, but in my defence I am pretty prolific, but I have the time unlike most.

One of my 3 year old 50D's is now well past 150,000 actuations as I mentioned in a different thread earlier, but this is the camera I use for all my image stacking. So I think nothing of shooting over 100 captures just in order to get one resulting image.
But if anything it's showing just how durable the Canon is. I know by some folks reckoning it might be on borrowed time now, but it still seems to be as good as the day I bought it?????

Make of it what you will.....

Ade
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
31 May 2012 12:41PM
100,000 shots, if you still used film would cost the best part of 30,000: cost of film + d&p. Way beyond the original cost of the camera!

Has digital turned some people into 'machine gunners'.............. 100 or 500 shots in the hope of getting one or two decent ones? Wink
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
31 May 2012 12:57PM

Quote:Has digital turned some people into 'machine gunners'

Yes because you don't have to worry about the cost of developing etc.....

BUT!!!......Like most camera's these days, you can just put it into fully automatic and not have to think about the image your taking.......You can see these images in the galleries everyday.

The better togs and the one who have a higher consistency of quality images and don't need to put the camera into fully auto or machine gun mode because they actually think about the image they are trying to get in the first place.....
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
31 May 2012 1:17PM
Taking 500 shots also wastes loads of time sorting them out afterwards. Smile
Someone's mentioned hit rates before, some photographers know their kit so well and can control their scene/subject so well that you only need a few shots for the required images. I wish that were me.

I sold my film camera years ago as i could not afford the processing, as an amateur it was one shot per subject and 2 if it was potentially going to be an amazing image.
I now love digital as i can choose from a series of expressions and fluttering hair/ scalfs in the wind etc. then get the subject to pose in another way and shoot another set, etc etc.
I think its part of improving as you now look longer at the scene for spoilers (hair/expressions/hands etc) before you press the shutter - 2 bad photo's never make 1 good one Wink
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
31 May 2012 1:20PM
Not forgetting that with wildlife, 'machine gunning' a bird in flight could mean the difference between the wing covering the face and an award-winnng position/expression.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.