Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

removing reflections

Paulbee e2
10 36 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2012 3:36PM
To celebrate our golden wedding we took a once in a lifetime trip over the Grand Canyon in a helicopter, fantastic.
However most shots taken from within the helicopter have picked up reflections from the wnidshield. Any hints please on how to get rid of them in photoshop.
All help appreciated
Regards, Paul.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.2k 4 Wales
13 Jun 2012 4:25PM
Probably best if you upload one here for us to have a look at.

Ken
Paulbee e2
10 36 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2012 5:15PM
Thanks for your reply Ken.
Struggling with a new computer and unfamiliar system and could'nt upload here. Just uploaded in the main gallery.
Paul.
Paulbee e2
10 36 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2012 5:16PM
img-1873.jpg

Just managed to upload the image Ken
thewilliam 6 4.7k
13 Jun 2012 5:20PM
Polarising filter?
conrad 10 10.9k 116
13 Jun 2012 5:48PM

Quote:Polarising filter?

Doesn't work after the fact, does it - no good in post processing, only in shooting.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 Jun 2012 7:23PM
Its a great excuse to take another trip of a lifetime, Only this time remember the Polarising filter......Grin

You can't take it with you.....Wink
conrad 10 10.9k 116
13 Jun 2012 7:48PM
Well, you can't take the Grand Canyon with you, but a polarising filter is actually quite easy to take! Smile
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2012 8:13PM
Paul - I am no expert but I recon the reflections here are too extensive to salvage. I know it is of no help, but the guys above are right and prevention is better than cure. Personally, I find getting the front of the lens as close the the glass as possible helps reduce the reflections. Even better is the use of a rubber lens hood - when pressed against glass it gives to allow for some curvature - aim to get the lens hood to touch the glass all the way around. Like I say - its a bugger of a tip now you are back, but put it down to a lesson learned and keep the pics as a help to retain a wonderful trip in your memory.

Adam
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 9:14AM
Try using the burn tool or the adjustment brush, but whether it works I don't know, as the reflections are strong.
Stephen
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 10:00AM
In Photoshop, I'd create a multiple selection containing only the reflections and I'd feather those slightly then try levels adjustment on those areas. There are plenty of tutorial videos on selection / masking and also on levels.
Paulbee e2
10 36 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 11:03AM
Thanks Chris, Stephen and Adam for the sound advice. I am certainly be going to be busy.
Regards Paul.
Dabber 12 138 England
21 Jun 2012 10:45PM
Most frustrating, this is quite a common when shooting through glass.

I'm sure that I have seen, either an advert for, or a review about a sort of flexible lenshood type of a thing. The idea being that it is held up against the glass, thus avoiding any chance of refections 'spoiling' the image.

I can't remember where I saw it, can anyone out there help, especially if you have any experience using one?

Regards

Dabber

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.