Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacing Outlook

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 1:44 PM

I'm considering upgrading to Office 2010 but can't justify the cost of the Business licence, so will probably end up without MS Outlook. We've been pretty heavy users of Outlook for years so I don't want to jump until I know the best way to fulfil our needs. So here is what we need:

- Email with multiple accounts and multiple addresses within accounts
- Calendar with offline viewing
- Calendar and contacts sync with iPhone(s), preferably direct from the machine not via an intermediate account

I think Mozilla Thunderbird could give us what we need for the email but am less sure about the calendar.

So what can you recommend?

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Nov 2011 - 1:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 1:51 PM

Ian for the Office, have you looked at Open Office it's free and fully MS compatible. As for outlook I'm not sure. TBH it takes some beating, it's far better than it was 5 years ago, I would be tempted to upgrade Outlook but look at Open office for the rest. ( it has Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access alternatives).

digicammad
25 Nov 2011 - 2:00 PM

Interesting idea Nick. How compatible is it and how similar to MS Office in use?

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 2:07 PM

I have it on the laptop and have t seen any compatibility issues (well, in PowerPoint I've seen a couple of font miss matches but nothing serious, probably just need to download the relative fonts - tends to match to nearest one).

You will have to change default file formatt ( no big deal) as it defaults to open offices proprietary extensions.

Open office is now used by a lot of major organisations. If nothing else it's worth downloading and giving it a trial.

digicammad
25 Nov 2011 - 2:41 PM

Cheers, downloading now.

Nick_w
25 Nov 2011 - 2:42 PM

It will take a while Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 2:58 PM

open office is what we all use too. It's brilliant...seems to do everything Microsoft does. Just remember to save to Microsoft file types if sharing as it has its own file names that can fool Microsoft. And then Thunderbird will look after email well.

Last Modified By Pete at 25 Nov 2011 - 2:58 PM
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 3:05 PM

Ian, I think you can use Google Calendar offline if you're on Chrome. I believe they are working towards offline on other browsers as well (I use Firefox). We've been using Open Office for over a year without any major problems.

digicammad
25 Nov 2011 - 3:07 PM

Thanks folks. If I am using Open Office I will probably stump up the cash to upgrade Outlook.

There does seem to be an offline version of Google Calendar but information is a bit sketchy, I think it may be in beta at the moment. I must admit I like how easy it is to sync Outlook with my iPhone and I would want any replacement to be as easy.

Last Modified By digicammad at 25 Nov 2011 - 3:09 PM
jonp
jonp e2 Member 10jonp vcard England
25 Nov 2011 - 5:22 PM

It would probably be better for you to look at Libre Office....

Open Office is now effectivly dead - when Oracle took over Sun they caused so many problems amongst the developer community that the great majority of them left the project and just forked the product to Libre Office. (That's the thing with this sort of software, you can walk away and start your own version using the same source code).

Moving forwards it's likely that only Libre Office will be being updated properly.

Jon

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2011 - 5:43 PM

Now that I didn't know :-(

sitan1
sitan1  6472 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Nov 2011 - 9:13 PM

If you have children in full time education you can get office 2010 for under 40 squids
software4students

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2011 - 8:20 PM

I've used Thunderbird for mail for a few years at home and work with no issues. Some of us at the office need to juggle many different email accounts (about a dozen for me) and it handles all that well with a good search facility and ability to set up automated rules if you need that.

I've just moved over to Libre Office from Open Office a few weeks back too - all seems to be working well so far.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
27 Nov 2011 - 12:22 AM

You can add the Lightning extension to Thunderbird which gives you a calendar.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2011 - 5:13 PM

Following previous threads like this on here I installed Open Office on a couple of PCs at home.
Got to say, I was completely underwhelmed with it and after 6 months just uninstalled it and got MS Office instead.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.