Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Report e-mail scams, National Fraud Authority urges

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MrGoatsmilk
    26 Feb 2011 - 11:49 AM

BBC article link

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Feb 2011 - 11:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

looboss
    looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Feb 2011 - 3:47 PM

It's the something for nothing greed factor that kicks in and that is why people fall for these scams,
    you don't get something for nothing SIMPLES!

MrGoatsmilk
    26 Feb 2011 - 4:00 PM

Not all scams work on the need for people being greedy.

Some appear to be a genuine product or service that someone wants or needs and is happy to pay for.

looboss
    looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Feb 2011 - 4:04 PM

there is always an enticer to reel people in, otherwise it is hardly unlikely that people change their shopping habits or usual vendors...

MikeA
    MikeA  91166 forum posts England
    26 Feb 2011 - 10:10 PM

Ok if you have half an hour or more to report a scam, they don't tell you that in the publicity blurb. Good idea, poor execution.

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    27 Feb 2011 - 8:06 AM

Quote: Ok if you have half an hour or more to report a scam, they don't tell you that in the publicity blurb. Good idea, poor execution.

Why half an hour? I read it to be as simple as forwarding the suspect email. Have I missed something?

MikeA
    MikeA  91166 forum posts England
    27 Feb 2011 - 10:19 AM

Quote: Welcome to the Action Fraud reporting form
    Making a fraud report

The form will take you through a series of questions about the incident you are reporting, including questions about the suspect. Any mandatory fields are marked with this symbol required

You will normally need around 20 to 30 minutes to complete the form. Once you have started the form you will need to complete it in one session, so before you begin, please make sure you have any relevant information to hand. For example names, dates, information about the suspect, and details of how any money was lost. Please note that you will be timed out of the form and will have to start from the beginning if your computer is left idle for more than 60 minutes.

Quote: [b]Why half an hour? I read it to be as simple as forwarding the suspect email. Have I missed something?[/b]

I guess you must have Tongue

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    27 Feb 2011 - 11:36 AM

The form to which you refer seems to be for reporting an actual fraud while the OP's linked BBC article highlights a new service by which one can simply forward scam emails.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.