Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Replacing the kit lens...

When it is time to replace the Canon kit lens with something better but cannot afford the 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, which is the best option of the following : Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS or the Sigma 17-70mm f2-8-f4 and why?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2013 8:58PM
I haven't tried the Sigmas, but I have tried the Tamron non-VC version and think it is an excellent lens pretty damned close to the Canon in image quality.
c40uk e2
1 82 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2013 9:32PM
tamron vc version , not tested it till the weekend so cant comment yet Grin
llareggub e2
4 758 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2013 10:00PM
Tamron non VC was my choice, I never used is on my kit kens so had no qualms with not spending more for a lens with it on my upgrade. Images are great, focus is crisp and accurate and build quality is a massive step up, overall I am mahoosively impressed with it Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
12 Jun 2013 10:05PM
I started a similar thread a couple of days ago and having done some investigations have decided upon the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non VC.
I think I should have mentioned that I usually do a lot of car-to-car tracking photography and so VC/IS would be of some use to me. Having said that, fact is that I've been using the non-IS version of the kit lens for all my tracking shots (backed by some post processing) till date. IMHO, IS/VC would allow me more keepers and also let me use shutter speeds a bit more creatively....

Interesting though that everybody seems to be suggesting the Tamron over the Sigma...
ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2013 10:17AM
Have you seen the newly announced [price] of the Sigma 18-35 f1.8? Don't think it has OS and perhaps its range wouldn't be quite long enough for you, but at $799 launch [possibly about 650 in the UK with VAT?] it turns a crop sensor camera into something with the same DoF limitation and light gathering as a 35mm with a constant f2.8.

Unless there are significant quality issues with the lens [and I'd doubt it] I'd go so far as to say this makes all those other fast standard zooms for APSc almost obsolete [the one caveat being the relatively short range].

Almost makes me wish I hadn't made up my mind to have 35mm and m4/3 rather than 35 and APSc in future. But Sigma are going to do an equivalent for m4/3 right [pretty please?]?

In any case it's a while since I've been gobsmacked by the price of a new lens for the right reasons. Canon have been making me gasp recently in more predictable ways.
DOGSBODY e2
6 1.4k 30 England
14 Jun 2013 10:44AM
The Sigma 17-70 is an excellent lens but you will find it to be more bulky and heavier than the Canon kit lens.
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
14 Jun 2013 11:03AM
Oh, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, it's not bulky or heavy at all. Yes, slight heavier and longer than the kit lens, but not much. Well, I didn't think it was, anyway. I happily used it as my travel lens until I decided to get a super zoom. Very nice shots with excellent clarity and sharpness, I could hardly fault it.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
14 Jun 2013 6:22PM
have you thought about the canon 24/105 F/4 L IS ? a very good lens Wink
@Colin Beeley: I've used it on a 5D and it is a cracker of a lens...but on the 1100D it would become a 38-168mm and I need the wide-angle end more than the tele end...
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
15 Jun 2013 11:34AM
OK - you asked a specific question and suggested limited alternatives - and folk have answered what you asked.

But really - why not take a slightly different approach. What is it that your current lens cannot do, that you need or want to do?

It is really only by answering that question that you can decide what additional lens(es) to buy.

For example, one of our camera club members asked a very similar question. She had an excellent 18-55mm kit lens but she felt it let her down in a couple of respects - low light street scenes and decent bokeh on head and shoulders portraits. She was thinking of buying a very expensive 17-55mm f/2.8 to replace her kit lens when, in fact, her needs could be met much more cheaply by augmenting it with a 50mm f/1.8 prime.
Hi Gundog! I believe I do happen to know what my non-IS kit lens can do and what I need it to do. FYI, my kit lens is on its 9th year of pretty hard use and can hardly be termed optically and mechanically perfect anymore. I'm not sure how many people there are out here who keep using a lens for 9 years but I'm pretty sure I've extracted full value from it over those years.

To put it simply, I need new glass...Yes, opting for a new kit lens with IS would be a cheap upgrade but I would like to keep my options open and go for better quality glass if I can...
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
15 Jun 2013 2:11PM
well if you want the wide end go for the canon efs 10/22 it's a great lens i used to own one , if i could i would still have it now.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.