Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remember when.........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
polis_928tadw59

Paul, I mentioned telex-teleprinters a few pages back. When they were in action they were like machine guns.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Jun 2012 - 7:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Railcam
Railcam  7447 forum posts Scotland
14 Jun 2012 - 7:31 PM

Quote: Something I hated more, back before the days of photocopying, we had to type on a piece of paper with the quaility of wax (that was then rolled around a drum, then every time you cranked the handle the barrel would roll over a sheet of paper, making a copy - making an error when typing was a real headache!

Was that a Gestetner machine?

SandraKay
SandraKay e2 Member 6230 forum postsSandraKay vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 7:31 PM

The public information cartoons on TV:

'Charley Says' ...... don't talk to strangers/don't play near water/don't play with matches

Last Modified By SandraKay at 14 Jun 2012 - 7:33 PM
KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 74167 forum postsKarenFB vcard England160 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 7:53 PM

Quote: Was that a Gestetner machine?

To be honest, I've forgotten the real name for it - but it was a beast of a machine and I dreaded the words "Karen, type out a stencil!".

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 7:56 PM

We use to use something called a "Banda" machine, oh I use to love the smell of the awful purple liquid we used with that!......NOT!

Ade

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 8:02 PM

Quote: "Karen, type out a stencil!"

Did you also take shorthand ?

I remember the Pitman Shorthand. Probably still got some tutorial books in the attic ! !

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 8:14 PM

Quote: I remember the Pitman Shorthand

One of my treasured possessions. Smile

pitmans.jpg

RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 7393 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 8:21 PM

Quote: We use to use something called a "Banda" machine, oh I use to love the smell of the awful purple liquid we used with that!......NOT!

Ade

The smell meant one thing to me at primary school ... the dreaded End of Term exams, trying to read an nth copy of the exam paper, in the peculiar faded pinky purple ink just added to the joy of them Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214387 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 8:30 PM

Quote: Paul, I mentioned telex-teleprinters a few pages back. When they were in action they were like machine guns

Come to think of it I probably had as well at some point Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 10:09 PM

Quote: I remember the Pitman Shorthand
One of my treasured possessions. Smile

Agghhhhhhhh..... the dreaded Pitmans! Tried learning it three times and then gave up. When done properly though it looked great. And so useful. I always regret not persevering.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2012 - 10:44 PM

I've still got my Pitmans 2000 pocket dictionary Smile I quite enjoyed when it finally clicked - forgotten it all now Smile

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 74167 forum postsKarenFB vcard England160 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 6:20 AM

Quote: Did you also take shorthand ?

I was an audio typist - I did start learning, but never got beyond the basics!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014201 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 6:22 AM

I used teletype.

Dvaid
Dvaid  5166 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 - 8:41 AM

The last of the Mohicans.

Lassie

Bill & Ben the flowerpot men

Muffin the mule

wagon wheels

sherbert dip

broken biscuits

2&1/2 d stamp

3d bits

garters

school cap

ink wells

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 8:48 AM

Pogle's Wood - the only annual I've still got.....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.