Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Require help for Outlook Express

dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 140 England
8 May 2006 2:35AM
I have just installed a network router for wireless broadband. Set up went fine, and I can connect to the internet fine (as I can access epz, so, great).

Previously I was able to send and receive emails using Outlook Express (bt broadband).

However, since installing the router (Belkin) Outlook Express no longer finds my emails.

I have tried changing settings in Outlook Express, but to no avail. Yes, I can still read emails by logging on to my email accounts online, but don't necessarily want to tdo that.

Can anyone give me any pointers to what settings to try as I'm sure it's a case of a simple change of a setting.

Keith.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wotashot 10 2.2k
8 May 2006 2:44AM
Did you change anything else at the same time?

New package? New ISP? anything that could be related? Are you trying to access it on the wireless device or through a wired desktop machine?

If you can access the net fine and you don't need any passwords or security codes then just check you have the correct POP and SMTP addreses in outlook,

Jamie
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
8 May 2006 2:49AM
Just a thought.
If the router has a built in firewall it could be trying to use a port that is blocked by the firewall.

I'm sure it will be something simple when you find it.

Doug ;o)
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 140 England
8 May 2006 2:52AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Jamie
No new package or ISP. The machine is connected through the network cable. The laptop will be wireless connected but haven't set that up yet.

I'll check the POP and STMP though.

Doug,
Yes it has a built in firewall. Any guidance on how to 'unblock'?

Keith
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
8 May 2006 3:42AM
Check your internet connection settings. It may be set to dial the BT number, whereas with a permanently on router, you should tell it to use LAN.
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 140 England
8 May 2006 3:51AM
OK Bri, I'll give that a try.

Wierd thing is, it allowed me to send one.

Keith
simont 10 2.2k 4 England
8 May 2006 3:54AM
But did the recipient receive it?
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 140 England
8 May 2006 3:58AM
Yes, it was to my work email address, which I logged onto remotely.
wotashot 10 2.2k
8 May 2006 4:04AM
What make and model is the router. I use a netgear one that has an inbuilt firewall and it works fine with BT.

If it allows you to send but not recieve its your Incoming mail server thats wrong (pop)

If it allows you to recieve but not send its your SMTP server thats wrong.

Alternatively it could be neither of these and could be the firewall blocking ports as suggested above.

Trial and error is a good way of working it out but just make sure you have the original serrings jotted down on paper,

Jamie
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 140 England
8 May 2006 4:26AM
Jamie,

It's a Belkin ADSL modem with High speed mode Wireless
G Router, 125 Mbps starter kit.

I've just looked over the help pages on BT and all the settings seem correct.

Of course, there may be server problems, so something else to check out.

thanks again,

Keith

Edit: One message got through, another didn't, two other sub accounts recieved ok (though there were no messages there at this time, as I use those less anyway).

Edit number 2
A message sitting in my account on the BT server from earlier this morning has now arrived in my Outlook Express inbox. I haven't clicked on the send/recieve buton, so it looks as though it has come through as per normal.
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 140 England
8 May 2006 4:47AM
UPDATE:

Just sent an email to myself from my work email (remotely) and it came through in 10 seconds or so.

The send/receive whizzes through now, with no errors.

Thanks to everyone who replied, it looks like there must have been a problem with the BT end.

It really is ironic, that the time I decide to make changes to my set up, problems occur elsewhere. I must admit I was at a loss to see where I had gone wrong.
While not wanting to praise or slag off any ISP, I must say I've never really had a problem with my internet connection, hence my concern and posting here (always sure of getting questions answered!)

So, fingers crossed, it all looks ok now.

One message had a link to the new Shakira video, so there's always a silver lining lol!

Keith

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.