Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacement battery for the 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 11:43 PM

No I mean in-charger fire that can then lead onto a fire in your house.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2011 - 11:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alanworland
27 Jan 2011 - 9:09 PM

At the time I commented on the Ebay Canon battery there was one there! Can't find it now!
However the one I got hold of IS a genuine battery, absolutely identical to the one supplied with my 7D
Worth keeping a lookout for.

cheddar-caveman
28 Jan 2011 - 9:42 AM

IF I was going to charge (anything) overnight, I would do it standing on the draining board or similar so that if it did catch fire it wouldn't burn the house down! I don't think any of the batteries have thermal cutouts, I think they would be in the chager?

My biggest concern would be the possibility of the battery getting warm in the camera, during heavy current drain, and expanding, possibly damaging the camera. Highly unlikely but an outside possibility.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2011 - 10:26 AM

Quote: No I mean in-charger fire that can then lead onto a fire in your house.

One member here reported this happening to him awhile ago.

All components used in these devices should meet the regulatory flammability requirements but, unfortunately, these things still happen.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2011 - 12:25 PM

Quote: I don't think any of the batteries have thermal cutouts, I think they would be in the chager?

The problem is the battery is a bit remote from the charger in many cases so it is best to put it in the battery. As I understand it the canon genuine ones do have a thermal cut out, but I have not taken one apart to see, nasty chemicals in any case.

cheddar-caveman
1 Feb 2011 - 11:17 AM

Good news for all the 5D and 7D owners out there. I have received my £9.99 "replacement" LP-E6 battery from 7dayshop.com and it works a treat, just like the £50+ original from Canon, giving all the information in the "battery info. menu tab.

It is identical except it hasn't got "Canon" on it and it only cost £9.99 instead of the extortionate £50+ from the OEM.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?&products_id=109461

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.