Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remember when.........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
polis_928tadw59

What a lovely automobile. And I mean that. But this will bring tears to all of our eyes - Remember When ..... we were all young ?Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 May 2012 - 8:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 8:30 PM

Quote: But this will bring tears to all of our eyes - Remember When ..... we were all young ?

Doesn't bring tears to my eyes........ it wasn't that great! Wink Tongue

polis_928tadw59

Yes, you are right. I remember men, who were not miners, going to the local pit heaps scavenging for coal. Pedal cycle with 2 sacks balanced just above the pedals and the on the crossbar. The cleverer ones managed 3 sacks balanced on the bike. For some reason they were chased off the heaps, in effect they were "stealing". At the local pits there was the term - 'the pit Polis.' - it was olden day security actually, a retired Policeman employed by the NCB. Dad brought me a beautiful sledge made at the pit, - wood with metal runners. It went better than a bobsleigh down the heaps in the snow.Smile

Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
7 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wonderful car. The A40 Somerset was my first car, also registered in 1952. Cost me all of £25 and was eventually sold at auction for £8 and they took £4 of that as commission for selling it. I had to hitch hike back from the auctions and the very car came past me on trade plates. Anyone who owned one would know that the front shock absorbers were prone to leaking and at times the car pitched up and down like a ship on the sea.
Before that it was Shanks's pony, going out night after night in my one and only outfit of decent clothes and wet hair in the midst of winter, a bit of 'Old Spice' if we were hopeful or some Avon 'Blue Blazer'. Smile

polis_928tadw59

Remember when we had lots of memories ? Looks like we have used them all up.Grin

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 1:44 PM

We've forgotten our memories! Wink Anyway here's another motoring memory. Smile

vanguard.jpg

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109965 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 1:58 PM

Quote:
Doesn't bring tears to my eyes........ it wasn't that great!

Even with all the problems just post-war for me it was a darned sight better than being old and knackered, with all the attendent aches and pains (plus memory loss - so maybe I just think it was better, hmm? Tongue )

polis_928tadw59

The majority of adults seemed happy - they had a job, and the wife stayed at home to look after the children. Money was not plentiful, but most people managed to get by. Nowadays, it is " I want it now, and brand new, no matter how much it costs." I know one person who got into serious financial trouble with a credit card. Managed to get things squared up, and he is still being bombarded with forms from credit card companies. Surely they must have it on record that he is not in a position to have a card. I think it is only us older ones who do not want to be a "celebrity whatever."

Carabosse
9 May 2012 - 2:13 PM

Quote: darned sight better than being old and knackered

There is actually a worse scenario! Wink

And what are things coming to, after the Fabrice Muamba incident, now a 27-year old being helped after he had a heart attack in Hyde Park............. by Dustin Hoffman (aged 74) ! Story.

keith selmes
9 May 2012 - 5:17 PM

Quote: The majority of adults seemed happy

If it was after '46, they were just happy they were demobbed and no-one was trying to kill them any more. It sort of puts things in perspective.

Nowadays if anyone asks how I am, I tend not to talk about the ailments, I just say I'm upright and breathing, so I must be doing alright. Really, if I'm still here and still moving I'm ahead of the game.

polis_928tadw59

Keith, as a youngster, I recall the New Years Eve parties of, I think, 1947 0r 1948. Laid in bed and listening to parents and first footers singing their heads off and laughing. (Probably like winning the lottery, nowadays.) But it must have been a very joyous time after all they went through from 1939 until 1945. There was an article in the Daily Mail recently, where some clever knowall reckons that these times are similar to the 1930s, - things are on the up. I could not believe the contents of the article. I was always told that the 30s were really hard times. Only yesterday(after googling)I found that our local shipyard, as it was then, was closed down from 1930-37.

keith selmes
9 May 2012 - 9:03 PM

I'm sure in many ways this is a similar era to the 1930s, but so far, nothing like the severity. Not in terms of hardship in countries like the UK, at any rate.

pabloisme
pabloisme  3565 forum posts England
10 May 2012 - 6:11 AM

polis_928tadw59

all these people who TELL us how it really was, wern't even born when all the stuff they comment on happend!
we all see the mainly music shows (most real music stopped in the early 70's?) & what it was like in the 60's style TV programmes, where the commentaor / critic is a puppy and still has his mam wipe his mmmmm nose! REALLY sad?

NOTE: was the person who has been following me with a note pad working on the grumpy OLD MEN show!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Spending hours playing with Etch A Sketch

This is the modern version !

polis_928tadw59
11 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

I suppose Etch A Sketch is more demanding and educational than spending hours on Light Hearted Chat...... The latter is for buffoons, - that's why I am here.Grin I have grandchildren who have never seen a Ludo game, yet alone played it, and we used to spend ages playing it, as kids, - 'cos we did not have the money to go to the pictures(cinema). Times were hard back then, but even harder oop Norf.Smile What other table games does Ludo bring to mind ? And don't mention Monopoly, as we were that poor we could not even afford the paper Monopoly money.Tongue And likewise, don't mention scrabble - we spent our time trying to make up swear words, hoping to get one with a 'z' in it.Wink

Last Modified By polis_928tadw59 at 11 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.