Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Replacing the kit lens...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mad abt cars & gals

When it is time to replace the Canon kit lens with something better but cannot afford the 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, which is the best option of the following : Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS or the Sigma 17-70mm f2-8-f4 and why?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jun 2013 - 8:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 8:58 PM

I haven't tried the Sigmas, but I have tried the Tamron non-VC version and think it is an excellent lens pretty damned close to the Canon in image quality.

c40uk
    c40uk  182 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jun 2013 - 9:32 PM

tamron vc version , not tested it till the weekend so cant comment yet Grin

llareggub
    llareggub  4727 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jun 2013 - 10:00 PM

Tamron non VC was my choice, I never used is on my kit kens so had no qualms with not spending more for a lens with it on my upgrade. Images are great, focus is crisp and accurate and build quality is a massive step up, overall I am mahoosively impressed with it Smile

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64539 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 10:05 PM

I started a similar thread a couple of days ago and having done some investigations have decided upon the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non VC.

mad abt cars & gals

I think I should have mentioned that I usually do a lot of car-to-car tracking photography and so VC/IS would be of some use to me. Having said that, fact is that I've been using the non-IS version of the kit lens for all my tracking shots (backed by some post processing) till date. IMHO, IS/VC would allow me more keepers and also let me use shutter speeds a bit more creatively....

Interesting though that everybody seems to be suggesting the Tamron over the Sigma...

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7822 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2013 - 10:17 AM

Have you seen the newly announced [price] of the Sigma 18-35 f1.8? Don't think it has OS and perhaps its range wouldn't be quite long enough for you, but at $799 launch [possibly about 650 in the UK with VAT?] it turns a crop sensor camera into something with the same DoF limitation and light gathering as a 35mm with a constant f2.8.

Unless there are significant quality issues with the lens [and I'd doubt it] I'd go so far as to say this makes all those other fast standard zooms for APSc almost obsolete [the one caveat being the relatively short range].

Almost makes me wish I hadn't made up my mind to have 35mm and m4/3 rather than 35 and APSc in future. But Sigma are going to do an equivalent for m4/3 right [pretty please?]?

In any case it's a while since I've been gobsmacked by the price of a new lens for the right reasons. Canon have been making me gasp recently in more predictable ways.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 14 Jun 2013 - 10:19 AM
    DOGSBODY
    DOGSBODY  61432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2013 - 10:44 AM

The Sigma 17-70 is an excellent lens but you will find it to be more bulky and heavier than the Canon kit lens.

conrad
    conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oh, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, it's not bulky or heavy at all. Yes, slight heavier and longer than the kit lens, but not much. Well, I didn't think it was, anyway. I happily used it as my travel lens until I decided to get a super zoom. Very nice shots with excellent clarity and sharpness, I could hardly fault it.

Last Modified By conrad at 14 Jun 2013 - 11:04 AM
    colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111072 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2013 - 6:22 PM

have you thought about the canon 24/105 F/4 L IS ? a very good lens Wink

mad abt cars & gals

@Colin Beeley: I've used it on a 5D and it is a cracker of a lens...but on the 1100D it would become a 38-168mm and I need the wide-angle end more than the tele end...

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    15 Jun 2013 - 11:34 AM

OK - you asked a specific question and suggested limited alternatives - and folk have answered what you asked.

But really - why not take a slightly different approach. What is it that your current lens cannot do, that you need or want to do?

It is really only by answering that question that you can decide what additional lens(es) to buy.

For example, one of our camera club members asked a very similar question. She had an excellent 18-55mm kit lens but she felt it let her down in a couple of respects - low light street scenes and decent bokeh on head and shoulders portraits. She was thinking of buying a very expensive 17-55mm f/2.8 to replace her kit lens when, in fact, her needs could be met much more cheaply by augmenting it with a 50mm f/1.8 prime.

mad abt cars & gals

Hi Gundog! I believe I do happen to know what my non-IS kit lens can do and what I need it to do. FYI, my kit lens is on its 9th year of pretty hard use and can hardly be termed optically and mechanically perfect anymore. I'm not sure how many people there are out here who keep using a lens for 9 years but I'm pretty sure I've extracted full value from it over those years.

To put it simply, I need new glass...Yes, opting for a new kit lens with IS would be a cheap upgrade but I would like to keep my options open and go for better quality glass if I can...

Last Modified By mad abt cars & gals at 15 Jun 2013 - 12:19 PM
    colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111072 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jun 2013 - 2:11 PM

well if you want the wide end go for the canon efs 10/22 it's a great lens i used to own one , if i could i would still have it now.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.