Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacement for D300

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MikeFear
    MikeFear  3 United Kingdom
    26 Feb 2014 - 4:29 PM

Where oh where is the Nikon replacement for the D300 [DX] bodied camera? I have been wanted to replace/upgrade for a couple of years BUT Nikon just aren't providing. Sure there have been some new FX bodied cameras and a few lower priced DX bodies BUT nothing nothing nothing to replace.
    ANYONE else got the same problem? I have an array of lenses BUT all of which would have to be replaced if I moved on up to an FX Nikon.....let alone the cost of it all.
    Love to hear from anyone with suggestions - polite ones of course!
    Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Feb 2014 - 4:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Feb 2014 - 4:40 PM

I gave up waiting and bought a D800. It's the only FX camera which will still provide an upgrade to your current setup using your existing lenses.
    Treat it as a phased upgrade. Camera first (ISO and dynamic range upgrades, and adds video), and work on the lenses later.
    You may not want to do this, but it is an option and it's how I did it.
    I used to own a 50mm 1.8, but I sold it because it never got any use. Thanks to the difference in viewing angle on an FX body, the F1.4 was the first one I bought when I picked up the D800, and I use it all the time.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 26 Feb 2014 - 4:42 PM
    MikeFear
    MikeFear  3 United Kingdom
    26 Feb 2014 - 4:47 PM

That's really useful to know thanks so much.
    I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts too.
    Grin

daibev
    daibev e2 Member 1031 forum postsdaibev vcard Wales
    26 Feb 2014 - 4:47 PM

D7100 would be the one I would go for at the moment. The quality is fantastic as it lacks the low pass filter and is 24MP. Handling and build quality is also very good. This is what I moved to from my D300s for wildlife shots.

Andy80F
    Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Feb 2014 - 5:35 PM

In the D610 not the natural replacement? Getting great reviews. However I'd back the D7100 to which I have just moved and it is a brilliant body, is weather proofed and has some grown up features (at least in comparison to my old D80).

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    26 Feb 2014 - 7:52 PM

The D71000 gives you about 25% more image resolution, more dynamic range, much better noise, better AF and if you shoot 14 bit out performs the D300.
    It may not be an exact replacement for a D300 but overall has much better performance.

richmowil
    richmowil e2 Member 5240 forum postsrichmowil vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Feb 2014 - 10:58 PM

Quote: D7100 would be the one I would go for at the moment. The quality is fantastic as it lacks the low pass filter and is 24MP. Handling and build quality is also very good. This is what I moved to from my D300s for wildlife shots.

I did exactly the same - Results are very good.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2014 - 8:25 AM

Quote: In the D610 not the natural replacement?

No, the absence of a few key features and controls means that the flexibility and user experience of the D7100/ D610 cannot match the D300, although they exceed it in other areas.
    The D7100 gets you close without doubling your cash output. I wouldn't consider the 610 without the ability to replace the lenses at the same time.

Chant57
    Chant57 e2 Member 8371 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2014 - 9:19 AM

I'm in the same situation as the OP. I have the D300s and have patiently been waiting for its successor. The D300s , as far as I'm aware, is the only DX body that Nikon acknowledge as being in their Pro range. We have seen a lot of new FX bodies from them recently, I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be looking to develop their DX pro body range with as much gusto.

discreetphoton
    27 Feb 2014 - 10:28 AM

That's a good point actually. My move to the D800 was partially influenced by my wish to retain my Nikon Pro User membership.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 27 Feb 2014 - 10:29 AM
    keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2014 - 12:29 PM

It is a bit silly really that Nikon include the 800 in their list of allowed cameras for their Pro Membership, yet it is not built any better than the 7100.

discreetphoton
    27 Feb 2014 - 1:14 PM

Admittedly, the 300 felt more robust.

ChrisJD
    ChrisJD  492 forum posts Scotland
    27 Feb 2014 - 1:36 PM

I gave up waiting as well but bought a second hand D4. I found the D7100 buffer to be too easily choked - if it were a larger buffer I'd have bought it.

JohnParminter
    27 Feb 2014 - 1:38 PM

Quote: It is a bit silly really that Nikon include the 800 in their list of allowed cameras for their Pro Membership

But as you know Keith, Pros are only interested in pixel count........ Wink

so it makes perfect sense...

Smile

thewilliam
    27 Feb 2014 - 2:30 PM

One colleague bought a couple of D800 bodies and uses DX lenses because they "auto-crop" down to the smaller frame size, when she wants a lower pixel count. 18 Megapixel is fine for a lot of portrait or baby work.

Few professionals "need" the ruggedness of the single-digit bodies. My oldest D3 is still close to pristine after 6 years of professional use in a portrait studio. Only the wear to the rubber covers or the actuation count give an indication of the amount of use.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.