Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remember when.........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Dvaid
Dvaid  5169 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 - 9:52 AM

country dancing

nature study

stamp collecting

car number plate collecting

making fires in the woods

weekly bath whether we needed it or not

warts

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jun 2012 - 9:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 10:51 AM

Quote: weekly bath whether we needed it or not

Ah! The Knights of the Bath! Smile

polis_928tadw59
15 Jun 2012 - 12:04 PM

Trainspotting. Used to go to Newcastle Central station now and again. But the best spot was cycling about 10 miles to a spot north of Newcastle and watch all the main line trains heading for Edinburgh, or south for the Toon and beyond. Put pennies on the line for them to be flattened, but never found them after the express had gone by. Weren't the A2 locos known as 'Streaks' ?

Railcam
Railcam  7471 forum posts Scotland
15 Jun 2012 - 1:31 PM

Quote: Weren't the A2 locos known as 'Streaks' ?

No, Streaks were Class A4 with the sloping front. Such as 60022 "Mallard".

Eee, them were t' days

polis_928tadw59

Thanks for that Railcam, I was mistaken about the class no. In fact, the word 'streak' would not immediately come to mind. What was the name/publisher of the train spotters booklet series ? Was it 'Allan' or similar. And in our area, due to the coal mines there was also the LNER goods locos hauling coal wagons around. Used to spot them for their numbers. Eee by gum, kids these days don't know what they are missing - sat in front of a computer all their waking hours.Wink

Railcam
Railcam  7471 forum posts Scotland
15 Jun 2012 - 4:26 PM

Your welcome Polis. My user name might be a clue.

The publisher of the spotters' books was "Ian Allan" so your memory serves you well. One of my cherished posessions is the "Combined Volume" of summer 1959 - price then 10shillings and 6 pence of old money. Sad aren't I?

In the 1960s spotting was a harmless hobby for youngsters. Now replaced by taking drugs etc. Progress.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 4:39 PM

Quote: Streaks were Class A4 with the sloping front. Such as 60022 "Mallard".

Got pulled by two of those (one to York and another back) about 18 months ago. The 'Sir Nigel Gresley' out and 'Bittern' back.

Shot taken at 6am at King's Cross.......... you can tell I'm not a morning person, from the composition. Lol! Wink

a4.jpg

lemmy
lemmy  71843 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 - 4:52 PM

Quote: In the 1960s spotting was a harmless hobby for youngsters. Now replaced by taking drugs etc. Progress.

That's a very jaded view of young people and very unfair.

According to a Google survey, the most popular hobby among young people today is reading. Back in the 50s they were all out in their teddy boy suits stabbing one another with flick knives. The Past.

I'm an old geezer but my personal experience of young people doesn't lead me to such a bleak view of them. Most are decent, normal people just as they were in every previous age.

polis_928tadw59

Carabosse, Thank you for that photo. Many memories flooding back. I think I had spotted most of the streaks on that main line at Plessey crossing.

And lemmy, I could not afford teddy boy gear. Mind when Whitley Bay 'suffered' the Glasgow fortnight - they came down in hordes from there, prior to holidays in Italy, Spain, etc.,and we were under strict instructions never to go near Whitley for that fortnight.

lemmy
lemmy  71843 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 - 6:53 PM

Quote: And lemmy, I could not afford teddy boy gear.

I had some black suede bumpers, drainpipes and a link button velvet collared jacket. I never wanted to fight anyone, though, far more interested in the girls. And having spent what little money I had from my paper rounds on the clothes, the last thing in the world I was going to do was get them ruined in a fight.

That and being a grade one coward kept me out of trouble.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 8:11 PM

Glad the photo brought back some memories, Polis! I was surprised at the speed we were being pulled along at - by locos which are over 70 years old! I'm pretty sure we must have been into 3 figure speeds on some stretches, although these vintage machines are officially kept down to 75mph, I think. Most enjoyable experience. Smile

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2012 - 6:01 PM

Quote: ......surprised.....speed..... by locos which are over 70 years old ........

I sometimes say the same thing about my legs! Grin

Carabosse
16 Jun 2012 - 6:30 PM

Quote: I sometimes say the same thing about my legs!

Still fleet of foot then, Jas? Grin

polis_928tadw59

And, Carabosse, you must remember lowering the window in the carriage, with that big brown, leather belt, with the punched holes in it - so that you could decide how far the window should be down, - , then, then, then, - sticking your head out the window for that lung full of steam. Hard luck if one got a face full of soot. Tongue

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2012 - 7:32 PM

Quote: with that big brown, leather belt, with the punched holes in it

I remember that.. and I do not mean with a trip on the Bluebell Railway but back in the late 1950's down in Margate ! !

Last Modified By JJGEE at 16 Jun 2012 - 7:32 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.