Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Resizing Images to Low res so cannot print them?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Spycat
    Spycat  5 United Kingdom
    19 Oct 2009 - 9:35 PM

Hi, I want to give my clients a proof CD of low res watermarked prints so they can choose the ones they want to buy without being able to print from the proof CD. What rsolution do they need to be so they can view them on acomputer screen but cannot print them as quality would be too poor? PPI? DPI? I'm hopeless with all this!! Also anyone know of any good, cheap/free watermark software out there?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Oct 2009 - 9:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2009 - 9:39 PM

dont know about the resolution but you can watermark pics easily in shop using the type tool

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2009 - 10:04 PM

600pixels on the longest side would be large enough to select shots from a computer screen. Heck 400 on the longest is not too bad. Don't worry about the PPI/DPI bit and just focus on the number of pixels on the longest side - that is all you need worry about.

That should limit them to postcard size or smaller if they try to print and the watermark *whilst removable to a pro with photoshop* will deterr most people and also prevent them using any proper printing labs as well. Further make sure that whilst your watermarking your not covering so much of the shot that the person cannot view it with ease. If they can't see what they are looking at they can't choose

Jestertheclown
    19 Oct 2009 - 10:35 PM

Try 'FastStone'.
    It's a free download and can be used to resize and watermark your images in one click using their batch processing option. It's dead easy but the option's a bit hidden in the 'Tools' menu though once you''ve found it, it will do all you need.
    If you get stuck, PM me, I'll talk you through it!
    Jester.

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2009 - 2:17 AM

marking me book

contemporary dave
    21 Oct 2009 - 11:45 AM

I personally resize images to 550 pixels on the longest side @ 72ppi.

As for watermarking, I have an action set up to do this - which I set up from this tutorial shown here

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2009 - 3:01 PM

It would surprise you how low quality people will accept sometimes if they get them for free!

I found one of my MX pics, (taken from a 600pixel wide, watermarked right through the middle website image) printed on a box trailer, approx 4 ft wide!! - just imagine the quality of that Sad didn't do a lot for my reputation!!, if they had asked I would have given them the full rez image to use.

I also found some local scenery (again taken from web @ 600pix.) shots of mine on calendars & posters on sale in a local store, unbelieveably some people had bought them!

Joe B

markallion
    13 Jul 2013 - 10:45 AM

I am anamateur Photographer. I enjoy my work and love to deliver the best. I always love to learn new things. I have faced problemsrecently several times with low resolutionimages. I need to make posters for my clients but sometimes the provided pictures from my clients are low resolutionimages. But thanks to God I found solution for this problem. I goggledwith the help one of my friends who is also a new graphics designer and found software which allows accurate, high quality and realistic enlargements at any zoom factor. It is named Reshade image resizing tools. Easy to use automatic settings make Reshade the perfect choice for beginners. Advanced controls are available for professional users. Anybody can solve this type of low image resolution problem solution from Photo enlargement software. Hope this will be helpful. Thanks. ---Mark

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2013 - 11:37 AM

No offence meant Mark, honestly, but the point of this (zombie) thread is not to provide a way for people to make good quality images from low rez pics, it's to help reduce rez or watermark so they are less useable by people who wish to make unauthorized use of them. maybe a separate thread with this info/advert (or an advertisement for the software) aimed at people looking to increase quality of low rez image would be the way to go.

Just my 2p

Joe B

Last Modified By snapbandit at 13 Jul 2013 - 11:39 AM
    thewilliam
    13 Jul 2013 - 1:14 PM

Never forget what modern software can do with a lo-res watermarked image. Did Adobe include "content aware fill" so that watermarks could easily be removed?

A dishonest customer will steal, whatever you do!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.