Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remember when.........

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

polis_928tadw59

Horse and carts, business ones that it, - they had to have the owner's name painted displayed on the tailboard, or sideboard. Also, - they had to have the "tare" weight painted on the cart. I remember a fellow young PC dealing with an accident which involved a car, and a horse and cart, and he gave the "driver" of the horse and cart a form to produce his driving licence and insurance. That was in the days before MOT's. test certficates, otherwise he might have ticked the boxes for test certificate for the cart, AND the HORSE.Grin You can't beat being young and naive.Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jun 2012 - 8:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
29 Jun 2012 - 8:27 PM

I remember when....... 12 months ago to the day I started this thread and it's now good to see it's still going strong with plenty of memories still being added. Smile

All this from the knife sharpener.....

Stu

polis_928tadw59

Remember when there was a different comic every day. Mon : Lion; Tues; Dandy; Wed: ?? Thurs: Beano : Fri: The Eagle.

There was a family in our street who had 4 sons. They were never allowed any of the above - all the girl's comics were delivered to their door. It was the Johnny Cash " A Boy Named Sue" syndrome application. By were they tough ? I saw grown men, - miners and shipyard workers, cross the street, when they saw the 4 brothers approaching, and that was when they were only 8-10 yrs of age.TongueGrin

They weren't uncouth or hooligans, they even sang in the local church choir.Grin

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43917 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2013 - 8:12 PM

These days the daily comics are Jack Dee (Monday), Michael McIntyre (Tues), Prime Ministers Questions (Wed), Jo Brand (Thurs), Lee Mack, (Fri) and Dara O Briain on Saturday.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 10 Dec 2013 - 8:13 PM
collywobles
11 Dec 2013 - 8:30 AM

Bathing in the horse troughs on the side of the road on hot summer days!

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2013 - 2:51 PM

conversation was an art and not texting!

polis_928tadw59

Conversation an 'art' ? Not up wor way, hinny, unless you were a woman. You should have seen them leaning on the garden fence on a Monday morning after they had hung out all the washing. Yakkity- yak wasn't in it.Grin

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73352 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2013 - 9:38 AM

"Windie hinging", doing the same out of Glagow tenement building windows.
Rarely see it these days.

kenskinn
kenskinn  773 forum posts England
15 Dec 2013 - 10:18 PM

Billy Cotton Band Show,saw them at the Gaumont Theatre in Southampton when I were a lad,with Alan Breeze,Rita Williams and the Bandits.Who remembers the ending of his radio show with the man on the flying saucer trading insults with Billy?

kenskinn
kenskinn  773 forum posts England
15 Dec 2013 - 10:21 PM

Billy Cotton Band Show,saw them at the Gaumont Theatre in Southampton when I were a lad,with Alan Breeze,Rita Williams and the Bandits.Who remembers the ending of his radio show with the man on the flying saucer trading insults with Billy? Forgot to add,Billy Cotton introduced at the Gaumont a young man called Roy Castle who played trumpet.

n8trm
n8trm  64309 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Dec 2013 - 10:13 AM

Colliery miners had a coal allowance as part of wages - poor unsorted stuff - that was tipped into the street outside the coal house. There was a hole in the wall and little lads like me used to earn a tanner (6d) to shovel the coal up and into the coal house itself. Happy mucky days - and I could go to the pictures and have a penny left!!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2013 - 10:30 AM

Quote: There was a hole in the wall and little lads like me used to earn a tanner (6d) to shovel the coal up and into the coal house itself

It wasn't just the miners' houses that had a "Cole ole" most of the Victorian terraces and semis did from memory, except the non-miners didn't get it for free. A lot of it just after the war was mostly wet, sloppy crushed slack, used to stick to the shovel and make a real mess in the bucket

Last Modified By brian1208 at 16 Dec 2013 - 10:30 AM
altitude50
altitude50  101862 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Dec 2013 - 11:44 AM

I remember, in the early 70's there was a French onion seller who had strings of onions hanging from the handlebars of his bicycle, not an uncommon sight in the 50's and 60's, but this one was a bit different, he had only one leg!

He had a clip on his one pedal to slip his foot into and his crutch was stowed along the crossbar.

In the very early 50's my brother and I used to push a home made handcart with pram wheels to the local gasworks to buy coke.
It used to come out of a hole high up on the gasworks in large red hot chunks and roll down the pile to near our feet.

polis_928tadw59
16 Dec 2013 - 11:47 AM

The Onion Johnnies in the North East came from Roscoff. They spoke broken English with a Geordie accent.

danbrann
danbrann e2 Member 10473 forum postsdanbrann vcard 15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2013 - 5:46 PM

I used to be taken to the Empire Theatre in Newcastle every Tuesday night. I do remember seeing Franky Randal and Old Mother Riley and I think Norman Scott (over the garden wall).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.