Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Resizing in Lightroom 3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cheddar-caveman

Am I right in thinking that the only time you can re size a picture in Lightroom 3 is when you export it, you cant do it in Develop so that you can see the result as you do it! I ask because some websites specify an exact size of an upload. Reading the Lightroom manual it says that if you specify an exact length or height you may alter the aspect ratio which would not look good.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Oct 2012 - 7:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73815 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 7:59 AM

Just crop to the aspect ratio in the develop mode.

But most sites state a max height or width, you just set the one in the relevant box and it automatically works out the other one. For example EPZ is 1000 px on longest edge, so say a landscape set width to 1000 px, the height will then automatically be worked out, in accordance to the aspect ratio your pic is cropped to.

Remember Lightroom is first and foremost a RAW converter. The develop settings don't actually do anything to the RAW but lay on top. It's only when you export that these changes are applied to the resultant file.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 Oct 2012 - 8:05 AM
    JJGEE
    JJGEE  96214 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 8:12 AM

Quote: Just crop to the aspect ratio in the develop mode.

As you say you are setting the aspect ratio in crop not sizing the image.

Say 3:2

Then whatever the unit of measurement you could have 3 x 2, 18 x 12, 3000 x 2000 etc.

So, one of the answers is Yes, do the sizing in the export dialogue box for a file to upload to websites OR if it is for a print then then you choose the size of the paper in the Print Module.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 8:21 AM

when you export in lightroom you can resize there, I do and use 1000px as a standard if i am putting my image on websites such as this one all the rest is worked out by the websites so i wouldn't get to worried about sizing personally.
    I have uploaded images at full size on websites such as this and the only difference i see is i tend to have to wait longer for the upload if i do not resize, that is it as far as i know.

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 3 Oct 2012 - 8:22 AM
    cheddar-caveman

Thanks guys so yes, I am right in thinking that you can only re size during export!

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 7:44 PM

Quote: Thanks guys so yes, I am right in thinking that you can only re size during export!

Yup - which is one of the best features of LR. Your original never gets touched, so you don't end up with a version sized for web, one for the blog, one for a print, etc etc.
    Makes things much more organised.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.