Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Removing lines from a photograph with Photoshop

22 May 2012 10:09PM
hello all,
I am new to this community and seeking assistance. I have been working on topographical photography in a foreign land and had to order my film from the States. Well, everything that passes through the U.S. gets xrayed and now I have these annoying white scan lines on my photographs. Anyone out there have a good method for getting rid of these? Cloning doesn't work and masking has been a pain with paultry results. Below is an example of my problem.

Thanks in advance.

example-scan1.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 May 2012 12:32AM
I've had a (very) quick dabble in Photoshop using the Spot Healing brush set to content-aware but it's not ideal. There are those who could work wonders with it, I'm sure.

Have you considered shooting digital and avoiding these problems completely? Smile

example-scan1-rev.jpg

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
23 May 2012 12:50AM
Is that scan line in the same place on every sheet.
23 May 2012 4:30AM

Quote:Is that scan line in the same place on every sheet.

Yep, out of 500 slides 302 images have these scan lines.
23 May 2012 10:56AM
Google "Photoshop Batch Processing" and "Photoshop Actions", it's easy to fix the lot doing that.
NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
23 May 2012 11:32AM
How about this ?
scanline-reduction.jpg

Done pretty quickly of course, and on the low res images. I reckon with an extra 10-15 minutes fiddling and the
larger source file ( assuming there is one ) you could probably get rid of it completely.

If you want, PM me and I'll see about sending you the PSD so you can see how it's done, or I can explain it here...if you like the result, of course...
23 May 2012 12:48PM
I'm not sure you should be "fixing" this, these need to be accurite I suspect, cloning or repairing the image means it's altered, you might loose something important. I'd suggest you get your film from elsewhere or return it as damaged, the makers must know if it's being xrayed if it's the normal practice and shouldn't sell abroad if their products going to be faulity when it arrives.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 May 2012 1:14PM
I do agree with Wayne's comment above. Is there really some reason why you can't use a digital camera, incidentally?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 May 2012 1:49PM

Quote:Google "Photoshop Batch Processing" and "Photoshop Actions", it's easy to fix the lot doing that.

??????
NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
23 May 2012 2:28PM
..I agree with Keith's comment above..... Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
23 May 2012 2:30PM

Quote:Yep, out of 500 slides 302 images have these scan lines

Are your sure these are not light leaks ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.