Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacing 580ex2 with Yongnou Speedlites?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Lucian
Lucian  4505 forum posts
3 Sep 2012 - 2:58 PM

I just bought a yongnou 565 speedlite for 110. It looks and works exactly like a canon 580ex speedlite and works with my battery canon battery pack. It appears to do everything that my canon 580 speedlite does and i am now thinking of selling my 580ex to buy a few more of these cheaper flashes. I just wonder how long they will last as they are so cheap. I am a wedding photographer so the flash will be uses frequently on a regular basis so dont know if they will stand up to the same amount of use as the canon speedlites. Has anyone got any experience of using these flash units frequently and do they last long without any problems.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Sep 2012 - 2:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 3:26 PM

Personally i wouldnt go for anything other than the best for wedding photography simply due to the amount of stress it puts on your equipment , our 580ex2s have had a massive amount of use and a month ago one of the started to fail , sent it to canon under the cps program and had it repaired and send back within 2 days !!! thats the level of service that is paramount and i certainly wouldnt expect it from yongnou whoever they are ? Nice to see u finally posting shots on here too ! Smile

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 5:26 PM

Got to say I am seriously thinking of buying one myself to add to the other 2 canon 580ex iis I have and use myself for weddings and portraits, at that price it is worth a go as a back up i would have thought.

I know many togs have these and actually like them and have had no trouble with them either, worth a punt in my opinion.

Ian

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 5:37 PM

Am I right in thinking some of these units have a built in slave (optical trigger)

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 6:03 PM

They will trigger other flash guns like canon and there own make I am led to believe if that is what you meant Paul.
The new canon 600 ex has an internal radio trigger for the camera so it can flash off camera the 580ex ii does not have that function nor does the yongnou 565.

The 600 ex is around 600 or just under if you look hard for a bargain lol, the 580ex ii is not made by canon any more as the 600 ex has replaced it, it does seem like canon have massively bumped up there prices and i am not sure why, maybe they are trying to channel there goods towards the pro market or the dam right rich one.

Hence to say buying a yongnou 565 seems a really good deal to me and I would buy one.

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 3 Sep 2012 - 6:08 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 6:09 PM

My fl50r`s have wireless and optical slaves built in.

I would not mind a third unit but I don`t want to spend another 400 or 500 Smile

Quote: Hence to say buying a yongnou 565 seems a really good deal to me and I would buy one

I`ve got a bunch of really old units, picked up from charity shops, Hanimex, cobra etc that work fine off camera with optical triggers Smile

Your Pen EP3 has built in wireless control.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 3 Sep 2012 - 6:14 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 6:16 PM

I smash flashes at such a rate that I can only afford Yongnuo ones Wink

Used 3 on a fashion shoot and 2 at a wedding this weekend - no failures, no issues, nice beeps to tell you when they've re-charged.....

Just been using 2 on a business profile shoot in bright sunshine.... fine.

Seriously though - you can get 9 or 10 Yongnuo 560s for the price of one Canon 580EX2 - and if you're not using ETTL/HSS then they are effectively the same flash.

Paul Morgan
3 Sep 2012 - 6:21 PM

Lol you could get about 50 cheap Hanimex units for the price of one 580ex if you could find that many in a charity shop Smile

Lucian
Lucian  4505 forum posts
3 Sep 2012 - 6:35 PM

Im not joking when i say it is built just as well as the canon. The canon only goes up to plus 3 stops of exposure the yongnou goes up to 5 stops of overexposure.

Paul Morgan
3 Sep 2012 - 6:39 PM

Quote: The canon only goes up to plus 3 stops of exposure the yongnou goes up to 5 stops of overexposure

Smile Smile

How did you work that out.

ianrobinson
3 Sep 2012 - 6:42 PM

Quote: I`ve got a bunch of really old units, picked up from charity shops, Hanimex, cobra etc that work fine off camera with optical triggers

Your Pen EP3 has built in wireless control.

Does the olympus pen EP3 support ettl and what flash unit supports it too do you know ade or Paul, I am interested to buy one for the oly and i want to experiment a bit more with the camera.

Quote: Seriously though - you can get 9 or 10 Yongnuo 560s for the price of one Canon 580EX2 - and if you're not using ETTL/HSS then they are effectively the same flash

so the yongnuo does not support ETTL then?, I use ETTL pretty much all the time with my mini flex tt1 and tt5, just makes it easier to get the correct exposure when your in a hurry doing weddings.

ianrobinson
3 Sep 2012 - 7:39 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-YN560-II-Flash-Speedlite-w-LCD-Screen-Canon-5D...

There's a link for you Lucian, fill your boots m8 Smile

Lucian
Lucian  4505 forum posts
3 Sep 2012 - 8:13 PM

The 560 is manual only but the 565 is ettl. There is a 568 just came out that works in hss.

User_Removed
3 Sep 2012 - 8:48 PM

The Yongnuo 568EX does look impressive if you want a full-feature clone of the Canon or Nikon top-of-the-range equivalents at about one-third of the price.

However, as I use manual virtually all of the time, the 560 does me fine.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 9:34 PM

I'm full manual now - just a control freak Wink

high Speed Synch would be nice - the wedding on Saturday was incredibly sunny.... and was shooting at F14 with ND grads to keep the sky from burning at 1/200th

The solution's to get a set of Elinchrom Rangers.... they're more powerful than the sun!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.