Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remote flash on Canon EOS 60D. Any 60D users suggestions please!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MiqsPix
    MiqsPix  341 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Jun 2011 - 5:09 PM

Having got the Canon EOS 60D which has a built in wireless transmitter, I find that I cannot use my Nissin speedlite as a wireless remote flash unless I use the pop up flash on camera to activate it. Also I now hear that the Canon Speedlite 430EX II is possibly the only moderately priced (approx 200) speedlite flash I can use to enable me to use as a remote flash. Is this true? If so I now have the dilemma whether to reluctantly spend more cash on a new flash or use a remote flash cable to use my Nissin which would be a lot cheaper. I wondered if any 60D users had the same problem and found any short cuts or a different MO?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Jun 2011 - 5:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_p
    steve_p  91098 forum posts England
    23 Jun 2011 - 6:06 PM

I believe it may be necessary to raise the popup flash even with a canon Speedlite

steve_p
    steve_p  91098 forum posts England
    23 Jun 2011 - 7:24 PM

Just to update- I have a 600D which works in the same way- the manual says you have to raise the popup flash for the wireless system to work!

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    23 Jun 2011 - 7:31 PM

You have to use the pop-up as a trigger, but you can use a menu setting that means it doesn't fire for the actual exposure.

MiqsPix
    25 Jun 2011 - 11:36 AM

See this.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1058583

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jun 2011 - 1:43 PM

When i read wireless on my 60D i was quite excited, but its wireless in the way that the TV remote is wireless - it uses pulses of light, not radio waves.

It also only properally communicates exposure information with other canon speedlites. Other brand flash units can typically be setup to fire in slave mode from the main flash but they will need manually setting in terms of power and zoom etc.

So I've given up with the idea of "canon wireless" flash control and now use cheap ebay proper radio wave wireless triggers to fire the remote units - all in manual mode.

If i ever get a few more canon speed lites then maybe i'll try agian with thier group modes etc. as then it may be quicker to control them all from on camara.

Cheers
    Stuart

MiqsPix
    27 Jun 2011 - 4:06 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I confess at the time I posted into several forums and got a variety of replies. This link has some very useful information.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1058583&highlight=miqs

However I called into my local Jessops store today and asked again about wireless flash. I was told that if I bought the new Canon 430 speedlite I would be able to use it as a slave WITHOUT the need of pop up flash. Apparently you need to set this up in camera first. He said that it received radio signals rather that light pulses. I could then also use my Nissin as a secondary slave as it will receive the light pulse from the 430. Obviously I cannot test this theory so I cannot confirm one way or the other, so I shall have to wait and hope I can borrow one sometime to see if it is fact.

MeanGreeny
    28 Jun 2011 - 9:31 AM

For anyone to get the absolute best from the Canon flash system I recommend you take a look at the Speedliters Handbook by Syl Arena.

I've had a 580EX II for a while and had been put off [and confused] by the complexities of it but the book reduces it all to laymans speech and shows you very clearly how to use it in any given situation.

It points out the good AND the bad [some will surprise you - especially regarding the ST-E2] and I reckon is a must-have for any owner of a speedlite. It's as comprehensive about the less expensive speedlite models e.g. 430EX as it is about the expensive ones and about 80% of it is non-Canon specific so can be used with 3rd party flash owners too.

It's one of the best written books on my [considerable] bookshelf.

Just sayin'

HTH

Hugo
    Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Jun 2011 - 2:26 PM

Another vote for Speedliters Handbook - 18, but very in-depth in a non-scary way.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171...

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jun 2011 - 6:09 PM

You both convinced me i just ordered one and i only have one speedlite :-/

Thanks Smile

MeanGreeny
    28 Jun 2011 - 6:25 PM

Quote: You both convinced me i just ordered one and i only have one speedlite

You'll not regret it - you'll be amazed what can be done and what subtle uses you'll put it to e.g. fill in

indemnity
    indemnity  6329 forum posts
    28 Jun 2011 - 8:40 PM

This is worth looking at http://shootmephotographer.blogspot.com/2011/06/pixel-bishop-radio-trigger-revie...

Some of the cheapo triggers can be unreliable. These 'new' triggers would seem to address a lot of the faults, including 'sleep mode' on speedlights.
    May be used with speedlights and/or studio heads. No real restriction on distance either.
    I have asked them to test a few more issues i've experienced with studio flash heads, no doubt the info' will be updated as data is collected.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.