Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Researching a Wildlife System

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
MeanGreeny
21 Jan 2011 - 11:21 AM

A few years ago I was in the same position. As usual, Google was my friend and I read all that there was to read.

Lots of pros and cons but the one deciding factor where one [400/5.6] totally outshone the other [300/f+converter] was AF speed - particularly when capturing birds in flight. If that's important to you then go with the 400. If not, then buy the cheaper of the two as long as it fits in with your long term plans since you are also buying into a system - not just buying a single lens.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2011 - 11:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2011 - 8:30 PM

Is the Canon 40D compatible with UDMA certified memory cards such as the Sandisk 8GB Extreme?

Last Modified By StrayCat at 24 Jan 2011 - 8:31 PM
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2011 - 10:18 PM

Quote: Is the Canon 40D compatible with UDMA certified memory cards such as the Sandisk 8GB Extreme?

It is OK with the 4G extreme III cards. The manual just states Type 1 and type 2 cards. I am pretty certain it will work with them but I doubt it will hit the highest data rate for saving to the card. For me the 17 shot buffer is more than big enough, but it may not be for everyone.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2011 - 1:11 AM

Thanks John.

Alan_Coles
7 Feb 2011 - 10:43 AM

I have a 400mm L f5.6 and owned the 300mm F4 IS prior to that (I have the Kenko Pro Convertor 1.4x too) and both are great lens and will serve you well whichever you choose.

I noticed this morning developement of a new Canon lens which looks like it could be a winner Canon 200-400mm IS with1.4x Ext built in!

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2011 - 11:50 AM

Aye that new 200-400mm sounds like a dream (actually I thought people were joking when they first started talking about it!) Cost though - cost will be the biggest factor. I expect (after canons high release price) that it will be at or more than the nikon version (the 1.4TC built in might let them get away with a higher cost)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.