Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Replacement laptop batteries

cmawson 11 271 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 11:20AM
Happy New Year to you all.

I would like some advice please. I'm looking for a company that supplies replacement laptop batteries that are usually similar or the same as the OEMs'.

I have a Sony Vaio Z series notebook, bought 3 years ago. The original battery appears to be fine with no real issues, but as it's getting old & I'm concerned that one day it'll give out & I'll be left high & dry. So I'm looking for a replacement/spare. The OEM battery is no longer supplied by Sony, so I'm having to look elsewhere. The nearest I can see that is closest to the specification of the original comes from Batterymag.co.uk .

This is the original battery info from Sony .

Has anyone had any dealings with this company? Or, has anyone got another good source of laptop replacement batteries that can be recommended?

Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 11:23AM
Personally, I'd stick with the Sony one. I got a battery from a 3rd party for a Dell laptop a few years back. It only really lasted 6 months before the charge would only last about 30 minutes. Unfortunately it also swelled and I had a fair bit of trouble getting it out of the laptop again.
6 Jan 2012 11:38AM
Thanks for that info. Unfortunately Sony are out of stock of a replacement & have been for the last 6 months, according to 2 customer reps I have spoken to, it appears as if they are no longer going to keep it in stock. This has also been the same for Sony in the USA. So, I may be forced to use a non-Sony/generic one for replacement.
theorderingone 10 2.4k United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 11:55AM
They have compatible replacements here http://www.payless-batteries.co.uk/ .

I've bought laptop batteries from here before and they've always been very high quality and they come with a 1 year warranty.
6 Jan 2012 1:37PM
Thanks for that link. I'll call them about the battery they're showing.
6 Jan 2012 5:00PM
Ok, called them, but the new battery from these guys will require additional software update including a BIOS update (all included on a CD supplied) in order for it to function on my laptop. Must admit I'm not at all happy with anything that adjusts or plays with the BIOS, unless it's a full official Sony update.

Any other ideas?
bellitems 2 2
7 Jan 2012 7:59AM

Quote:Ok, called them, but the new battery from these guys will require additional software update including a BIOS update (all included on a CD supplied) in order for it to function on my laptop. Must admit I'm not at all happy with anything that adjusts or plays with the BIOS, unless it's a full official Sony update.

Any other ideas?

As the sony laptop batteries are locked. even you got an oem battery with the cd. the oem battery may not support some of vaio z series. You'd better choose an sony genuine battery or a high quality replacement battery without a cd.
btw, for higher capacity you may also consider a discount battery which last 5+ hours.
[link removed - please read terms and conditions]

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.