Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remote Cameras at sporting events

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Aug 2010 - 7:09 PM

New Topic for the Sports Group

How many of you use remote cameras at sporting events, and how do you set them up - focus at the hyperfocal distance and use a remote release of some type?

I'm toying with investing in a pocket wizard transmitter and receiver, and a Canon 15mm fisheye for remote use. Does anyone have any tips for setting up this configuration?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Aug 2010 - 7:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    26 Aug 2010 - 10:42 AM

Get the pocket wizards, you will love them.

Generally I don't use a fisheye for remote shots, I stick to rectilinear but anything under 50mm will suffice.

Normaly I have a remote camera set up on the water ramps where being there yourself during a riders trick will get you wet/in the way.
    I would highly recomend a peice of 2 inch wide velcro with a 3/4mm screw and plate punched through it - instant ablity to stick your camera/pocketwizard + flash onto any scaffholding or edge.

Remote lighting I find to be much "nicer". But obviously if you can't be in the spot a remote camera is a needs-be.

samfurlong
    26 Aug 2010 - 5:19 PM

I generally use a 16-35mm for the remote camera behind the goal at footie. I tend to focus between the goal line and the 6 yard line and set about f5.6 to give a bit of DOF while keeping shutter speed up.
    Manual everything, under floodlights then exposure is a cinch as it is constant but if the weather is changeable watch out for your exposure, maybe set it in av and dial in a bit of compensation to account for the sky.

Pocketwizards and a little table top tripod complete the setup.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.