Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Remote triggers for Fuji EF42 Flash

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 11:03 AM

I wonder if any of you can help me. My son bought himself a Fuji XS1 this year and for his 21st birthday, he asked for the EF42 flashgun and was rather lucky to be bought 2 of them. He's decided he's like to try some off camera flash with them and wants to get some triggers, but it's not an area that I know much about, we've been looking at triggers on ebay, but there are so many of them and most seem dedicated to either Canon or Nikon.
So if anyone can recommend either remote triggers or a cable system he could use, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Sarah

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jul 2012 - 11:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
4 Jul 2012 - 11:59 AM

I don't know anything specific about that Fuji, but for general use (non-camera-specific) I use very inexpensive "Shoot" radio triggers for off camera flash. From memory, the commander unit and two slave units cost 9 including postage direct from China on eBay.

I use them when I am wanting to use "Manual" settings on both the flashguns and the camera. In those circumstances, Nikon's CLS communication system just seems to add unnecessary complications.

So, if it's something cheap, reliable and non-sophisticated he is after, I'd recommend the "Shoot" brand, although I am sure there are others that are equally good.

User_Removed
4 Jul 2012 - 12:02 PM

....here you are. They are up to 15.99 now!!!!

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thank you for that, I'll have a good look at them when I get home from work, they don't mention Fuji flashes, but they probably will work.
Anyone else have experience with Fuji?

Last Modified By whipspeed at 4 Jul 2012 - 12:24 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 12:29 PM

The one on the camera will operate with full TTL control, the one off camera will have to be used in Auto (if it has an auto setting) or manual (hopefully it has variable power option)
All flashguns have a central pin that is the one that fires the flash so it will work on the triggers LeftForum suggests. The question is will the camera recognise the output of the second flash and adjust exposure automatically to compensate for the second flash. I doubt it but you will be able to see the lighting affect using the camera LCD as a preview and either adjust the flash setting or distance to improve the results. It will be good fun trying and you can ask further questions as we get to know more about the set up.

whipspeed
4 Jul 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Pete, I'll get him to read the thread when he gets back from work. I think he wants to shoot some portraits, he's joined a local camera group that I've set up with some friends and we are booking a model, and also some shots of his beloved Harley Davidson Smile
He shoots everything in manual, so he will enjoy playing with the settings to get the results he wants.
I've got a set of pocket wizards, but they are I assume Canon specific & he wants some of his own.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 3:10 PM

Quote: All flashguns have a central pin that is the one that fires the flash so it will work on the triggers

I sometimes use my Olympus flash system with the Fuji x10, my two FL50R`s have a slave mode as well as wireless, so I can use my old FL36 on the camera a via a cord to trigger these.

Cheapest and most simple solution would be a basic optical trigger costing 10 or less, if he cope with line of sight operation.

For non dedicated manual settings you could even lend him your Canon flash units and if you have one of those ttl off camera leads even better.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Jul 2012 - 3:15 PM
whipspeed
4 Jul 2012 - 3:24 PM

Thanks Paul, think he would be fine with line of sight operation & didn't realise he could use my Canon units, that's another line he could take.

Main problem is I'm not really sure what would work with his gear, I went for the pocket wizards as I knew they would work. But I'm stumped when looking for a system that I don't know and doesn't have anything dedicated. So with the optical triggers, would that be a similar kit, ie trigger & a couple of receivers?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 3:35 PM

For indoors and line of sight these are fine, shop around though I paid about 5 for mine 10 years ago Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Slave-Unit-Shoe-Contact/dp/B00005LLPK/ref=pd_sxp_gr...

What`s needed is some Kind of tutorial comparing cheap optical slave/flash solutions to the more expensive wireless/dedicated flash systems.

An effective basic second flash and trigger can be got for as little as 10, just as good as something costing hundreds.

whipspeed
4 Jul 2012 - 3:49 PM

Thanks Paul, I can show him these options when he gets in from work. He's really enjoying the Fuji XS1, and getting some pretty good shots with it, but it would be nice to be able to add a bit more creative flash to it.

Paul Morgan
4 Jul 2012 - 3:58 PM

The XS1 is very capable Sarah.

I use my x10 for street portraits using flash and getting superb results, these fuji`s have decent sensors and are well up to the job.

Here`s an early test I did, no fancy dedicated flash used.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/paul-morgan-599/gallery/photo/---21750208

whipspeed
4 Jul 2012 - 4:34 PM

That has come out really well, Simon is just learning, he got the camera as something to walk around and relax with as a break from final uni exams and revision, some of his stuff is on here in his member portfolio Pooks616.
It does what he wants and is portable enough to pop in a back pack or small bag.

Paul Morgan
4 Jul 2012 - 5:05 PM

I`m sure he`l quickly get the hang of it, have you got a cheap light meter, not essential but handy.

whipspeed
4 Jul 2012 - 6:20 PM

Yes, I've got a light meter he can use.

Paul Morgan
6 Jul 2012 - 12:17 AM

You will find it useful, far better than chimping Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.