Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Removing lines from a photograph with Photoshop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cerebralyawn
    22 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

hello all,
    I am new to this community and seeking assistance. I have been working on topographical photography in a foreign land and had to order my film from the States. Well, everything that passes through the U.S. gets xrayed and now I have these annoying white scan lines on my photographs. Anyone out there have a good method for getting rid of these? Cloning doesn't work and masking has been a pain with paultry results. Below is an example of my problem.

Thanks in advance.

example-scan1.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

I've had a (very) quick dabble in Photoshop using the Spot Healing brush set to content-aware but it's not ideal. There are those who could work wonders with it, I'm sure.

Have you considered shooting digital and avoiding these problems completely? Smile

example-scan1-rev.jpg

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

Is that scan line in the same place on every sheet.

cerebralyawn
    23 May 2012 - 4:30 AM

Quote: Is that scan line in the same place on every sheet.

Yep, out of 500 slides 302 images have these scan lines.

Pat_Stones
    23 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Google "Photoshop Batch Processing" and "Photoshop Actions", it's easy to fix the lot doing that.

NikLG
    NikLG  91736 forum posts England
    23 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

How about this ?
    scanline-reduction.jpg

Done pretty quickly of course, and on the low res images. I reckon with an extra 10-15 minutes fiddling and the
    larger source file ( assuming there is one ) you could probably get rid of it completely.

If you want, PM me and I'll see about sending you the PSD so you can see how it's done, or I can explain it here...if you like the result, of course...

swanseamale47
    23 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'm not sure you should be "fixing" this, these need to be accurite I suspect, cloning or repairing the image means it's altered, you might loose something important. I'd suggest you get your film from elsewhere or return it as damaged, the makers must know if it's being xrayed if it's the normal practice and shouldn't sell abroad if their products going to be faulity when it arrives.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 1:14 PM

I do agree with Wayne's comment above. Is there really some reason why you can't use a digital camera, incidentally?

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023038 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 1:49 PM

Quote: Google "Photoshop Batch Processing" and "Photoshop Actions", it's easy to fix the lot doing that.

??????

NikLG
    NikLG  91736 forum posts England
    23 May 2012 - 2:28 PM

..I agree with Keith's comment above..... Tongue

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 2:30 PM

Quote: Yep, out of 500 slides 302 images have these scan lines

Are your sure these are not light leaks ?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.