Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Removing a back ground

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Freila
    Freila  4106 forum posts
    6 Jul 2012 - 5:00 PM

Hi
    I believe I have grasp how to remove a back ground using Photoshop But my Question is ....I have a photo up at the moment of a dragonfly, I would of loved to take it away from the background it is on but because you can see through his wings it seamed to me it could not be done so if any one knows a link showing me it can I would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Debbie

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Jul 2012 - 5:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

guidoa
    guidoa  121328 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Jul 2012 - 5:05 PM

A very useful starting point might be the Technique section of EPZ, there are a number of suggestions which you might find helpful

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2012 - 5:54 PM

Hi Debbie,

There is also a question of what you are replacing the background with and how you will want that to show through?

I think i would start with the wings on a seperate layer, then try to remove some of the green colour channel information, and a bit of the red too. then i might try and make the wings B&W and increase contrast to lose whats left.
    I'm not sure about the forst part as i only have elements and don't think that has a colour channel control i can use.

Keen to hear from others how it could be done as well Smile

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 6 Jul 2012 - 5:55 PM
    puertouk
    puertouk  21068 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2012 - 6:21 PM

Hi Debbie, why not put your image of the dragonfly up, so maybe we might have a chance of doing a mod on it ourselves and then we can inform you how it can be done or it can't be done.
    Stephen

Freila
    Freila  4106 forum posts
    6 Jul 2012 - 6:38 PM

Thank you all for your help,
    Quote: Hi Debbie, why not put your image of the dragonfly up, so maybe we might have a chance of doing a mod on it ourselves and then we can inform you how it can be done or it can't be done.
    Stephen

It is up at the moment but not as a mod that's a very good idea Not sure if it will allow me to do that as i have posted today but will try if not I will put it up tomorrow
    Debbie

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2012 - 7:59 PM

TOPAZ

Perfect Mask

The challenge is to maintain transparency in hard-to-mask objects like veils and hair, whilst also not loosing assocaited tones. For example keeping the sunlight veil when moving it to a new backdrop. The "dragonfly" presents the same problems. I am not aware of anyone doing this purely in photoshop withou the use of add-ins like TOPAZ easy mask, or OnOne Mask Pro.

Last Modified By miptog at 6 Jul 2012 - 8:02 PM
    Jestertheclown

Hi Freila,
    If you're hoping to replace the background including the area visible through the wings, I reckon it's a very big ask and certainly not something that I'd want to take on.
    In the gallery though, you say that you'd be happy enough to retain the existing background but to remove the plant.
    That would require a different approach and would be considerably easier. Working on (a copy of) your original RAW file, I think that it would be possible to replace the bits that are the 'wrong' colour by very, very careful cloning, pixel painting, in fact, amongst other things.
    You'll notice though, that I said 'easier' and not 'easy!'

whatsthisbuttondo
    whatsthisbuttondo e2 Member 3whatsthisbuttondo vcard England
    7 Jul 2012 - 1:33 PM

topaz remask 3 shows a brides veil much the same as wing it only takes them few minutes its worth a look

Dave_Canon
    7 Jul 2012 - 3:02 PM

The only software I have used that can do this is Topaz Re-mask 3. It would probably be a little expensive to buy on its own but buying a bundle of Topaz Plug-ins could be a good investment if you are keen on image enhancement. I believe that you can have 30 days free trial so might be worth trying it out. However, I would advise you to look at one of the Topaz video tutorials first. While general cutting out is straightforward, you do need some manual intervention to deal with transparent areas like those wings. However, once you get the hang of it, the results are very good.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.