Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacing my kit lens on a Nikon D5000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MissPea
    MissPea  7 United Kingdom
    11 May 2013 - 7:43 PM

Hi - would appreciate some advice. Want to replace my Nikon D5000 kit lens (18 - 55mm) with a superior lens as i dont feel it performs as well as my 70 - 30mm Tamron lens which is so much sharper and clearer. I have a budget of approx £200 - £250 and am a bit of a lens novice so need to be pointed in the right direction. Been looking online and just going round in circles and making no decisions! I'm annoying myself - i just need someone to tell me what to go and buy!!

Thanks - Julia

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 May 2013 - 7:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tramster
    Tramster  4 United Kingdom
    11 May 2013 - 8:45 PM

You have a few options.
    1> Trade in your kit lens and increase your budget. Then go for a 18 - 200 or 270 mm lens
    2> Keep your kit lens and buy a 70 - 300mm unless your priority wide angle. Either way used lens might be an option.

Good luck with search

Regards John at Tramster

MissPea
    11 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Thanks John - what makes should i consider and does the fact my kit lens (a nikkor), and the fact i am not happy with it, mean that other Nikkor lenses of that range will be just as disappointing to me or do they vary in quality depending on cost?

ste_p0270
    ste_p0270  257 forum posts England
    11 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Quote: Thanks John - what makes should i consider and does the fact my kit lens (a nikkor), and the fact i am not happy with it, mean that other Nikkor lenses of that range will be just as disappointing to me or do they vary in quality depending on cost?

i've got the 35mm f/1.8 and the 18-105mm VR which i use with my D5100, not world class lenses, but are suitable for my needs
    without breaking the bank Smile

at the end of the day, you need to decide which type of lens (prime / zoom etc) that would suit you best.

have a look at the reviews section, there's plenty of information to digest.

Ste

thewilliam
    11 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

For what it costs, the kit lens is a pretty good performer.

You need to decide whether you want the wide aperture of prime lenses or the flexibility and convenience of a zoom. Look at the metadata for you favourite images and you'll have a good idea what focal length and aperture will suit you best.

JohnParminter
    12 May 2013 - 6:44 AM

Look for the cheapest Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens Nikon Fit, or a second-hand pristine one.

Lynx08
    Lynx08 e2 Member 61209 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
    12 May 2013 - 9:22 AM

I think you need to decide what you want the lens for, you'll then be able to decide on a zoom or a prime. Why don't you go to a camera shop such as LCE and talk to them? If you decide to trade in your Nikon they would take it off your hands.

IPDOUGLAS
    IPDOUGLAS  3
    12 May 2013 - 4:16 PM

MissPea, if you haven't already made your decision then consider the Nikon 16-85mm VR which has reviewed and tested well. The Nikon 18-200mm VR (secondhand but make sure has 'gold' VR symbol for VR II) is very well respected but larger and heavier on one hand and overlaps your 70-300mm Tamron.
    I am pleased you have great results with your Tamron as I also have this lens and it really is first-class!

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123785 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2013 - 7:10 PM

A vote from me for the excellent AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR. I see that Ffordes have an ex demo model for £179.99 inc hood.

MissPea
    13 May 2013 - 8:22 PM

Thanks all and to you Peter! Had a read about the one you've mentioned and lots of positive comments - i am assuming it will 1) fit my D5000 and 2) be sharper / crisper than the kit lens i got with the camera?
    Cheers - Julia

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123785 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

It will fit your D5000 and in my experience it was/is a better lens than the 18-55 kit lens which for the money wasn't bad.

Peter

ste_p0270
    ste_p0270  257 forum posts England
    13 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

as per Pete's comment... the 18-105 is a DX lens so will fit your D5000 fine.

it gives almost double the "zoom" of the kit lens, but will probably be a little softer towards the longer focal length.
    have a look here for reasonably priced s/h lenses.

Ste

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.