Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Resizing photographs - help!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    IOWAndy
    IOWAndy  5 United Kingdom
    22 Apr 2009 - 9:37 AM

OK seems I have a problem in resizing photographs for posting.

If I resize the shot down to 600 x 600 pixels it seems to reduce the overall size of the shot. Everyone else seems to be able to fill the frame on the photo board and keep it at 600 x 600 yet when I resized my picture it reduced it down to fill the top 1/3rd! I've been using a Corel Programme or Photoshop 7 but they both seem to do the same and I dont understand how to reduce the size so I can post yet keep it filling the frame, as the comments I got back for my first posting were along the lines of good shot but pity it was so small!

So what am I doing wrong?

Frustrated of Isle of Wight

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Apr 2009 - 9:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    22 Apr 2009 - 9:43 AM

You need to set DPI at 72.

SteveCharles
    22 Apr 2009 - 9:43 AM

Have you had a look at this? :

Guide to resizing photos - link

IOWAndy
    22 Apr 2009 - 10:42 AM

Quote: Have you had a look at this? :

Guide to resizing photos - link

Yes - didn't make a lot of sense I'm afraid! Haven't got any of the mentioned programs and Photoshop 7 is a bit overwelming!

Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2009 - 10:57 AM

Resizing in Photoshop should be very simple if you follow the instructions.

However, if you find it difficult try something like fastone Photo Resizer (free)

The 72dpi mentioned above is irrelevant for this purpose and will merely serve to confuse you. The thing to remember is that the only thing that matters is the number of pixels and that the longest edge of your photo should be 600 pixels.

Last Modified By Henchard at 22 Apr 2009 - 10:57 AM
    SteveCharles
    22 Apr 2009 - 11:02 AM

Your image appears to be 600x600 pixels including the white background, as if you've somehow sized the canvas to 600 pixels but not the image. I've no idea how, though.

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2009 - 11:13 AM

Assuming by Corel you mean you're using Paint Shop Pro it should be simply a case of image- resize and then under Pixel Dimensions change the longest side to 600. All the other default settings should be fine.

Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2009 - 1:16 PM

As cattyal says, assuming you're using paintshop pro..

image - resize,

change number of pixels to 600 in the height or width box (depending on landscape or portrait orientation). make sure the "maintain aspect ratio" tickbox is ticked (a little below this to the left.

It should then resize to what you want.

Sounds like your problem is you've been changing the canvas size and not resizing the image

let us know what Corel programme you're using (and what version)

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2009 - 1:48 PM

Its made too over complicated this is what I do for upload in CS2.

1. Edit>convert to profile to sRGB (ensure at this stage theres no colour shift if you are at the borders of the gamut - only applicable if using adobeRGB or similar)
    2. Layer>image Size ensure scale styles, constrain proportions and re-smaple image (bicubic or bicubic sharper if you dont sharpen for upload) all checked - then change the longest side to the upload size limit. e2=1000px, normal EPZ=600 px
    3. Save for web

That way you don't need to think about converting to 72dpi - it does it for you as default. Use quality slider to get into the upload limits (e2=600kb), sorry I cant remember what standard EPZ is.

Once you are happy a tip record it as an action - assign a function key then you just sit back and let PS do the rest.

IOWAndy
    23 Apr 2009 - 9:05 AM

Ahh! Got it ... Thanks to all for the help! My last couple of uploads seemed to have worked well! Think I'm now getting to grips with Corel Paint Shop Pro although using it to touch up images is still a little beyond!

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2009 - 9:37 AM

Glad to hear you've sussed it! You'll find quite a few members use various editions of Paint Shop Pro on here despite the apparent preference for Photoshop - you can always give us a yell of help and we'll merrily lead you up the garden path Smile

chasney
    chasney  10138 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Apr 2009 - 9:41 AM

..i'm yelling Al!
    Smile

cattyal
    23 Apr 2009 - 10:03 AM

la la la la la la la - sorry I can't get my fingers out of my ears Chas Wink

All you have to do is ask and I'll tell you to get knotted!

PS. Everyone else ignore this reply - Chas gets special treatment - I'm nice to everyone else!

Last Modified By cattyal at 23 Apr 2009 - 10:05 AM
    Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2009 - 1:20 PM

Yell to me whenever you want.. altoghether now,

"say it loud, we're PSP and proud" Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.