Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Renaming the Critique Gallery and Team: your suggestions please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

First of all, I am very well aware of the thread currently going on here.

However, to get away from the 'full and frank' discussions on there and concentrate on just one particular aspect, I thought I would see if there is any support for renaming the CG and, inevitably following on from that, the critique team. This thread is purely for your suggestions...... and may I suggest we do our best to keep it that way! Smile

The problem with the word critique is that an awful lot of people think it just means criticism. It does not. But rather than start a never-ending educational project, which probably won't work anyway, should we perhaps bite the bullet and use a different word? It may seem a small thing, but sometimes small actions can have larger consequences, as we all know. To some extent it is a little bit of psychology. Wink

My suggestion is: Help Gallery

Do you agree? If not, what are your alternatives?

Last Modified By Carabosse at 1 May 2012 - 12:05 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

Quote: Do you agree? If not, what are your alternatives?

Its worth a shot, but honestly don't feel it'll change anything CB...Smile, but you have my vote for what its worth Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

It would be good to hear from the critique team as well, of course.

I can't really see any downside to making this small change... if it has some effect, that will be great. If not, there's no loss. Smile

strokebloke
1 May 2012 - 1:14 AM

I think that you would have to re-write the T&C's as well as change the name CB.
Otherwise, initially, everyone would merely state that they critiqued to help others: so why the name change?
I belong to another site (not photographic)
It only has 2 rules
Rule 1. Be Nice.
Rule 2. If you can't be nice; see Rule 1

Last Modified By strokebloke at 1 May 2012 - 1:15 AM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 1:34 AM

How about the Look and Learn Gallery.

This was a comic from many, many years ago and it was exactly that.

Jane

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 5:17 AM

Or the You've Got to be Kidding Gallery. Poor joke.Tongue

I like Critique Gallery, but I won't throw the toys out of the pram if it's changed, just as long as I can find it.Grin

brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
1 May 2012 - 7:02 AM

I like it as it is TBH. I knew exactly what I was letting myself in for when I put photo,s in there, of course individual preference would creep in its human nature. For a beginner like me its invaluable. Put a photo in, read the critiques, learn from it, simples

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 7:19 AM

Maybe:
Changing people's attitude, rather than changing name Gallery? Wink

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
1 May 2012 - 7:33 AM

I say reclaim the word critique. Don't dumb the language down.

Link to definition and usage note

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 7:38 AM

Quote: How about the Look and Learn Gallery.
This was a comic from many, many years ago and it was exactly that. Jane

Look and Learn was not exactly a comic Jane - it was an excellent and informative magazine for young people and I was practically brought up on it, which is why I'm like I am today. Grin I don't think many people would contribute to or look at a L&L Gallery though.

How about a rule that if someone uploads to the CG and receives advice they have to amend their image (if it's a PS problem) and upload the photo again showing that they've understood the suggestions and acted upon them. Then perhaps discuss what they thought of the assistance given, either good or bad. That way it would show that any critique has been noted and used to good effect. Obviously if it's a landscape with composition problems it might not be feasible to retake the image, but manips would be possible for most contributors. That way you get a 2-way dialogue and both sides get feedback.

779HOB
1 May 2012 - 7:50 AM

Quote: they have to amend their image (if it's a PS problem)

That could be a problem is you don't have the photoshop skills - or agree with the advice. I do think you should have to reply to the critiques and say what you agree with and what you don't, and why, you know discuss, critique. That why both (or all) parties learn something.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 7:54 AM

Mmm, see what you mean by no PS knowledge. But on the whole I think most photographers do have, at least, basic skills these days.

I know in the past I've responded to crits by changing and reloading as versions, sometimes for the better and other times not so good. I just like a bit of interaction and the feeling that at least one or two people are taking the time to comment/advise, so the least I can do is show that it's appreciated.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 1 May 2012 - 7:54 AM
brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
1 May 2012 - 8:01 AM

focused thats a good idea, as long as it dont turn into a slanging match. Personally I like it as it is the advice has been great, take my waterfall for example, i thought wow this is great, put it up for critique and it was slated (colour balance all wrong) soon as i saw the mod I could see it, up until then i thought i had a decent photo. Without that input I would have just carried on thinking I was doing a good job.

779HOB
1 May 2012 - 8:08 AM

Quote: I think most photographers do have, at least, basic skills these days

What you call basics I might call advanced!

I think if someone uploads to the CG they need to say what they are trying to achieve with the photo and why it works for them, if it does. If it doesn't work for them then I wonder if they would be better uploading to the forum for help on improving it saying what it's working for them. They might also have to accept the photo is never going to work!

779HOB
1 May 2012 - 8:12 AM

Quote: it was slated (colour balance all wrong) soon as i saw the mod I could see it, up until then i thought i had a decent photo. Without that input I would have just carried on thinking I was doing a good job.

You also have to be able to stand by your on photos and what you are happy with - not every bit of advice by those who "know better" is always right for you and your work. In your case it was obviously something that you agreed with but just because someone thinks your colour balance is out doesn't mean it is for you and your style. That's why explaining you intention is very important when putting something up for critique. If you don't do this I don't really see how anyone can offer a proper crit of your work.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.