Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacement batteries

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KingBee
    KingBee e2 Member 8327 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Looking for a replacement battery for my Lumix 3, I see there is a plethora of 'replacement' batteries (ie, copies) on eBay and elsewhere which sell for a few pounds, compared to 25-30+ for the real thing. Are these replacement batteries any good - or do you really only get what you pay for? Can they damage the camera in any way? I don't know anything about them - all my spares for my other cameras are the genuine article (as in, Panasonic-branded).

What's the experience of others, please?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
    21 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Sure, you are safer with the genuine battery. Replacements are more likely to have lesser capacity and increased risk of overheating. I can not recall though any real life example when such a battery damaged the camera. Would be interesting to know if it ever happened. I used replacements for older cameras quite extensively and find them to be decent value for the money - just never buying the cheapest ones, always aiming mid-range.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 21 May 2013 - 12:08 PM
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

I've never had a replacement damage the camera. And when i can buy 4 for the price of a new branded one i do.
    Sometimes the cheap ones fail so i get at least 2 cheapies and usually from 2 different sources in case its a bad batch.
    A few do fail early and I've started labelling them with a purchase date so i can track back to the supplier as even the cheap ones sometimes have guarantees.

Really bugs me that batteries, inks etc are all over priced in the way that they are.

mikehit
    mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Do you mean the Lumix G3? I have 2 genuine Panasonic batteries and a Hahnel clone which seems to be just as reliable as the Panasonic brand (I have also bought Hahnel batteries for my Canon DSLR as well with equally good results).

There are not many battery manufacturers in the world so there is a fair chance that the ePay ones are the 'genuine' article but I hedge my bets by buying third party batteries under a name I recognise. Rightly or wrongly, I am more comfortable buying from places like 7dayshop than sites like ePay.

SteveHunter
    21 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

I always use copies for my camera. (Canon EOS 60D, and my previous 400D). I got mine from 7dayshop, and they were certainly as good, if not better than the Canon originals.

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91030 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

I've used Hahnel batteries in my D300 and found them to be as good as the originals.

AlanJ
    AlanJ e2 Member 1373 forum postsAlanJ vcard England
    21 May 2013 - 1:25 PM

Thanks for the reference to 7dayshop. Never heard of them before.
    Just ordered 2 x canon LP-E8 compatible, a "gorillapod" type mini tripod and a box of 10 silica bags for just a bit more than one LP-EB including 1 day delivery! Grin
    Has anyone used their memory cards?

franken
    franken e2 Member 113027 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2013 - 1:31 PM

Quote: Thanks for the reference to 7dayshop. Never heard of them before.
    Just ordered 2 x canon LP-E8 compatible, a "gorillapod" type mini tripod and a box of 10 silica bags for just a bit more than one LP-EB including 1 day delivery! Grin
    Has anyone used their memory cards?

I've been using the company for about 10 years without any problems and most of my memory cards came from them and again, with no problems.

ken

KingBee
    KingBee e2 Member 8327 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 May 2013 - 1:59 PM

Thanks to all. In reply to mikehit,, sorry, my mistake - I left off the "LX" prefix. I don't mean the G3 (which, incidentally, I also have) - I mean the LX3, which is an amazing compact by any standard (overtaken, but not necessarily beaten, by the LX5, and now the LX7). Apologies for any confusion.

thewilliam
    21 May 2013 - 2:37 PM

Third-party batteries are very variable quality. If you get a reputable make like Delkin from a reliable dealer like Picstop, 7Dayshop or MyMemory, it's likely to be as good as the original.

tpfkapm
    tpfkapm  3133 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 May 2013 - 6:16 PM

I have a hahnel battery and compared to the genuine canon 7d ones it is a poor performer and charge depletes much quicker

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.