Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replace my S95

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
6 Jul 2012 - 9:15 PM

A friend impressed with my S95's stills and video quality has bought it from me. He's off to Ireland tomorrow for a big fancy housewarming party and then going on a trip to the South of France. He wanted to buy something today and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I immediately ordered an S100 on Amazon, then cancelled it 10 minutes later. I'd forgotten to use a gift voucher and figured I could do with some more thinking time.

Budget is £375. What else should I look at?

Realistically it's got to fit in jeans pocket. I don't mind if it's a bit bigger than the S95 - so long as there's an advantage. Must have decent video. It's going to be the bloody Oly isn't it? Is it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jul 2012 - 9:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
6 Jul 2012 - 9:16 PM

OMFG I'm going to become a mirrorless-lovin tw@ SadGrin

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 9:26 PM

Won't fit in your jeans pocket though.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 9:31 PM

Maybe Chris wears those big baggy pants, gangsta style? MChris Hammerpants?

User_Removed
6 Jul 2012 - 9:35 PM

I'm starting to get into combat type trousers, not camoflague, but multi-pocket. I think it's going to depend on lenses. I need to get something wide enough for indoor use (say 24 equiv) with approx zoom of 70 equiv that I can leave attached all the time. Decisions, decisions. Damn Denny and his great bird shots

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Jul 2012 - 9:35 PM
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 10:40 PM

Panasonic Lumix LX5. Equivalent 24-90mm lens, shoots RAW, full manual override (as well as all those scene modes), takes filters (with an adapter that costs about £5), takes external flash (or additional viewfinder) and it does high ISO well. In short, you can use it like a point and shoot, or like an SLR, or anywhere between. And it shoots video.
Oh, and image quality is fantastic as it has a bigger sensor than most compacts.

I love mine, can you tell?

Nick

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 10:43 PM

How ironic that I've just bought an S100. Maybe you should get an Ixus, Chris - i.e., reverse our positions! Grin

You'll need a biggish pocket to fit in the OM-D. I can just about get it into a coat pocket with the Panny pancake on. But it's too heavy to be comfortable.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 10:56 PM

Oh and just to say I thought long and hard about whether to replace my Ixus and, if so, with what. As well as the Canon S95/S100, I looked at the Olympus XZ-1, Panny LX5, Fuji X10, Nikon Coolpix things, Sony HX20 and one or two less serious contenders.

I came to the conclusion none were 100% perfect but ultimately I came down in favour of the Canon S100 (just edged it over the S95 because of video).

I do feel the S100 may be the last compact I ever buy because of advances in camera phones showcased by such as the Nokia 808 which beat the Olympus Pen E-PL2 in 'blind' image quality tests.

Carabosse
6 Jul 2012 - 11:04 PM

Oh just had a thought.............. how about something like this. I think you may need to see it in the metal/plastic to judge size etc.

B_Real
B_Real  8126 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Jul 2012 - 11:04 PM

Just above your budget but look at the Sony RX100. Same size sensor as the Nikon 1 series csc's. This appears to be the future of serious compacts that may just help fend off camera phones.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5896/sony-cyber-shot-rx100-large-1-inch-sensor...
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-dsc-rx100
http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/compactcameras/129306/1/sony-...

My local Jessops (Edinburgh) is getting some stock in mid July.

User_Removed
7 Jul 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks. That Sony, in particular, is very interesting

Carabosse
7 Jul 2012 - 11:25 AM

Just to say, as I've said on another thread, the Sony RX100 is 36mm thick compared with 26mm of the Canon S100..... so you'll need baggy jeans if you want to pocket it. The pre-order price is £549 at WEX.

User_Removed
7 Jul 2012 - 11:36 AM

Things are getting worse. I've been looking at those Nokia phones. I might leave Android/Samsung and Canon in one go. Have heard fab stuff about Windows Phone

Carabosse
7 Jul 2012 - 11:37 AM

You mean the Nokia 808? An Android version would fly off the shelves methinks! Smile

User_Removed
7 Jul 2012 - 3:33 PM

Been looking at them and see that some are Windows some Symbian. Apparently some of the Nokia cameraphones have real camera buttons, including half-press to focus. Might leave the phone for a year and just get the S100. How are you finding it CB?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.