Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacement battery for the 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cheddar-caveman
22 Jan 2011 - 8:09 AM

With an original battery costing anythig around 50+, has anybody found a "replacement" battery for the 7D, i.e.

1/. It is chargable with the original Canon charger (won't damage it) and

2/. When in camera, the camera can display battery condition as the ooriginal does i.e. Remaining capacity, Shutter count and Recharge performance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jan 2011 - 8:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

urdygurdy
urdygurdy  6136 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2011 - 10:11 AM

I had a uniross battery equivalent for my Eos 40D and it was brilliant, it was much cheaper around 10 and just as good, yet it was a branded product.

So i am to interested in this thread as i could do with a spare battery for my Eos 7D but cannot as of yet find a uniross version :-( I will give ebay cheapo specials a miss i think.......!!

cheddar-caveman
22 Jan 2011 - 12:10 PM

I have found this one and asked the questions:

Can you confirm that:

1/. It is chargable with my original Canon charger (won't damage it)

2/. When in camera, the camera can display battery condition as the ooriginal does i.e. remaining capacity, shutter count and recharge performance

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130445043988&ssPage...

I have received a reply stating "yes it is compatable on all these counts". 17.99?

JanieB43
JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2011 - 3:48 PM

Have a look at Premier Ink website. I got one from there when I got my 7D,it works perfectly well,not damaged the charger and the levels show up in camera. I think it was around 26.

Jane

justin c
justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2011 - 4:56 PM

I bought a couple of compatable ones from 7dayshop.com. About 10 each, or thereabouts, if I remember correctly. You can use the Canon charger and yes they do display the amount of charge remaining.

cuffit
cuffit  7176 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2011 - 6:19 PM

Michael, I bought my 7D not long after they arrived on the market and I remember having a rant on this site about the cost of Canon batteries (70+ as I recall and nearly one-tenth of the camera cost) and how the new 'information battery' locked buyers into buying expensive batteries when other companies could produce them more cheaply (I have non-Canon batteries in my 30D and G5 for example). The replies ranged between agreement at one end and, at the other end, why would you pay so much for a good camera and then put a cheap battery in it? Where is all this leading, you ask?

I decided that I wasn't going to pay Canon and bought a Canon-compatable battery from the company that sold me the camera (who I would buy from again) and asked specifically about the non-display of battery information on the LCD panel - advised it would; the guy even had to go and ask a colleague for the answer. The battery wasn't that cheap either. As it happened, it didn't display the info but I decided to keep it as it was only a spare and worked OK. However, on second time of using it wouldn't come out! It took me about 15 minutes to find an ingenious way of getting it out and my heart was in my mouth every second as I wondered how I would explain it to a Canon dealer; non-Canon battery - your expense mate and no argument from me!! I haven't dared put it back in and bought a Canon battery as back-up. I didn't send the battery back as I had accepted it as it was and I am not sure I could prove that it became stuck anyway, there was no visible difference between them - a costly mistake.

From the messages above, it would seem that non-Canon batteries are now on the market that do display the LCD info; however, I would ask the company you choose if that is the case and make it a condition of sale (if that is possible with many of these internet dealers). Perhaps my experience was a one-off, it could be, but I dare not insert the battery again. One other thing that has been mentioned, I don't know how much photography you do but I have yet to use a battery in one day. I like going to British Superbike meetings and use the motordrive all day on maximum burst and have yet to fit the spare - I know this is subjective as you would need to know frame-rates and pictures taken, but for ordinary use you probably don't need a spare if you can get to a charger in the evening (I still like to have one though I must admit).

I hope this helps toward tour final decision. If you do find a fully compatable battery please let me know as I still think Canon would make more money by selling theirs at a reasonable price, which would stop all this nonsense with cheap spares.

Chris

Last Modified By cuffit at 22 Jan 2011 - 6:22 PM
cheddar-caveman
22 Jan 2011 - 7:07 PM

Quote: I bought a couple of compatable ones from 7dayshop.com. About 10 each, or thereabouts, if I remember correctly. You can use the Canon charger and yes they do display the amount of charge remaining.

Thanks justin - these look really good value for money!Grin I've emailed them asking all the questions so I'll see what they come back with. Certainly the best price I've seen.
Cheers

alanworland
23 Jan 2011 - 6:15 PM

Have a look on ebay, I bought a genuine Canon battery for about 20 - not worth buying compatibles. (I have just seen one for 17.95 post free)
Works a treat, only bought one because they last so well!

justin c
justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2011 - 9:52 PM

For 20 it probably is a compatable or a fake. Do you have a link to the one you bought.

Last Modified By justin c at 23 Jan 2011 - 9:52 PM
cheddar-caveman
24 Jan 2011 - 7:29 AM

Quote: Have a look on ebay, I bought a genuine Canon battery for about 20 - not worth buying compatibles. (I have just seen one for 17.95 post free)
Works a treat, only bought one because they last so well!

Umm are you sure it was a "real" Canon? I've been to several Ebay cheap "Canon Battery" sites which on challenge admit that they are NOT actual Canon even though they have "Canon" on the posting! However, having said that, as long as they charge using the Canon charger supplied, there shouldn't be a problem .

As per last posting, can you remember which site you got it from. Nothing like letting someone else do the trials for youWink

javam
javam  101083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2011 - 4:31 PM

I would be interested to know what the shot life span of these non canon ones are. I am not against non oem batteries, I had a few 7 Day shop specials for my last camera, cheap and worked ok, but lasted half as long as the OEM one.

I bought a second canon battery for my 7D and have no complaints. I had both in the battery grip at the Fairford airshow last year, took about 4,500 pictures and did a fair amount of reviewing but still had 20% left on each battery at the end of the day. Horses for courses, but I would rather carry two batteries I can trust around in the camera, than 4 cheapy ones and have to swap them at a critical time.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53646 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2011 - 4:52 PM

I've got 2 non OEM's for my 60D (same battery, also for 5Dmk2 i believe) then all need to say decoded/chipped to work as per the canon one regards charging and displaying charge in the camera.
The also said they held charge longer than the orig's with a higher rated mAh's - they both seem fine so far, one from ebay and one from amazon traders.
Yes i do check them often for heat/leakage but years of experiance with alternatives leaves me fairly confident that this is the right decision.
Another option is the battery back, on the 60D it takes AA bateries too - a good backup.

cheddar-caveman
25 Jan 2011 - 4:55 PM

Oh well, job done. Good reviews and assurance that it will work properly! For 10 what the heck. If it's no good not a lot lost, and if I'm not 100% happy, return! Having said that, I'm sure that in the camera it will only display the %charge left, not shot number or rechargability - but who needs those any way?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=109... = 9.99

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 5:45 PM

To be honest the real thing to worry about is does it have a thermal cut put to protect when charging as when the cells reach end of life it is not unheard of for them to develop an overheat condition. I never leave the things on overnight charging for that reason.

In-camera probably fine.

cheddar-caveman
25 Jan 2011 - 6:08 PM

Quote: To be honest the real thing to worry about is does it have a thermal cut put to protect when charging as when the cells reach end of life it is not unheard of for them to develop an overheat condition. I never leave the things on overnight charging for that reason.

In-camera probably fine.

Did you mean in camera charging? That is something I'd never do! All batteries will heat up when charged and when they heat up they will expand. If they are constrained in the camera it could cause a problem for both the camera and the battery. And no, I'd never leave a battery on charge overnight.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.