Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Reproducing Monitor image

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MichaelTuska
    15 Jan 2013 - 10:47 PM

I am using an Apple iMac computer and my images look clean sharp and correct for colour.
    I use a Canon printers inc, 5300 and 9500Mk2 pro

ref colour and brightness; how can I get nearer the image on the Mac screen? Don't get me wrong, the printed images look ok but,look better on screen.
    MT

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jan 2013 - 10:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi what device do you use to calibrate your Mac. while it may look good to your eyes if the Mac is making the images over punchy in its display driver/settings then they will not look as good printed. So my advice is get yourself a decent screen calibration device and that may well make your images look not so good, but when you edit them to make them look good they should print better.

capto
    capto e2 Member 2662 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 11:18 PM

If you spend lots of time and cash on monitor calibration and printer profiles you may get a little nearer to the holy grail of printing by matching what you see on the monitor, but you will never match it. Some people set the monitor to match their prints, makes them feel better I guess. If your prints are OK, you can settle for that or endlessly chase the unattainable and be frustrated. It is accepted that ink and paper cannot replicate the colours that a quality monitor can.

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 11:49 PM

I found a 60 device got me very close and it helped in that prints I sent off to outside printing came back better. Also with many paper providers you can get free profiles made. Each person picks their own point of enough is enough. Is that new lens worth it, or new camera body etc etc. Without seeing the prints it is hard to tell.

User_Removed
    15 Jan 2013 - 11:53 PM

I think you're always going to have a problem if you have a glossy reflective screen. It can make images with quite poor contrast look nice and punchy. The printed paper (and other people's monitors) will tell a different story. Get a regular non-reflective screen then adjust your images so they look really good on that then try printing.

Stillbase
    Stillbase e2 Member 253 forum postsStillbase vcard Wales
    16 Jan 2013 - 9:08 AM

Other than the colour management problem, I'm sure I read somewhere that another difference between a monitor and a print has something to do with the fact that monitors are backlit with a constant source of light, whereas prints are reflectively lit where the intensity varies?

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 9:51 AM

Prints are reflective and monitors are emissive, so yes, it is tough to get one looking like another. In Photoshop CS and Lightroom 4 you can hit 'simulate buttons' to effectively reduce the dynamic range of the screen image so that it better matches the final result.

User_Removed
    16 Jan 2013 - 10:42 AM

Not sure if it works with the Mac but it does for proper PCs:

The Color Munki allows you to produce an ICC profile for each printer/paper/ink combination so that what prints exactly matches your monitor image.

JoanH
    JoanH  7300 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Jan 2013 - 12:24 PM

I found all the comments very helpful. I have been disappointed with my prints on my new Pixma MG5350S. There is a calbrater at PHoto Group so think I should try that I have a dialogue with Canon ongoing at moment. It seems the greens a the biggest problem, they are dull. Hope it can be sorted soon Thanks Joan

justin c
    justin c  104505 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2013 - 7:07 PM

Quote: It seems the greens a the biggest problem, they are dull

Dull greens could possibly be due to a less than ideal icc profile for your paper type, it's worth having a custom profile made if you haven't done so already. They're not expensive these days and you should be able to get one done for around 15.
    Or, it might be the paper type that you're using. Some papers reproduce the subtle green and brown tones better than others.

Last Modified By justin c at 21 Jan 2013 - 7:08 PM
    JoanH
    22 Jan 2013 - 4:14 PM

Thanks justinc No haven't done that. No idea how to go about it. I have been mostly using Canon paper. Any help would be appreciated thanks Joan

justin c
    22 Jan 2013 - 4:54 PM

The Canon paper is certainly a good starting point, particularly the Photo Paper Plus Gloss, or Semi-Gloss. Be sure to check Canon's website for a generic icc profile for your exact printer model and specific paper type, if you don't have one already. The next stage would be to view a soft-proofed version of your image and make any necessary adjustments, assuming the software you're using allows this. It's a fairly long and complex subject and there are many excellent articles on the web that will explain the procedure far better than I could. Try a search on Google or YouTube for some excellent video tutorials on the subject. Once you've followed those steps, you should hopefully be getting pretty good results. If you then wanted to take things to the next level, then, a custom icc profile would be beneficial. Pure Profiles would be as good as anyone to take care of that side of things.
    Good luck.

JoanH
    23 Jan 2013 - 3:54 PM

Thank you Justin I will try to follow all your suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to help an'old wrinkly. JoanH

justin c
    23 Jan 2013 - 4:59 PM

You're welcome. I hope you manage to resolve the issue Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.