Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remember when.........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
MrGoatsmilk
29 Jun 2011 - 11:26 AM

Anyone else remember...

The knife sharpener that used to turn up on a pedal cycle with a sharpening stone that was propelled by the rear wheel. The local kids myself included were allowed to take knives, shears etc to have sharpened, imagine that nowadays.

or

The Line prop man who shouted "Get yer line props!" and carried loads of the props to sell door to door.

I have found photo's on the net of knife sharpeners with a similar bike but not UK ones, can't find anything for the line prop seller.

It was late 70's early 80's I remember these.

What are your memories from being a child?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jun 2011 - 11:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122251 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 11:35 AM

Milk being delivered to the door by horse and cart and when I was a bit older, wine in jugs to the door. This was in Buenos Aires in the 50s and 60s.

gingerdelight
29 Jun 2011 - 11:38 AM

The ice cream man coming round the streets on a bicycle with a large box on the front containing the ice cream! And the rag and bone man giving away goldfish!

danbrann
danbrann e2 Member 10473 forum postsdanbrann vcard 15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 11:39 AM

a coincidence that this has cropped up today as I have just uploaded a Pic of Carbolic soap...Do you remember Monday morning wash days.

mikehit
mikehit  56344 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 11:42 AM

This goes back before the 1970s but it mentions the clothes prop man and a few other things now long gone.

http://www.pandanusbooks.com.au/excerpts/PB42B.pdf

franken
franken e2 Member 113108 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 12:09 PM

I remember the rag and bone man giving away goldfish, and the knife sharpener.

As I was born about 5 years after the war(the second oneSmile) I can remember being given round milk tablets that you sucked like sweets! This was in school.

Free milk/orange juice in school!

Early TV's with the round Ariel on the top!

Ken

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 12:20 PM

" Old Iron " .......That ghostly cry that sounded nothing like the words in some parts......Smile

Not entirely disappeared either....Grin We have an aspiring junior version complete with " Orse & Cart " who is a direct decendant of these early scrap merchants....!!!

Makes plenty of pocket money too.....Wink

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9170 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 12:34 PM

I remember the knife sharpener man, the sasperalla man, the shellfish man (winkles, cockles & whelks), the block salt man and the rag-and-bone man. Plus of course the chimney sweep.

Born in the East End of London in 1946. A bit of a different place now, like most places I guess.

Roy

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93496 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
29 Jun 2011 - 12:36 PM

Living in Hull and biking to the East coast where even 60+ years ago the land was sliding into the sea and diging out lead piping from the cliff face because someone told me it was worth money, struggling home on my boneshaker with a load of lead, then not knowing what to do with it.

Going door to door, collecting old newspapers one month and empty jam jars the next.

Cutting sweet coupons from the ration books and flogging them at school.....the list goes on.

.....Mike

monstersnowman
29 Jun 2011 - 1:04 PM

The ice cream van that had that funny 2-stroke engine smell that I presume perhaps ran the refrigeration .. and they served rectangular yellow ice cream that were slipped into rectangular cones .. and the pop van .. round my way it was Corona with the dimpling around the top of the bottle neck :o)

And one for my home town and maybe a few others ... The Bolton (insert other name if necessary) Holidays ... were loads of shops (always newsagents) closed down for 2 weeks and you had to by your daily paper from a bus shelter or train station etc .. and because so many people were off work at the same time you always seemed to meet so many people on holiday at Blackpool or Southport from your own town ..

Paedophiles didnt exist in the 70's .. in fact if there was rumours of a male flashing in the woods we good gather together a gang of kids to go and find him ...

Or the obligatory dirty mag that was stashed in a neighbourhood location (usually in the woods or park) that the kids knew about and could pop for a look at :o)

Ahh those were the days.

keith selmes
29 Jun 2011 - 1:47 PM

The dustbin men, with their horse drawn cart, and the horses with nosebags on.
Dustbins really had dust in them. Ashes from fires and so on.
Apart from that, people didn't throw much away

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 2:52 PM

Running to the corner shop to buy fags for your mum or dad, if the shop was closed there was a machine near by that dispensed them, usually on or near a street corner.

Hippies and bikers, real ones, stinking of beer, piss, leather and patchouli oil, I lived a few minutes walk from Reading festival.

Hot summer holiday`s they seemed to go on for ever, we never got bored and always found something to do, and we never had computers or video games consuls.

Mangles in the back yard, to get your fingers caught in.

Saturday morning Job helping the milkman if you could get up earlier enough, would`nt be allowed now with all this health and safety.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93496 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
29 Jun 2011 - 3:18 PM

....exactly 60 years ago, during the 2 month summer holidays, I got a job, working in a local butchers...48 hours a week £1. 5 shillings a week....that's right £1.25p a week.

......less than 3p an hour.....and I was glad to do it Smile

Mike

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 3:26 PM

I started at the Co-oP grocery store in Watford (Herts) at 16shillings a week!!!! 60 years ago.

70 pence a week, That was 5 and a half days,early closing on Wednesdays......anyone beat that?

Last Modified By f8 at 29 Jun 2011 - 3:30 PM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022920 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 3:34 PM

God I feel so young

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.