Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Request to publish my kids' work - then sell it back to them :(

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2008 - 9:04 PM

I just got a letter which originated from a third-party publishing company sent home from my kids' primary school. They said some pictures my kids had drawn had won a competition and would be published in a book (with our permission).

My kids were really hyped up over it but when I looked closer it seems the company regularly do this kind of competition and it looks to me like they simply publish books full of kids' pictures and charge 14 a go for copies, which the kids obviously want lots of for relatives, etc. because their work is in the book.

I'm handling it carefully but I object to my kids being subjected to this kind of emotional sales hook so young. They were offered no fee for the work and no free copies of the publication, which I'd imagine an adult would be offered at minimum.

I'd just be interested if anyone else has seen similar stuff going on at their school or otherwise.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Dec 2008 - 9:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mr g
    mr g  10403 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2008 - 9:42 PM

This is a common technique used by publisher - it started off with poetry competitions " Your fabulous poem has won our competition and will be published!" - Oh, it will cost you 9 to buy the book.

We no longer take part in any of these schemes and the children themselves often see it as a 'rip off' and the fact they they haven't won at all, but have been taken advantage of.
    Rob

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139496 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2008 - 10:06 PM

Treat it as your kids' first lesson in life about rip offs! Wink

newfocus
    17 Dec 2008 - 10:13 PM

Yep - that's what I figured. My oldest daughter was surprisingly grown up about it. She wants to see her picture in print but she can see that publishing it without giving her anything in return, then charging her money for copies of the book isn't 'fair'. All in all I think you're right - I should thank them for a valuable early lesson Smile

bill777
    bill777 e2 Member 11163 forum postsbill777 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Dec 2008 - 9:11 AM

Yes, it can be a problem. I had exactly the same trouble with pictures in a certain photographic book at ePhot.... whoops!! Wink

Bill

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    18 Dec 2008 - 10:04 AM

Quote: Yes, it can be a problem. I had exactly the same trouble with pictures in a certain photographic book at ePhot.... whoops!!

Bill

What? You mean the togs never got paid for their shots? Wink
    Seriously though, I think some of these books/mags etc appeal to people's vanity, people will willingly pay to have their work featured. They can then say they are a "published" photographer! Wink They don't mention that not only didn't they get paid for their work, but they paid to have in included. Most seem happy to do that, and the publisher is even happier! On the subject of "published" photographers, we have a pro tog near us that advertises himself as "an award winning photographer", and when I looked to see whaat he had actually won, it was the first round of a competition of some sort. Him and hundreds of others, I imagine, but technically he had won an award, and I don't suppose many will ever check to see what award.

simont
    simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Dec 2008 - 11:38 AM

I seem to recall Pete sending out similar e-mails when he was publishing "The Book"!

Smile

Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Dec 2008 - 6:45 PM

Someone I know has just received a similar letter, but for a poem. Entered by the school.

Do the schools get a cut in all of this? What benefit is it to them? Or do they not realise what it is?

Overread
    Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Dec 2008 - 6:56 PM

Schools will either get a cut or - again - the the abilty to boast.
    "Students work published"
    which - at least if the school is private - is something that can only attract potential parents to the school
    If its not that they might get some deal like a little off on their orders from the book company or some such. They might not benefit at all and just not see a downside to it for them (since its not them doing any of the selling or publishing - they don't lose out on anything)

newfocus
    20 Dec 2008 - 11:55 AM

Sadly, the techniques of psychologically manipulating kids in order to sell to parents is are well understood in the marketing industry (Google "nag factor" or "pester power" if you want some evidence).

I'd have expected schools in this day and age to be well briefed on this kind of tactic and filter what gets passed on to the kids accordingly though (especially to year 1 kids) but maybe that's asking too much.

Last Modified By newfocus at 20 Dec 2008 - 11:56 AM
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139496 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2008 - 11:56 AM

Quote: Sadly, the techniques of psychologically manipulating kids in order to sell to parents is are well understood in the marketing industry

Particularly noticeable at Christmas time! Wink

User_Removed
    20 Dec 2008 - 12:30 PM

My daughter had a poem published via the school but we got free copies of the book, about 5 I think. Then we could buy more if we wanted. Her's was in the summer too.

newfocus
    20 Dec 2008 - 1:13 PM

That sounds far more reasonable. I did ask if in this case the kids could have just a single free copy each but the publisher refused.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.