Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remember when.........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 7:12 PM

A time when you could take pictures of your own kids in a public place and no one called the police.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jun 2011 - 7:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 7:19 PM

Oddly, the memories I have of the early days, when we spent vacations at my Father's home town, which we had to travel to by train, was the total darkness on a moonless night, and the total silence as we lay in bed. Our kids will probably never experience that. There was no electricity back then in my Father's hometown, and when the lamps were blown out at night, that was it till morning. One night, my elder brother and I had to go stay at my Father's parent's house because where we normally stayed had extra company. My Father's brother, and his rather large family lived there, and as soon as it got dark, everyone was off to bed. We were assigned a daybed between us in the large kitchen. As we lay there, I started hearing little scratching sounds, scurrying sounds. I whispered to my brother; "What's that?" He whispered back; "Oh, that's mice and rats in the walls, go to sleep." I replied; "Rats?" "Yes!" He said, "now go to sleep." I can't I said. I'm not staying here with rats. My brother tried to calm me, but I was adamant, I was leaving. Finally he agreed to go, and we left to walk back to our Uncle's house where our parents were. It was about a 10 min walk, but it was totally dark, it was like being blind. We kind of felt our way up this little narrow gravel road, which wasn't much more than a path. About halfway there, we heard the ponding of many horse's hooves, coming down the road; we still couldn't see anything. We just stood there, and the horses went running past on both sides of us, so close we could feel the heat of there bodies, Then they were gone and we continued on our way. I would never live the fact down that I was afraid of the rats, and I'll never forget that night. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, and a real wuss.Tongue

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 7:35 PM

Playing in the bomb-sites in London (trying to set off live rounds we sometimes found by placing them between two bricks, with your foot on the top one, then trying to use a nail and another brick to fire it, maybe just as well we never succeeded! Tongue )

Falling into a snow drift in Yorkshire in the Winter of '47 when bringing home the bread ration (two loaves for the week). My mother dug me out then rushed home with the two loaves to put them in the oven to dry them out (leaving me behind!)

Getting my bicycle wheels stuck in the tram tracks around Aldgate and desperately trying to get them out before the tram hit me

Haymaking at the farm next to my Grandmother's house down in Kent and being allowed to drive the tractor and hay trailer even though I was only 12

Watching Brabazon trying to struggle into the air as it left London Airport

and so on and so on.

Its a sign of old age when you can remember all this but forget why you just went upstairs! Grin

AlanPerkins
29 Jun 2011 - 7:36 PM

Going round to the back of the chippy and taking a couple of empty lemonade bottles from the crate - then go in into the chippy and get 3d each on the bottles.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 8:10 PM

Buying fireworks, mostly bangers that we would let of in peoples empty milk bottles.

Tying tin cans to cats tails, then trying to hit the can with pellets from air rifles as the cat legged it.

Removing the lead balance weights from parked car wheels to use as ledger weights, our little penknife`s came in handy.

We were sometimes quite naughty but softies compared to a lot of kids today Smile

Billlee
Billlee  85531 forum posts England
29 Jun 2011 - 8:43 PM

I remember Izal Toilet rolls. Each sheet had "Impregnated with Izal Germicide" printed on it .... I always used the other side of the paper because I didn't want to use the Germy Side Wink

User_Removed
29 Jun 2011 - 8:49 PM

LOL!!!! Yes!!!!

dianah
dianah  724471 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 8:54 PM

I worked in the college holidays at Minehead Butlins for 1/6p an hour. It was slave labour and I wanted to leave after the first week but hadn't earned enough money for the train fare home.!!!

I served dinners to the Butlin's staff and was threatened with a knife by someone from the fairground because there were no second helpings!!

On my last day I was thrown into the vat of cold porridge Grin.

I have to say I learned alot about life at Butlins..it was a real eye opener in more ways than one ! GrinGrinGrin

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
29 Jun 2011 - 9:07 PM

What about buses you could run after and jump on? And off!

Then there were the sweets - jubblies, pineapple chunks (can still hear the savage sucking noise when you had a few jammed in at once), acid drops, penny arrows, fruit salad chews (two for a ha'penny) ......happy days.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
29 Jun 2011 - 9:17 PM

Provocative and moving TV progs like -

World in Action and Man Alive

dianah
dianah  724471 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 9:22 PM

Quote: What about buses you could run after and jump on? And off!

Then there were the sweets - jubblies, pineapple chunks (can still hear the savage sucking noise when you had a few jammed in at once), acid drops, penny arrows, fruit salad chews (two for a ha'penny) ......happy days.

Also Black Jacks a farthing each and wonderful ice lollies for 3p. Lucky Bags with a collection of sweets for 3p with a toy surprise !

User_Removed
29 Jun 2011 - 9:42 PM

And 'Sherbet Dips' - and HUGE 'wagon Wheels for 3d!!

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
29 Jun 2011 - 9:43 PM

Quote: Also Black Jacks a farthing each and wonderful ice lollies for 3p. Lucky Bags with a collection of sweets for 3p with a toy surprise !

Indeed......also sherbert fountains and kali (pronounced kay-lie). Kali would be dispensed by spoon from a large screw-top jar into a cone shaped bag. Once outside the shop, your first course of action was to stick a free index finger in your mouth before plunging it into the kali. Your finger emerged from the bag coated in a light pink substance, the taste of which was something akin to heaven.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 9:43 PM

Quote: ice lollies for 3p

You just reminded when there were 12d to a shilling and 240d to a pound. My first holiday job (cutting lettuce on a market garden paid 1s6d+3/16d per hour Tongue )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 29 Jun 2011 - 9:46 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014048 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2011 - 9:53 PM

...music came on CDs.
...people used phone books to find a phone number
...there were "book shops" full of books made of paper (can you imagine the fire hazard)
...you knew peoples phone numbers

Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.