Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Replacement batteries

KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
21 May 2013 11:53AM
Looking for a replacement battery for my Lumix 3, I see there is a plethora of 'replacement' batteries (ie, copies) on eBay and elsewhere which sell for a few pounds, compared to 25-30+ for the real thing. Are these replacement batteries any good - or do you really only get what you pay for? Can they damage the camera in any way? I don't know anything about them - all my spares for my other cameras are the genuine article (as in, Panasonic-branded).

What's the experience of others, please?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 May 2013 12:07PM
Sure, you are safer with the genuine battery. Replacements are more likely to have lesser capacity and increased risk of overheating. I can not recall though any real life example when such a battery damaged the camera. Would be interesting to know if it ever happened. I used replacements for older cameras quite extensively and find them to be decent value for the money - just never buying the cheapest ones, always aiming mid-range.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
21 May 2013 12:13PM
I've never had a replacement damage the camera. And when i can buy 4 for the price of a new branded one i do.
Sometimes the cheap ones fail so i get at least 2 cheapies and usually from 2 different sources in case its a bad batch.
A few do fail early and I've started labelling them with a purchase date so i can track back to the supplier as even the cheap ones sometimes have guarantees.

Really bugs me that batteries, inks etc are all over priced in the way that they are.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
21 May 2013 12:17PM
Do you mean the Lumix G3? I have 2 genuine Panasonic batteries and a Hahnel clone which seems to be just as reliable as the Panasonic brand (I have also bought Hahnel batteries for my Canon DSLR as well with equally good results).

There are not many battery manufacturers in the world so there is a fair chance that the ePay ones are the 'genuine' article but I hedge my bets by buying third party batteries under a name I recognise. Rightly or wrongly, I am more comfortable buying from places like 7dayshop than sites like ePay.
SteveHunter e2
6 386 1 England
21 May 2013 12:19PM
I always use copies for my camera. (Canon EOS 60D, and my previous 400D). I got mine from 7dayshop, and they were certainly as good, if not better than the Canon originals.
StuartAt e2
10 1.1k 6 England
21 May 2013 12:31PM
I've used Hahnel batteries in my D300 and found them to be as good as the originals.
AlanJ e2
1 495 England
21 May 2013 1:25PM
Thanks for the reference to 7dayshop. Never heard of them before.
Just ordered 2 x canon LP-E8 compatible, a "gorillapod" type mini tripod and a box of 10 silica bags for just a bit more than one LP-EB including 1 day delivery! Grin
Has anyone used their memory cards?
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
21 May 2013 1:31PM

Quote:Thanks for the reference to 7dayshop. Never heard of them before.
Just ordered 2 x canon LP-E8 compatible, a "gorillapod" type mini tripod and a box of 10 silica bags for just a bit more than one LP-EB including 1 day delivery! Grin
Has anyone used their memory cards?

I've been using the company for about 10 years without any problems and most of my memory cards came from them and again, with no problems.

ken
KingBee e2
8 399 2 Scotland
21 May 2013 1:59PM
Thanks to all. In reply to mikehit,, sorry, my mistake - I left off the "LX" prefix. I don't mean the G3 (which, incidentally, I also have) - I mean the LX3, which is an amazing compact by any standard (overtaken, but not necessarily beaten, by the LX5, and now the LX7). Apologies for any confusion.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
21 May 2013 2:37PM
Third-party batteries are very variable quality. If you get a reputable make like Delkin from a reliable dealer like Picstop, 7Dayshop or MyMemory, it's likely to be as good as the original.
tpfkapm e2
3 151 United Kingdom
21 May 2013 6:16PM
I have a hahnel battery and compared to the genuine canon 7d ones it is a poor performer and charge depletes much quicker

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.