Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rescue Remedy for Bees (and butterflies)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6684 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:16 PM

Was reading an article yesterday morning about bees and it said that if you find one crawling on the floor it is likely to be suffering from exhaustion. It suggests mixing 2 parts white sugar to 1 part water and placing it in an egg cup near flowers in the garden.

By coincidence there was a butterfly in the conservatory which had been there all night and wasn't moving. I relocated it to the garden, where it didn't move for over an hour despite heavy rain.

I mixed up the suggested sugar solution and put a few drops on the leaf in front of the butterfly, which immediately starting drinking it and was back on the wing within minutes.

There was a warning not to use brown sugar, which doesn't agree with the bees' digestive system, or honey which may contain viruses.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Aug 2009 - 12:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:21 PM

Interesting, I'll have to try that.

We have had a butterfly on our window ledge for over 2 years now. Wonder if it will work on that. Smile

Ian

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:23 PM

That's incredible. thanks for sharing. I'll give it a go.

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:28 PM

Quote: We have had a butterfly on our window ledge for over 2 years now. Wonder if it will work on that

Are you related to Pike (from Dads army by any chance) Ian as I want to say

You stupid boy!

Smile

digicammad
13 Aug 2009 - 12:31 PM

Quote: Are you related to Pike (from Dads army by any chance) Ian as I want to say

You stupid boy!

Nope but you should be careful in case I'm related to the Kray twins. Wink

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:39 PM

Am I missing something here - there are people who will feed insects back to health?

Why?

Last Modified By stolzy at 13 Aug 2009 - 12:52 PM
digicammad
13 Aug 2009 - 12:41 PM

Why not? Certainly for bees and butterflies, very useful things and both suffering at the moment.

Bees are disappearing at an alarming rate and as they are responsible for pollenating a significant percentage of our food crops that is bad news for us as well as them.

Ian

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95962 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:47 PM

I guess I'd better buy some sugar then just in case!

keith selmes
13 Aug 2009 - 12:51 PM

Quote: there are people who will feed insects bad to health?

Why?

all part of being human Smile

Last Modified By keith selmes at 13 Aug 2009 - 12:52 PM
stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:53 PM

Quote: Why not? Certainly for bees and butterflies, very useful things and both suffering at the moment.

All true no doubt, but is nursing individual bees really likey to contribute to a solution?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:58 PM

Quote: All true no doubt, but is nursing individual bees really likey to contribute to a solution?

Just like "is not throwing litter down really going to make a difference?" Probably not, but it's not going to do any harm...and I'll feel better if I've helped.

Quote: Same reason I always free bees etc from the house - not much effort required and a live bee is a good bee.....

Me too

Last Modified By Pete at 13 Aug 2009 - 12:59 PM
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95962 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 12:59 PM

We don't know whether our actions towards one bee would make a jot of difference but for so little effort it's worth doing? Same reason I always free bees etc from the house - not much effort required and a live bee is a good bee.....

MattGrayson
13 Aug 2009 - 12:59 PM

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Smile

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2009 - 1:16 PM

Is Pete still printing that on your wage slips?
Smile

MattGrayson
13 Aug 2009 - 1:20 PM

lol...Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.